ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:20 pm
While I was at the grocery store today, I picked up another half-dozen little plastic food storage containers. You know - fridge, freezer, microwave safe.

Where do they go? I've been buying these for over 20 years now - Tupperware (man, those were expensive), Rubbermaid, Glad, No-Name ...

I should have enough to store everything in the house in some kind of plastic container. But I don't. I've got some containers without lids. Some lids without containers. Some lids that got warped in the dishwasher and don't fit the containers anymore. Some containers that got horribly stained with tomato sauce or curry.

Where are they all? Did I leave thousands of them at some potluck? If so, shouldn't I have thousands of other people's here?

Are they with littlek's left underwire? Phoenix's socks?

Where do they go?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,123 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:25 pm
If your house is like my house:
Your husband has a few outside, storing nails and useless widgets that have no identity.
Your children use them to feed and water dogs when they secretly let them inside on a rainy day.
You sent soup to your mother and never got it back.
Your daughter used a couple on a Band Trip and doesn't feel the need to bring it back, since it no longer has her food in it.
You have used them to pack away a couple of small Christmas ornaments, and forgot.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:27 pm
Tupperware gremlins.. The little buggers sneak into your kitchen at night and steal them while you are sound asleep! Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:28 pm
ehBeth, In the trash. We think of them as disposables, so like plastic wrap, they go into the trash. That's where they go. c.i.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:33 pm
Maybe somewhere in the back of the freezer, full of delicious meals from times past, but now it's impossible to know what they are? ... & worse, WHEN they were put there! Shocked
Nah, I'm speaking about myself here, ehBeth, I'm sure you have these things much more under control than this! Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:36 pm
Wow! Beth. I wish I knew what to tell ya. We do have the containers without lids and lids without containers, but we have so many containers I can't keep track of them. I make big batches of stews, soups, etc... and freeze them, so lots of my containers end up in the freezer, but I don't see many of them vanish. Hmmmm.... This is quite the mystery.

Seems that Phoenix and I share the missing socks mystery though. Drives me crazy. I'll buy new socks and before you know it I'm left with a bunch of single socks. Shakes and scratches head!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:42 pm
There's a separate dimension for these things. You know...the sock, the car keys, the tupperware, etc. I think you have to go through a worm hole in space to find them.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:46 pm
Montana, And I bet those containers without lids and lids without containers are all the same size. LOL c.i.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 09:06 pm
LOL Cicerone! I wish they were my friend ;-)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 09:13 pm
I know what Beth means - but I got rid of all of mine a few months ago, when all the years of environmentalists warning us not to store food or drinking stuff in plastic - especially when hot - came together in a friend's oncologist's advice to put that warning high on her list of things to be aware of in trying to avoid further cancers.

And then I broke the lid of my favourite glass storeage bowl!

However, I know where THAT went.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 09:21 pm
I am part environmentalista, and part I just don't like plastic that much for aesthetic reasons, and so...I save the odd big glass jar. Since I don't buy that many big glass jars, since I happen to like fresh and seasonal produce...this brings scant glass jars, but luckily I only need tiny glass jars for my painting efforts, and happen to like this certain brand of tandoori sauce..

KMart, a place I never set foot in until I moved northnorth, has, or had, some Martha Stewart glass containers, with rubbery tops. Almost as good as my mother's old pyrex containers.

I can see buying recycled plastic stuff sometimes...but Never new, geez.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 09:32 pm
I remember those pyrex containers! They had sort of columny raised parts all around them - or waves of glass, if you will.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 10:08 pm
The pyrex also disappears.
I don't get it.
I went to the Corning Glass Museum and associated outlet with hamburger and mrs. hamburger years ago. Bought a whole set of matching/co-ordinating storage containers. I recall trading some in an icky colour for some in a better colour with an old room-mate. I think there is one bottom and 2 tops left of that set. None of them go together.
I've bought some other pyrex storage containers at Goodwill. I like it for some things, but it doesn't stack as well as the plastic and it's waaaaaaaaay too heavy to take to work with lunch bits in it.
Plastic disappears.
Pyrex disappears.
Forks disappear in this house.
and teaspoons.
I wonder if the dogs have hidden anything else along with Setanta's socks.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 10:13 pm
ehBeth, You have a thief lurking......
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 10:16 pm
Sea Imp :wink: , I think sofia gave me the lead on 3 or 4 of the containers. I left them at longdog/ginny's country place. I took them for the dogs to use.

4 located. only 2 or 3 thousand left to track down Shocked
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 10:18 pm
Them lil' doggies is definite sock theives . . . you oughta grill 'em, see if they know anything about Phoenix's socks . . .
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 10:50 pm
ehBeth, I have way more lids than containers. Perhaps we can arrange for an international Tupperware exchange.

There will be peace through plasticware!
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 10:51 pm
Just the opposite here. I not only bought containers, I saved them. Not a carton of sour cream that didn't get washed out and saved. All these yoghurt containers. And I used them. Sent food home with the kids, made and stored in the freezer. Lost hardly a one. Well, we sold the house and moved. And my husband unloaded bags and bags of all those containers and lids at the curb. Next morning they were gone - guess somebody else liked them.

Now I too use the occasional glass jar, and the occasional plastic container. Difference is, I now have only one shelf for them.

Had I known you then, eh, I would have kept you well-supplied. Never seemed to lose either tops or bottoms.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 11:55 pm
Yah, well, we should add ceramics. I remember my mother's little french bean pots.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 12:27 am
You people never read "The Borrowers" I gather?
0 Replies