Limbaugh arrested

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 01:15 pm
What is actually pathetic is the attempt to blame Cyclo for a thread he did not start, but worse, to quibble about terms in the feeble attempt to do so.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 01:16 pm
Laughing You should think about not judging people so quickly online; I was a DittoHead for years before I decided not to be an asshole anymore.

Now, with the advent of the internet, Rush is pretty irellevant. It's funny to see someone who had such harsh things to say about drug users get his come-uppance, but not really important compared to the myriad other Republican scandals right now.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 01:19 pm
Thanks Cy for the post. Certainly some of the comments could easily be called ridiculing and a bit overboard to make his point, but I would stop well short of demonizing. Of course, now maybe Rush has a better idea of how easily one can become addicted to drugs. Which doesn't excuse the behavior, btw.

Nor do any of these comments necessarily make him a hypocrite. He may well still view drug users the same way, it is just that now he has fallen into that same company. And if he has or is trying to kick the dependency (as it appears he is) then he deserves the same recognition for trying to do so as anyone else who tries to do so.

Just my two cents on this. Personally, I don't think it is worth the space this has taken up on A2K. He is just some talk show celebrity whose opinions are no more valuable than any other celebrity who believes their celebrity status gives weight to what they believe. Course, that's just my opinion. And I'm no celebrity, so take it for what it is worth. :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 01:23 pm
I think a good deal of the outrage that some people feel, CR, comes from Limbaugh's style. He constantly seeks to inflame his audience with hot-button topics, and drug abuse is one of them. He did that while he abused drugs himself. One can have all the compassion in the world for his situation, without ignoring the hypocricy he peddled as he sank into his own, personal drug hell.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 01:30 pm
True Set. He uses hot button topics to inflame his audience, which is probably no different than any other talk radio host does, be they liberal or conservative. I wonder if the outrage directed at him is because he has done it so well and become so successful at it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 01:32 pm
Perhaps, although the hypocricy just makes it worse.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 01:36 pm
Keep in mind that since the days of Richard Nixon and his "moral majority," conservatives have wrapped themselves in moral superiority. That makes this particular example of hypocricy all the more poignant and damning.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 02:17 pm
What Set said about hypocrisy.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 02:35 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
True Set. He uses hot button topics to inflame his audience, which is probably no different than any other talk radio host does, be they liberal or conservative. I wonder if the outrage directed at him is because he has done it so well and become so successful at it.

Wrong, lots of radio hosts do not pander, inflame and lie like druggie does. Not by a longshot, maybe other righties do, but liberal hosts don't.

I just love how when you have no other defense, you resort to the "everybody does it" canard. Really, it gets old.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 02:37 pm
What gets tiresome for me about righties is their constant blaming of Clinton on almost every issue.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 02:38 pm
WhoodaThunk wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I had already read, of course, the newsweek link.

Then you know this quote from that article takes most of the wind out of your sails:

" LIMBAUGH ARRESTED was the immediate headline on the wires and on TV, but the word "arrest" was misleading. In fact, Limbaugh had pleaded not guilty, and his lawyer had worked out a deal that would cause the single charge to be dropped after 18 months as long as Limbaugh stayed out of trouble and continued to see a doctor who has helped him with an addiction to painkillers."

Rush Limbaugh was indeed arrested. The word "arrest" simply means being taken into police custody. An arrest (taking the accused into police custody) is a critical and necessary stage of a criminal proceeding. An arrest commences the prosecutorial/adjudicative stage of the criminal proceeding. It marks the date for calculations with respect to applicable statutes of limitation and constitutional and statutory speedy trial requirements.

When the NewsWeek story suggests that the word "arrest" is misleading, it does so because NewsWeek apparently assumes that the American people are so ignorant and uninformed that they can't possibly understand what an ordinary word means when they read it. NewsWeek wrongfully assumes that the American people will read the word "arrest" and wrongfully assume that police authorities went out and hunted the suspect down, cornered him somewhere, slapped handcuffs on him, and dragged him to jail.

Well, NewsWeek made the proverbial ass out of itself when it underestimated the intelligence of the American people and assumed that the readers of headlines are too stupid to understand the meaning of the word "arrest." Most of us (meaning, those of us who have a few working brain cells and do not live in insane asylums with spit drooling down our chins) understand that an arrest can be effectuated either by the police going out, locating the accused, and placing the accused into police custody--OR by the accused voluntarily surrendering himself into police custody.

Look at the case of Kobe Bryant. When Kobe was accused of rape, a criminal complaint was filed, an arrest warrant was issued, and the Eagle County Colorado law enforcement authorities allowed Kobe to surrender himself to police custody. After the arrest warrant was issued, Kobe Bryant returned to Colorado from Los Angeles to surrender himself on July 4, 2003, and was released on a $25,000 bond. Only a moron would argue that Kobe Bryant was not arrested on charges of rape.

The same holds true for Limbaugh's case. Nevertheless, Limbaugh himself assumes that the American people are stupid and easily duped:

Quote:
After returning to his office on Friday, he recalled turning on the TV: "There's this news, 'Rush Limbaugh arrested on drug fraud!' I said, 'Where in the world did this come from?'"

He told his audience, "When you hear the word arrested, you think cops show up with a paddy wagon with shackles and leg irons and handcuffs and take me resisting out the door.

"None of that happened."

LINK to NewsMax.com story: Rush Limbaugh: Press Reports Bogus, Drug Case Closed.

Limbaugh assumes that he knows what you're thinking and assumes that you're stupid. He assumes that you are so stupid that you will ignorantly assume that the cops showed up with the paddy wagon; placed him in all kinds of iron restraints; and dragged him kicking and screaming out the door. Limbaugh built a strawman so he could tear it down and then announces to the morons of the country: "Your stupid, ignorant assumptions and thoughts [that I assume you have because I truly believe you're stupid and ignorant and easily manipulated and duped by my diversionary and distracting straw man tactics] are NOT TRUE--None of that happened."

Rush Limbaugh is pandering to the stupid.

Rush was indeed arrested. It doesn't matter that he voluntarily surrendered himself into police custody rather than having himself involuntarily dragged into police custody, he was still ARRESTED. But, if you fall into that category of stupid people whom Limbaugh enjoys manipulating, duping, and pandering to--have at it. However, most of us won't be joining you.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 03:58 pm
It is interesting how many people seem not to understand the meaning of the word arrest.

What is more interesting is how, as usual, the facts have been allowed to be obscured by meaningless debate about one word.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:01 pm
If Rush didn't turn himself in, the other part of the arrest would have taken place; the police would picked him up in their patty wagon or car, and take him in. That's the only step missing in the "arrest," a free ride to the station.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:40 pm
dlowan wrote:
What is more interesting is how, as usual, the facts have been allowed to be obscured by meaningless debate about one word.

Clinton's definition of "sex" for example.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:42 pm
quick, look over there...

It's Clinton....

No.. over there.. 9/11....
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:43 pm
Wow! 18 pages already about Rush... Whodda figured!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:46 pm
McG, It's cause you're also participat'n. LOL
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:53 pm
If would be interesting to have a truly impartial 3rd party read this thread and act as an armchair psychiatrist. Is the right nitpicking by questioning the negative connotations of an actual cuff & stuff arrest? Does the left feel cheated by being deprived of its big game trophy due to his plea bargaining? Which side engages in namecalling first? Most frequently? Which side relies most heavily on invective and perjoratives?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:55 pm
parados wrote:

It's Clinton....

Lol!

They are owned...lock, stock and two smoking barrels.

As I said once before, on their headstones shall be writ:

Died 20...

"Clinton Did It"
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:56 pm
parados wrote:

It's Clinton....

Tell me about it ... wherever 2 or more are gathered ... and #2 is usually Jesse Jackson.
0 Replies