Estate Taxation and Social Responsibility

parados

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 01:33 pm
Quote:

I have never suggested that the rich owe more to society than the rest of us. I would argue, however, that the rich get more from society, and so it is equitable to ask them to pay for commensurately more for it.

That is an argument that many can't seem to see. Capitalism requires a government that is helpful or at least indifferent.

Without infrastructure there would be no Walmart.
Without government protection of patents there would be no medical device companies.
Without government enforcement of property rights there would be no rich.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 01:38 pm
Quote:
WTF do you think I have been talking about??????? My answer to the problem is to stop spending so much god damn money. Your answer is to get more money to spend. And you claim I don't have a valid response???

Yes, I do. Spending can be brought under control through discipline; not even ten years ago we were paying the Debt down.

You are proposing that we spend less, and we take in less at the same time. How exactly is this going to help us pay the debt down? Right, it isn't, not in the slightest. The 'grow your way out of debt' argument is nothing but bullsh*t that cannot be reproduced from any existing data set.

The gov't needs money; we can work on controlling the efficiency of our spending, but to remove a huge chunk of revenue like you propose is fiscal madness and there is no goddamn good reason for it! At least, you haven't been able to provide one.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 01:44 pm
The math is very simple; don't spend more than your income, and save for your future needs.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 08:33 am
Still waiting to hear what the good reason to get rid of the estate tax is.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 08:47 am
Hold your breath.

I think the government already takes more than it's fair share of taxes and does a bad job spending it. I think people who make more money already pay more in taxes and should not be penalized for their success or non-success of others.

You think they "owe more to society" and should be made to pay more.

It is a philosophical difference of opinions with both of us unlikely to change any time soon and see no good reason to discuss it any further.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 08:50 am
Cheers, and I respect that, though for the record keeping the Estate Tax isn't asking the Rich to pay more, just asking them to pay what they currently pay.

Remember also that the Estate in question belongs to a dead person. You can't penalize a dead person. In effect, you are penalizing their inheritors; and that's a completely different taco than penalizing the person who earned the money.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 08:58 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Cheers, and I respect that, though for the record keeping the Estate Tax isn't asking the Rich to pay more, just asking them to pay what they currently pay.

Remember also that the Estate in question belongs to a dead person. You can't penalize a dead person. In effect, you are penalizing their inheritors; and that's a completely different taco than penalizing the person who earned the money.

Cycloptichorn

Fair enough.

Good talkin' to you Cyc. I always enjoy your confident/harsh yet respectful demeanor in these forums.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 09:01 am
I have to agree with Cyclo that the topic is taxation and government revenue, and not how it's spent. How government spends our money is a topic of its very own.

Taxation is all screwed up in this country, because the tax codes are made up of over 40,000 pages of gobbly gook, and no two expert tax accountants can come up with the same tax liability for the same person - especially the rich.

All citizens have a responsibility to pay their fair share, whatever that means, but that's impossible in todays tax code environment. The rich should pay a higher rate than the poor, simply because they can afford to and not impede on their lifestyle. That's all part and parcel of the opportunities provided by this country, and they should also have the responsibility to pay their fair share.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 11:12 am
One of the problems with eliminating the estate tax is how to figure capital gains.

With the estate tax, when a person inherits, the price for figuring capital gains is based on estimated price when they inherit it. If we eliminate the estate tax it leaves a problem. The rich could now bequeth to avoid capital gains. You suddenly have not just exempted them from estate taxes but partially exempted them from capital gains taxes.

Say someone buys an asset for $1mi, it has appreciated to $4 mil by the time the estate is settled. The person that inherits can sell it for $4mil the same day they inherit and the tax burden is $0. The rich have now become exempt except from capital gains tax because of generation skipping. Grandparents give to granchildren who sell, invest differently, hold and live off profits before bequething to their grandkids. Vast wealth production with no taxation.

I seem to recall one of the ways to get compensate for this was to keep the capital gains basis as the price paid by the original purchaser. This leaves another problem for those having to pay capital gains when they sell something they inherited. They have to know the cost basis from a generation or even more before or use the cost basis of $0. This prevents them from selling items at a loss like most people can with capital losses.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 11:02 am
Just wanted to update this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060608/ap_on_go_co/estate_tax

Quote:
Senate rejects effort to cut estate tax
By MARY DALRYMPLE, AP Tax Writer
55 minutes ago

Senators voted Thursday to reject a Republican effort to abolish taxes on inherited estates during an election year with control of Congress at stake.

GOP leaders had pushed senators to permanently eliminate the estate tax, which disappears in 2010 under President Bush's first tax cut, but rears up again a year later.

A 57-41 vote fell three votes short of advancing the bill. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., said the Senate will vote again this year on a tax that opponents call the "death tax."

"Getting rid of the death tax is just too important an issue to give up so easily," he said.

A small group of senators, knowing Republicans lacked the votes to eliminate the tax, had hoped to keep the issue alive with an agreement to remove the tax from smaller estates and lessen the hit on larger ones.

Frist had given the negotiators a lift by agreeing to give such a compromise a vote. That didn't give the tax's strongest critics enough support to maneuver the issue around Democratic opponents, however.

"The estate tax is an extremely costly tax for a wealthy few that comes at the expense of every other American born and yet to be born for decades to come," said Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev.

Sen. Max Baucus (news, bio, voting record), a Democrat who favors repealing the tax, had warned that negotiators working on a compromise needed more time. He said he hoped the vote would drive senators back to those talks.

Under current law this year, the first $2 million of a person's estate or $4 million of a couple's, escapes taxation. The remainder can be taxed at rates up to 46 percent.

According to the most recent statistics available from the Internal Revenue Service, 1.17 percent of people who died in 2002 left a taxable estate.

Sen. Jon Kyl (news, bio, voting record), R-Ariz., had been brokering a compromise among Republicans and Democrats interested in paring down the tax and rewriting the quirky law that kills and resurrects the tax.

He proposed exempting the first $5 million of an individual's estate, or $10 million of a couple's, from taxation. The size of estates escaping the tax would increase each year to keep pace with inflation.

Estates between $5 million and $30 million would be taxed at rates equal to capital gains, and the remainder would be taxed at 30 percent.

"That is a fair way to help the people at the lower end of the spectrum and yet collect the revenue from those very, very wealthy estates that we all agree can pay part of this estate tax," Kyl said.

That effort attracted some of the senators who had been wary of repealing the tax but agreeable to shrinking its impact on heirs, but it did not attract enough Democrats who had expressed interest in negotiating a deal.

Two Republicans, Sen. Lincoln Chafee (news, bio, voting record) of Rhode Island and Sen. George Voinovich (news, bio, voting record) of Ohio, broke with their party.

"Repealing the estate tax during this time of fiscal crisis would be incredibly irresponsible and intellectually dishonest," Voinovich said.

Good job Dems in the Senate! And cheers to Voinovich and Chafee for understanding the concept of fiscal sanity.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 11:54 am
Parados, that is a good description of the so-called stepped-up-basis rule. In summary, it means that, in the absence of the federal estate tax, the appreciation on property escapes taxation forever. So much for the claim that the estate tax amounts to double taxation. Indeed, I wager most of the property held in large estates is appreciation on securities and real estate.

What the wealthy, and the right, seem to be saying is that great wealth should be given better tax treatment than the income from work.

We are already in a plutocracy, and the elimination of the estate tax would just exacerbate the problem.

http://www.tompaine.com/articles/2006/06/26/blanched_democrats.php
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 12:06 pm
Advocate, Good observation. Wink
0 Replies