Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 01:01 pm
Blatham made me laugh recently when he said that if this forum were to be run like a victorian tea party he'd avoid colorful language and type with his pinkie upraised.

I have always been fascinated by the jutting pinkie. Why do people do it? When did it become dainty? Why do some people consider it rude?

Why do some people feign it? Why is it snobby? Isn't it funny? Was a friend of mine lying when he said his guiding hand while urinating often sported a jutting pinkie? Do you raise your pinkie?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 5,524 • Replies: 15
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 06:54 pm
A FEIGNED pinkie? Yikes! What good is a feigned pinkie?

Peeing with a pinkie? What does that do - make peeing respectable - like not vulgar.....?

What else would this act of raising the wittle pinkie sanctify? Could it make playing with oneself dignified and acceptable in public?

teehee

No - but seriously folks - I have no idea why this pinkie thing came to be - but I know it looks stooooooooooooopid - and I also know I do it without thinking when I drink from proper lil teacups.....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 07:24 pm
"Contrary to popular belief, the ring and pinkie fingers should not be extended, but should rest by curving gently back toward your wrist. There are two theories about this. One considers the Chinese custom of drinking tea in small cups with no handles. The hot tea tended to burn the tender, sensitive skin of the pinkie fingers, causing them to hold them away from the hot cup. The other theory dates back to the middle ages when the gentry, or upper classes ate with only three fingers and the commoners ate with all five. To extend one's pinkie was an indication of arrogance, an inflated self-importance and was really rather rude. So despite the fact that children often play "tea party" and drink with their pinkies raised, it really isn't a considerate gesture and should be eliminated."

link to pinkies up? nope

i always thought it was something like the first idea, as i had trouble holding fancy cups when i was small - it was a sort of balance/don't burn issue
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 07:31 pm
b
Don't Finishing Schools offer a course on THE PINKIE?

How to use it and when? I thought I read something about the pinkie and it's angle relative to the glass, when drinking beer. Maybe BUD has published a scientific article on the PINKIES OF THE BEER DRINKERs.

(WHAS UP!) Drunk
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 12:37 am
I have heard of feigned climaxes but never feigned pinkies.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 03:15 am
What a dear site, Beth - why, just seeing "strait-laced" spelt correctly, and hence obviously understood, set my pinkies a-quiver!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 05:00 am
I only do it because it's the natural postition in some circumstances.

[growls] Deb, is youse is picking on me again? I never said feigning pinkies me said feigning the jut [/growls]
[snarls] Is you is wanna keep that pinkie? [/snarls]
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 07:22 am
It is a darling little site, isn't it. About 1800 nice people (i was going to say women, but i spotted some men) discussing tea and crafts and family-life. I love the little teapots marking each topic!
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 07:54 am
According to National Geographic, thumbs are evolving, so why not pinkies?

http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0212/resources_who.html
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 08:01 am
welcome, whoodathunk!
Good morning, and welcome, Whoodathunk.
Always nice to see you in the morning Smile
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 08:27 am
Well, WhoodaThunk it? Grand to see you.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 08:40 am
There's no question about it, the thumb beats the pinky, hands down. Digitally speaking, it sets us apart in the animal kingdom. I've not once had a pet that could pick up after itself, although my cat does manage to bury sh_t.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 12:15 pm
My brother broke his pinkie finger when he was young and consequently always drinks his tea with pinkie upraised. I'll have to ask him about the urinating thing, though.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 12:57 pm
Whoooooda! Welcome! :-D
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 04:58 pm
Ah, WhoodaThunk? is here. What could be better than that?

Thumbs are evolving, pinkies are evolving, and the ecology adapts. Who can say for certain that a few aluminum beer cans on the wayside haven't somehow become essential to the ecology?
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 08:12 pm
I haven't checked back since my original post, so I just now want to thank all who offered warm welcomes. A pinky-raised Boy Scout salute to you all.
0 Replies