childhood friendship gone very sour....

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 05:59 pm
I don't know how to handle this really...

I have been friends with this girlfriend since i was 6 ( 16 years of friendship) we even stayed friends over continents (she lived in glasgow for a decade while i stayed here in jo'burg). Anyway she moved back here at the end of last year (novmeber) we were very close. Then suddenly wham bam over.

Anyway she used to get drunk and abusive towards me (we did alot of crazy things any of you seen "y tu mama tambien" swop the boys for girls it was like that with us including the end of the friendship it seems). I mean it was a friendship where we shared EVERYTHING. But she became so abusive and egocentric near the end; it all happened so fast.

Then after 3 months of not being friends we speak at a club and we decide to hook up for cofee yesterday, she stood me up! I waited for her for forty minutes phoned her twenty times, nothing, nada. She never called me later but she came to mutal friends birthday last night and pretended like nothing happned.

I confront, she says oh i heard my phone ringing but i was driving i got caught up and couldn't come. So I look her in the eye pause go "oh... that does not impress me." and then i turn and walk off. If she had slapped me it would have been better.

I feel this might be the straw that broke the lame camel's back... sigh.

Sorry it's so long but trust me it could be longer Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,870 • Replies: 36
No top replies

JPB

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 07:02 pm
Re: childhood friendship gone very sour....
tagged_lyricist wrote:

I feel this might be the straw that broke the lame camel's back... sigh.

Sixteen years ago you were both different people. I can't imagine why this wouldn't be the last straw.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 07:17 pm
JB said it. Sounds like you really need to move on from this friend.
I do know how hard it is to cut off the ties with an old friend, though.
I had a few like your friend.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 07:52 pm
Very few friends are meant to last a lifetime. You're lucky if you meet one or two.

I think it's time for you to consider this friendship a thing of the past. Let it go.
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 03:00 am
yeah i agree, it's just well hard. especially when i see her everywhere
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 03:03 am
I supoose it is because we were so close until january , we even went away together for two weeks in december 9where the abuse began on a serous level when she was drunk).
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 09:15 am
Yeah, it is hard when this person has been a part of your life for so long, but if you leave things as they are, you're allowing yourself to be abused.

Good luck with your situation.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 09:22 am
It'll be tough, but maintain your distance. Be friendly if she comes up to you, but don't approach her. Be noncommittal about meeting up, then don't. Or, if that's not your style, just tell her you're busy. She'll get the point pretty soon.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 09:47 am
Since you will be running into her from time to time, I think the best course of action would to be blandly pleasant when you see her. Don't accept any more invitations, make up an excuse. If she begs for another chance, don't fall for it.

I have a friend (she thinks we are friends) who just pops up everyonce in a while. She will just show up on my doorstep and insist on coming in. I think she is still comparing lifestyles just to see which one of us is ahead. When I see her caller ID, I don't pick up the phone. Once she called me on her cell and said, Guess where I am? Turns out she was in my driveway so I couldn't pretend I wasn't home.

It's not so much that she is a bad person, she just doesn't have boundaries and always wants to talk about everything that was embarrassing to me when I was 16. Laughs her head off over some of the spitefull stuff she did, I just got tired and try to avoid her as much as possible.

Don't let the former friend upset you or bait you, Some people just have a hard time acknowleging each other as adults after childhood friendships.
I'm sure some of the older posters here have been to High School or College reunions. The few times I was talked into going, I always regreted it. You just never know how people will turn out. The last time I attended one of those things, one former classmate got drunk and was verbally abusive to my husband. Apparently she felt she knew me better than he did, it was a nightmare. Made a wonderful impression on my husband who attended schools in a different state.
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:01 am
thanks for the input guys, i definatley agree with all of it it's just gonna be a bit of a battle in the begining. i personally think she is jealous of me as wierd things always came up when she was drunk.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:14 am
You keep mentioning the drinking.

Do you think she's an alcoholic?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:16 am
People can become addicted at an early age, but often binge drinking seems to be more likely with teenagers and young adults. Still isn't a good idea especially it you are a nasty drunk.
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:19 am
I think she has a drink and drug problem chai. it's really scary.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:23 am
Keep as far away from her as you can. If she flames out you don't want to be there.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:25 am
And didn't you recently quit? I think that's maybe part of the process of quitting, extracting yourself from the relationships that were based on drugs/ alcohol (or involved it, anyway).
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:26 am
does she realize it?

Is she loosing other friends also?

I gotta go for awhile, but I'm really interested in your answers.
I'll be back later.
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:32 am
yeah did, but we've been friends since i was six so there was more to it then drugs and drink.

See i knew i was beggining to go down "the rabbit hole" so i stopped and she just kept on going. I think she detests me for that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:34 am
That'd make sense. You can, she can't.

Maybe you can put things explicitly in those terms. Say that you'd be interested in seeing her again when she's back from the brink.

(Love the new avatar btw.)
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:36 am
She may, it's hard to justify your behaviour when you can't control others. My former husband offered me a cigarette years ago while we waited for the doctor to see my son. I said no thanks, I quit. He said, Oh yeah? and blew smoke in my face.
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:41 am
Thanks soz i dig it too! it's superlegal amiga!

yeah she got all abusive towards me in Balito cos some boy she fancied kissed me on the dancefloor and not her. So she started a real scene and then stormed off into the dark night at 2 am in the morning in kwazulu natal, i was really scared, i didn't have a car so i couldn't go looking for her, i cried and these security gaurds took pity on me and drove me around Balito (small costal town near Durban) till we found her. So needless to say i never spoke to the hot dance floor boy again.
0 Replies