You and your garden - getting to know all about you

jeanbean

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 08:40 pm
bandylu,
I am a member of gardenweb, yet couldn't locate it.
Please post a link, as I am curious as to size of their ponds.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 08:44 pm
Boy, do I feel dumb. Here's the link I thought I posted:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/ponds/

You'll have to go back through the questions, jeanbean. Haven't been on it for a while (I'm out of my gardening mood now) so I'm not sure how far back it was that they were talking about their ponds.

That's where I found out you can 'plant' pond plants in gravel only (or kitty litter though it's apparently a bit messier). Saves a bundle over buying aquatic soil and works great since the plants are getting their nutrients from the water/fish anyway.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 10:37 pm
A little late to the party as usual.... Rolling Eyes

Hi everybody
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 10:42 pm
Hi littlek!

ehBeth, I'd hoped to not have to weed, but the nightshade (sozlet likes to pick things, especially berries) and ragweed (hubby's got asthma) wouldn't do. Do you have any recommendations on how to make that less of an issue next year? Tried to get them out before they went to seed.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 11:00 pm
Hi!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 07:59 am
Hi there little k! Last person to the party has to bring snacks you know! Shocked
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 08:03 am
Neutral They don't call me "black thumb" for nothing!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 10:30 am
uuuuhhhmmm, snax? hmm.. here's some home grown tomatoes and basil on toast with a drizzle of olive oil.

Phoenix, your avatar is wonderful and so seemingly at odds with the title "black thumb".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 11:44 am
hey, l'k!

can i have some roasted garlic on my toast?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 11:44 am
soz - i'll be back later with some ideas for ya!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 06:01 pm
Of course, Beth, silly I didn't mention the garlic.....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 06:22 pm
psssssssst, l'k - aren't you getting a bit cold?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 08:59 pm
what...? No, I HAVE a col--- oh, the coconuts.

:wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 09:55 pm
(Waiting patiently for Bethie's advice and handing Li'l K a nice pashmina -- hey, they're over, but they're warm and soft and CHEAP! Very Happy)

(Realizing that I'd better not call the person I want to get advice from "Bethie" -- wondering if "Her exaltedness, ehBeth" will work...)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 09:14 pm
thanks for the shawl, soz. I think what you're doing in your wild-flower garden is just right.
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 06:08 pm
water gardening
Hi,

Having been a Fenway gardener for over 10 years before moving to Hawaii I would suggest a trip out to the Fenway and look at some of the ponds there the gardeners have built - (They are very competitive) so you will see some pretty amazing gardens, ponds et al. There is a wonderful nursery past Scituate going towards Marshfield that carries all the supplies, accessories and water plants you would need. It's called Kennedys. It's tops in my book, worth the trip.

regards,

lavadawn
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 06:12 pm
A Fenway gardener! Cool!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 06:14 pm
sozobe - what were we doing with your garden? must read <<<
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 06:23 pm
went back and read - gotcha on the safety (nightshade) and health (ragweed) issues. Too bad you can't find a way to corral off the nightshade - it really is a gorgeous plant in the autumn.

Pulling everything up by the deepest roots before the plant starts to go to seed is definitely the best route to go for those. One thing you can look at, is picking something invasive in your area that you like and planting it to control some of the plants you don't want to keep (just be sure to put in good subterranean barriers to keep it from spreading even further). Bishop's gout and periwinkle are two of the better candidates in our sort of mutual zone. Mint is good in areas you'll be walking on - not dangerous for the Sozlet, and the effect can be fun.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 07:04 pm
Hi folks!

I hadn't noticed this thread before today. Looks like we've got some nice gardens among the A2K'ers.

I thought I'd share my enthusiasm for hollies. They make great decorative shrubs. The color, shape and texture of the leaves
look nice in the garden year round. I have two which prune back annually to keep them in their allotted spaces.

The bonus with hollies of course are the beautiful red berries.
I'm going to cut off several sprays to share with relatives for
holiday door decorations.
0 Replies