Estate Taxation and Social Responsibility

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:07 pm
This is a break from Set's 'A modest proposal' thread, to discuss in more detail the concept of estate taxes and social responsibility amongst the rich.

jpinMilwaukee wrote:
In order to keep my promise of not hijacking sets thread anymore, I thought I would pm you my response.

Quote:
First, they are taxed more in order to prevent the creation of a 'noble' class based upon money. By breaking up the 'old money' stranglehold, our society is kept away from the stratification that led to problems in Europe.

First, there are many selfmade millionaires that has nothing to do with "old money." Of course even if all the millionaries were of old money, you would have to assume that none of that money ever did any social good if we were to believe the premise that old money has a strangle hold on our society. I don't think this is the case. Many affluent people contribute heavily, not only in tax dollars, but also in charitable contributions. I think you are equating rich with greedy/bad and that is just not the case. Sure some people hold onto every red penny until their death but there are people like that in all aspects of life and have nothing to do with the amount of income they earn.

Furthermore, estates like this are often (not always but sometimes) go from one person or couple to multiple children. That may not be the distribution of wealth you had in mind but it is certainly within their right to do so and is in effect distributing wealth.

To start, read this for some historical perspective of why the Estate Tax was invented.

Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
Many Progressive Era (1900-1918) reforms resulted from this period, such as: child labor laws, voting rights for women, and the establishment of an income tax, which required the extraordinary step of amending the constitution. The estate tax was another one of these reforms. Those who made the case for the estate tax advanced arguments that are vital to the contemporary debate.

First, there was the belief that the hereditary transfer of concentrated wealth is incompatible with American values and democratic aspirations. Several decades after the passage of the tax, Franklin D. Roosevelt said, "Great accumulations of wealth cannot be justified on the basis of personal and family security … Such inherited economic power is as inconsistent with the ideals of this generation as inherited political power was inconsistent with the ideals of the generation which established our government."

A second belief was that society played a significant role in the creation of individual wealth and therefore had some claim upon the wealth of the very rich. In 1906, President Theodore Roosevelt proposed a federal inheritance tax, saying, "The man of great wealth owes a particular obligation to the State because he derives special advantages from the mere existence of government." Roosevelt recognized that wealthy citizens benefitted particularly from government protection of wealth and property rights.

In essence, the rich man benefits far more from our system than the poor man. It doesn't matter if he made the money himself, or not; our system of taxation, property, investment, law, and government are all highly preferrential to the rich. This creates an obligation to society on the part of the rich individual.

All men are created equal; without government, there wouldn't be any rich people at all. There would be no protection for one's property or money at all. The rights of the rich are protected by governement, and they deserve to pay for these rights.

It isn't really a matter of 'greedy' or not; it's a matter of duty and obligation. I really think that a sense of duty is what is missing from our society these days.

Quote:
Second, estates this large have far surpassed any reasonable question of standards of living. The inheritors are no worse off if they inherit 5 million instead of ten million; they are still disproportionally wealthy compared to everyone else on the planet, by a long shot.

So what? Are you going to start setting "reasonable" standards of living that peope have to abide by?

We already do this; the 'poverty line' is an example of a lower-end boundary on what we consider acceptable in society. Why not have an upper boundary?

What is the government going to do with ithe money that is any more effective than what the heirs would do with it? Spend more on a war that you don't support? Build a bridge in Alaska that serve no more than a couple of hundred people? Perhaps another obscure museum to some dead actor that noone cares about anymore? You might persuade me to agree with you if our government actually made life for the majority of people better. However, I bet our government wastes more money each day than all the inheritance taxes they could collect in a year with a 50% estate tax.

This is the conflation of two issues; I don't want to muddy the waters by getting into the ineffectiveness of government.

Quote:
Third, because without a society of hard-working individuals the deceased would never have been able to amass so much wealth.

So?

So they could not have the nice things they have without the work of hundreds and hundreds of poor and middle class folks. Some people seem to believe that the Rich exist in a vacuum. They do not. They benefit greatly from the hard work of others, and continue to manipulate the system (using money as their resource to do so) to make the gap wider; are you aware of the growing gap between the rich and the poor?

Quote:
They owe that money to the society which allowed them to reach the point they reached.

Pure BS. They paid them a wage, perhaps benefits, perhaps a pension, profit sharing, job/income stability with none of the risk investors take every day. They have been paid in full (unless the estate was made illegally on the backs of these people).

I disagree. The disproportionate amounts of wealth involved are truly mind-boggling. They have not been 'paid in full' by any means.

Now for a couple of declarative statements for you to chew on:

I believe that the Rich have greater responsibilities to society than the poor do, for they and their families benefit more from society and government than the poor do.

I believe that the Rich class has fought as hard as it could to not only stay on top, but to become even richer in comparison, no matter the cost to society at large, because for the most part they don't care about society at large.

I believe that the rich enjoy no special inherent advantage in our governmental system, but have manipulated and bribed their way into advantage, weaking our system as a whole.

I believe that the Estate Tax is a fair method of redistributing wealth to the society which provided the wealth in the first place. I believe that 99% of those affected by it are no worse off than they were before they were taxed.

I believe that we need some re-distribution of wealth in our society in order for America to continue on safely.

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,070 • Replies: 111
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:17 pm
Thanks for starting a new thread, Cyc. I gotta get to class but will respond later.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:28 pm
This is really getting confusing. I can't tell whose saying what in your post, Cyclo.

Mods, when is the quote function going to be fully functional again?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:34 pm
Sorry, Joe; this is confusing and frustrating for me as well.

The original post was here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1999769#1999769

Basically, it answered JP's question for why the Estate tax existed.

JP pm'd me a response, which I made into a new topic, and then responded to in red. Once the 'quote' box was finished I moved on to a few declarative statements.

Lemme repost the whole thing below

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:41 pm
Re: Estate Taxation and Social Responsibility
This is a break from Set's 'A modest proposal' thread, to discuss in more detail the concept of estate taxes and social responsibility amongst the rich.

JP:
Quote:
In order to keep my promise of not hijacking sets thread anymore, I thought I would pm you my response.

Cyclo:
Quote:
First, they are taxed more in order to prevent the creation of a 'noble' class based upon money. By breaking up the 'old money' stranglehold, our society is kept away from the stratification that led to problems in Europe.

First, there are many selfmade millionaires that has nothing to do with "old money." Of course even if all the millionaries were of old money, you would have to assume that none of that money ever did any social good if we were to believe the premise that old money has a strangle hold on our society. I don't think this is the case. Many affluent people contribute heavily, not only in tax dollars, but also in charitable contributions. I think you are equating rich with greedy/bad and that is just not the case. Sure some people hold onto every red penny until their death but there are people like that in all aspects of life and have nothing to do with the amount of income they earn.

Furthermore, estates like this are often (not always but sometimes) go from one person or couple to multiple children. That may not be the distribution of wealth you had in mind but it is certainly within their right to do so and is in effect distributing wealth.

To start, read this for some historical perspective of why the Estate Tax was invented.

Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
Many Progressive Era (1900-1918) reforms resulted from this period, such as: child labor laws, voting rights for women, and the establishment of an income tax, which required the extraordinary step of amending the constitution. The estate tax was another one of these reforms. Those who made the case for the estate tax advanced arguments that are vital to the contemporary debate.

First, there was the belief that the hereditary transfer of concentrated wealth is incompatible with American values and democratic aspirations. Several decades after the passage of the tax, Franklin D. Roosevelt said, "Great accumulations of wealth cannot be justified on the basis of personal and family security … Such inherited economic power is as inconsistent with the ideals of this generation as inherited political power was inconsistent with the ideals of the generation which established our government."

A second belief was that society played a significant role in the creation of individual wealth and therefore had some claim upon the wealth of the very rich. In 1906, President Theodore Roosevelt proposed a federal inheritance tax, saying, "The man of great wealth owes a particular obligation to the State because he derives special advantages from the mere existence of government." Roosevelt recognized that wealthy citizens benefitted particularly from government protection of wealth and property rights.

In essence, the rich man benefits far more from our system than the poor man. It doesn't matter if he made the money himself, or not; our system of taxation, property, investment, law, and government are all highly preferrential to the rich. This creates an obligation to society on the part of the rich individual.

All men are created equal; without government, there wouldn't be any rich people at all. There would be no protection for one's property or money at all. The rights of the rich are protected by governement, and they deserve to pay for these rights.

It isn't really a matter of 'greedy' or not; it's a matter of duty and obligation. I really think that a sense of duty is what is missing from our society these days.

JP:
Quote:

Cyclo:
Quote:
Second, estates this large have far surpassed any reasonable question of standards of living. The inheritors are no worse off if they inherit 5 million instead of ten million; they are still disproportionally wealthy compared to everyone else on the planet, by a long shot.

So what? Are you going to start setting "reasonable" standards of living that peope have to abide by?

We already do this; the 'poverty line' is an example of a lower-end boundary on what we consider acceptable in society. Why not have an upper boundary?

Quote:
What is the government going to do with ithe money that is any more effective than what the heirs would do with it? Spend more on a war that you don't support? Build a bridge in Alaska that serve no more than a couple of hundred people? Perhaps another obscure museum to some dead actor that noone cares about anymore? You might persuade me to agree with you if our government actually made life for the majority of people better. However, I bet our government wastes more money each day than all the inheritance taxes they could collect in a year with a 50% estate tax.

This is the conflation of two issues; I don't want to muddy the waters by getting into the ineffectiveness of government.

Quote:

Quote:
Third, because without a society of hard-working individuals the deceased would never have been able to amass so much wealth.

So?

So they could not have the nice things they have without the work of hundreds and hundreds of poor and middle class folks. Some people seem to believe that the Rich exist in a vacuum. They do not. They benefit greatly from the hard work of others, and continue to manipulate the system (using money as their resource to do so) to make the gap wider; are you aware of the growing gap between the rich and the poor?
Quote:

Quote:
They owe that money to the society which allowed them to reach the point they reached.

Pure BS. They paid them a wage, perhaps benefits, perhaps a pension, profit sharing, job/income stability with none of the risk investors take every day. They have been paid in full (unless the estate was made illegally on the backs of these people).
I disagree. The disproportionate amounts of wealth involved are truly mind-boggling. They have not been 'paid in full' by any means.

I believe that the Rich have greater responsibilities to society than the poor do, for they and their families benefit more from society and government than the poor do.

I believe that the Rich class has fought as hard as it could to not only stay on top, but to become even richer in comparison, no matter the cost to society at large, because for the most part they don't care about society at large.

I believe that the rich enjoy no special inherent advantage in our governmental system, but have manipulated and bribed their way into advantage, weaking our system as a whole.

I believe that the Estate Tax is a fair method of redistributing wealth to the society which provided the wealth in the first place. I believe that 99% of those affected by it are no worse off than they were before they were taxed.

I believe that we need some re-distribution of wealth in our society in order for America to continue on safely.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 04:11 pm
Quote:

Why? Because some people in society can't make it? The wealthy are always demonized despite whatever they do or how they earn their money, the poor will hate them.

How much has Bill Gates given to charity when compared to every person on welfare in the city of Seattle? Who would you say has benefitted society more? The adventurous entrepreneur or the mom that has 10 kids so she can get a bigger SS check?

How does giving the government a portion of ones estate help anyone? They waste it on pork-barrell spending and pet projects that only keep themselves in office.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 04:17 pm
Quote:

So which is it here? If one accepts that "...the Rich have greater responsibilities to society than the poor do, for they and their families benefit more from society and government than the poor do. " is true then "I believe that the rich enjoy no special inherent advantage in our governmental system..." can't be true.

You can't have it both ways. Either they have an advantage that allows them to benefit or they don't have an advantage. Earlier in your post you stated "In essence, the rich man benefits far more from our system than the poor man. It doesn't matter if he made the money himself, or not; our system of taxation, property, investment, law, and government are all highly preferrential to the rich." So which is it here? You seem to be confused about what you believe.

Quote:

Of course, you have absolutely no basis for this claim. It may be what you believe but that demonstrates your own misguided thinking more than anything else. The rich, by and large, got there by playing within the rules society set for them and they were successful at it. How is it "fair" (see below) that they should be penalized for playing within the rules and their money should be redistruibuted to people who either didn't play by the rules or weren't successful?

And who exactly is this "rich class"? According to census data, 90% of those who fall within the top 5% of wealth holders at the time of any one census aren't in that same 5% 20 years later. The fact of the matter is that wealth moves. There are very few that manage to hold onto it for very long.

Quote:

Fair? What happened to equeal treatment under the law? When do I get to decide what is "fair"? Who are you to decide when someone is better off or not? This sounds more like jealousy on your part than anything else. I suspect if someone showed up at your door and took your assets with the excuse that someone else didn't have them you'd be screaming about how that isn't "fair" either.

Quote:

I believe this is a load of poop.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 04:40 pm
Quote:
Quote:

So which is it here? If one accepts that "...the Rich have greater responsibilities to society than the poor do, for they and their families benefit more from society and government than the poor do. " is true then "I believe that the rich enjoy no special inherent advantage in our governmental system..." can't be true.

You can't have it both ways. Either they have an advantage that allows them to benefit or they don't have an advantage. Earlier in your post you stated "In essence, the rich man benefits far more from our system than the poor man. It doesn't matter if he made the money himself, or not; our system of taxation, property, investment, law, and government are all highly preferrential to the rich." So which is it here? You seem to be confused about what you believe.

Not at all. Read carefully. The rich don't have an inherent advantage in our system. In no governmental documents relating to the founding of our nation will you find rules stating that the Rich constitute a seperate class.

But they have achieved an advantage through many years of bribery and manipulation of the system to their advantage.

There is no contradiction in my statements. Though our political system did not inherently prefer the rich, it now does so, in no small part to the ceaseless work of the rich to make this so.

Quote:

Quote:

Of course, you have absolutely no basis for this claim. It may be what you believe but that demonstrates your own misguided thinking more than anything else. The rich, by and large, got there by playing within the rules society set for them and they were successful at it. How is it "fair" (see below) that they should be penalized for playing within the rules and their money should be redistruibuted to people who either didn't play by the rules or weren't successful?

And who exactly is this "rich class"? According to census data, 90% of those who fall within the top 5% of wealth holders at the time of any one census aren't in that same 5% 20 years later. The fact of the matter is that wealth moves. There are very few that manage to hold onto it for very long.

Got a link to that census data?

I think you drastically underestimate the influence the rich have had on creating the 'rules society set for them.' They certainly have created numerous ways to not only maximize fortunes, but to do it at the expense of the American taxpayer and society at large through manipulation of legal and tax codes. Just look at Cheney - he pocketed an extra cool million on his tax return by using loopholes related to Katrina donations. A sterling example of manipulating the system.

Quote:

Quote:

Fair? What happened to equeal treatment under the law? When do I get to decide what is "fair"? Who are you to decide when someone is better off or not? This sounds more like jealousy on your part than anything else. I suspect if someone showed up at your door and took your assets with the excuse that someone else didn't have them you'd be screaming about how that isn't "fair" either.

Sheesh, stop being so dramatic. I decide what is fair. You decide what is fair. You do it with your vote. You are of course well aware of how we run things here in America, so I'm a little confused as to why you seem so upset by this point.

Every time I get into a conversation about wealth redistribution, the 'jealousy' card always comes up. It's funny to me. What makes you think that rich people are any happier than anyone else, eh? You don't need stuff to be happy.

The Estate tax, and wealth redistribution, aren't about stuff or extra money for me or jealousy. It is about recognizing that we all have a duty to support the society which supports us; and we should give back according to what we get. Our country will not survive if we don't support the country, and the idea that people don't owe anything to society is purely ridiculous.

Quote:
Quote:

I believe this is a load of poop.

So what? You haven't shown me any reason at all to think that your opinion of the issue is one that I should care about. This post is pretty typical of what I would expect from you.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 04:48 pm
Quote:

I too am curious where this can be found in the census data.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 04:58 pm
Oh, yes, I forgot.

Who is rich? I would say the top 1 or 2 percent of society is truly rich.

http://www.faireconomy.org/images/Inequality.org/Dist_Net_Worth_2001.gif
http://www.faireconomy.org/research/wealth_charts.html

I would wager that the 'turnover' you cite mostly lies in the top 5-3%, while the top 1-2% hold on to the vast majority of money.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 06:11 pm
Quote:
Not at all. Read carefully. The rich don't have an inherent advantage in our system. In no governmental documents relating to the founding of our nation will you find rules stating that the Rich constitute a seperate class.

But they have achieved an advantage through many years of bribery and manipulation of the system to their advantage.

There is no contradiction in my statements. Though our political system did not inherently prefer the rich, it now does so, in no small part to the ceaseless work of the rich to make this so.

Either you simply have no clue what you are talking about or you are mis-using the word "inherently". If the advantages are built into the exsisting system of laws that exist today they are there inherently (instrinsicly). Whether something is inherent or not has nothing to do with whether or not it was in the laws when the country was founded.

Quote:

Got a link to that census data?

Sift through the SIPP data:
http://www.bls.census.gov/sipp/

Quote:
I think you drastically underestimate the influence the rich have had on creating the 'rules society set for them.' They certainly have created numerous ways to not only maximize fortunes, but to do it at the expense of the American taxpayer and society at large through manipulation of legal and tax codes. Just look at Cheney - he pocketed an extra cool million on his tax return by using loopholes related to Katrina donations. A sterling example of manipulating the system.

And you dramatically overestimate their influence. The top 20% of income earners shoulder 81% of all Federal taxes and the bottom 20% not only don't pay any taxes at all but they get income redistributed to them as it is (the bottom 20% of households have a total tax burden of -3%).

Quote:

Every time I get into a conversation about wealth redistribution, the 'jealousy' card always comes up. It's funny to me. What makes you think that rich people are any happier than anyone else, eh? You don't need stuff to be happy.

If you don't need wealth to be happy then why are you so concerned about it being redistributed? Why can't everyone be happy with exactly what they've got?

Quote:
The Estate tax, and wealth redistribution, aren't about stuff or extra money for me or jealousy. It is about recognizing that we all have a duty to support the society which supports us; and we should give back according to what we get. Our country will not survive if we don't support the country, and the idea that people don't owe anything to society is purely ridiculous.

Uh huh... It's not about extra money for you? It's just about someone else having more money. Just, ya know, so those poor people can not be happy and all...

I agree though, that each of us owes something to society. I disagree that it's up to society to decide what I or anyone else owes above and beyond the same equitable standard taxes that everyone else pays. What someone should pay beyond that is, IMO, their own decision to make.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 06:41 pm
SIPP only lists asset data from 1993, 1995, 1998 and 2000. There is no 20 year study even though SIPP began in 1984, I can't find asset figures for 1984 nor can I find figures for 2004. No 20 years is covered. And even one 20 year period if it showed such movement would hardly be a good sample to claim 90% move in or out every 20 years.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 06:59 pm
If I may Cyclo... I'm pasting what I said on the other thread, since the discussion has moved here.

---------------

re the estate tax, in this year 2006, an estate worth less than 2 million dollars is not subject to a federal estate tax. If the estate is over 2 million, only the amount over that is subject to federal estate tax.

Actually a couple could shelter 4 million dollars from estate tax with an A B Trust.

In this type of trust, one person is A, the other B. Let's assume they split 4 million between the 2 livng trusts.
When either A or B dies, the first 2 million remains untaxed in the trust. When B dies, his 2 million goes to his/her heirs, along with the untaxed 2 million when the first person died.

So, I don't think that's a common occurance for middle or lower income people. Unless there was a rich uncle that came out of the woodwork that no one knew about.

The number of estates that the estate tax effects is so small, it's hardly even worth talking about.

Somewhere between 1% and 2% of estates are large enough to encur any tax.

Again, the tax is on the part of the money OVER the current $2,000,000 limit. $4,000,000 for a couple, and $4,000,000 if they had an AB Trust.

All of an estate left to a spouse, regardless of it's size, has no estate tax.

Also, the rationale for the tax on the amount over the limit is that it's tax being paid on unrealized capital gains.

In addition, the estate tax is figured and paid BEFORE any heirs receive their inheritance. It's not as if individuals are all having to figure the tax they owe. That is taken care of by the lawyers, accountants, and executor...btw, if you feel sorry for the executor having to do all this work, they can, if they desire, take a really big cut off the top of the estate, and a percentage of income earned by the estate during probate, for the work they have to do. That fee is taxable as income however.

One thing to consider though, bringing to mind the middle class....a $2,000,000 left to one person is quite a different matter than the same estate left to 5 or 6 people.

In other words, if you are truly wealthy, you have been giving maximum cash gifts to your heirs every year, decreasing your estate with no tax to them, and by the time of death, no one is living on the street.

For those inheriting truly large estates, dealing with other matters are probably more pressing than tax owed on an estate that has been well managed.

As was said, if I ended up with 9 million, or 14 million, it's not going to make an difference. When the numbers get that large, there's hardly anyone in your boat.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:00 pm
Quote:
Uh huh... It's not about extra money for you? It's just about someone else having more money. Just, ya know, so those poor people can not be happy and all...

No, I think that we need money simply to keep our society afloat these days. You do realize that we are severely in the red, as a nation? I don't believe in the 'grow your way out of debt by spending like drunken sailors' theory of economic development. Nor do I buy into the concept that money really does trickle down to the lower levels in the way that some claim it does.

Quote:
I agree though, that each of us owes something to society. I disagree that it's up to society to decide what I or anyone else owes above and beyond the same equitable standard taxes that everyone else pays. What someone should pay beyond that is, IMO, their own decision to make.

Fortunately for society, it doesn't matter whether you agree that society has the right to decide what you owe in taxes or not. Your opinion is immaterial to our governement's ability to tax you. This has been amply proven many times in the past, much to the disgust of those who espouse the viewpoint that a multi-millionare paying 15% taxes is equal to a middle-class family paying 15% taxes.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:13 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Fortunately for society, it doesn't matter whether you agree that society has the right to decide what you owe in taxes or not. Your opinion is immaterial to our governement's ability to tax you.

Really? Have you managed to strip me of my right to vote and my right to be represented in Congress? Unfortunately for you, I have just as much say in the matter as anyone else does.

Quote:
This has been amply proven many times in the past, much to the disgust of those who espouse the viewpoint that a multi-millionare paying 15% taxes is equal to a middle-class family paying 15% taxes.

Yes, of course.. Because paying the same percentage of their income in taxes would be FAIR wouldn't it? Oh wait... "Fair" was supposedly what you wanted earlier in this thread. But once again YOU want to be the person that decides what is fair and what isn't. Only the rich have responsibilities in your world. Your hypocrisy knows no bounds.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 07:27 am
fishin -

I still want to know where you got your 20 years, 90% move out of the top 5% figures..

SIPP only started tracking people by assigning unique IDs in 1992 according to their information.

There is no 20 year 90% move out figures to be found in SIPP.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 08:09 am
fishin' wrote:
Unfortunately for you, I have just as much say in the matter as anyone else does.

Indeed.

fishin' wrote:
Yes, of course.. Because paying the same percentage of their income in taxes would be FAIR wouldn't it? Oh wait... "Fair" was supposedly what you wanted earlier in this thread. But once again YOU want to be the person that decides what is fair and what isn't. Only the rich have responsibilities in your world. Your hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Depends on what you mean by "fair." Why is a system in which everyone pays the same percentage of their income as taxes necessarily "fair"?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 08:20 am
It does raise the question of fairness....

Everyone pays $5,000
Everyone pays 10% of their income
Everyone pays 1% of their assets
Everyone has $50,000 left after paying.

Fairness seems to be associated with what gets a person the most. It is the rare person that is willing to sacrifice a lot more than anyone else.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 08:22 am
Anyone so devoted to fairness must, of necessity, oppose all regressive taxation (given the simple-minded definition of "fair" which is here implied)--so i suspect we can assume that Fishin is opposed to sales taxes and excise taxes.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 08:50 am
How many people here have ever given the government more than their required tax amount or ever sent back a tax return check because they have a "greater responsibility to society"?

All this talk of redistribution of wealth just makes me wonder if anyone ever puts their money where their mouth is?
0 Replies