Dinner tonight - or last night.

cjhsa

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 08:16 am
Last night we had Zatarains Red Beans and Rice with some smoked beef sausage thrown in. Great stuff can come from a box.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 05:12 am
margo wrote:
OK through Customs, Olga? Food imports are always dicey.

Send K some Vegemite - she's a fan!

Now there's an idea! (the Vegemite!)

I didn't consider Customs Hmmmmmm .....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 10:12 am
MsO, not necessary, really! Wait, was it you or Margo who sent me the CD with old abuzz threads recorded on it?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 06:19 am
It was margo, k.
She sent me one, too! (Very generous is our margo!)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 08:15 am
Tonight's effort is what one of my (ancient) recipe books calls lentil & mushroom au gratin.
Sound posh?
Actually, it's a fairly simple baked dish, consisting of a couple of layers of a cooked red lentil/onion/garlic/celery/carrot/etc mixture with a layer of gently fried mushrooms with garlic & parsley in between. With a crunchy topping of grated cheese & bread crumbs.
Plus a green salad.
Not bad.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 09:52 am
"finger" food
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 07:12 pm
Dinner: previously frozen spinach pizza.

MsO, I bought the chipotle - whole, dried peppers and powder. I could also send some samples of molida and New Mexico red.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 04:10 am
littlek wrote:
MsO, I bought the chipotle - whole, dried peppers and powder. I could also send some samples of molida and New Mexico red.

Thank you, k! Very Happy
That is so thoughful of you. I will PM my address right away.

And I want you to PM you address straight back to me, too. I have just the book for you! (I think!)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 04:23 am
Very late lunch/early dinner today:
a claypot seafood & rice dish at Little Saigon. Actually, we strayed away from our regular Vietnamese haunts & ventured into Chinese territory for a change. I loved this dish! (It took ages to cook, but what the heck, I was in good company so the wait wasn't at all painful!) The rice was particularly interesting: it was crispy & golden on the bottom of the (very hot!) claypot & fluffy above. On top of the rice were some really tasty bits of sea food: fillety bits, scallops & a prawn or two. Delicious!
This was followed (back home) by a couple of big slices of utterly fabulous cake (my closest friend, W's birthday) Oh yummmm!
I just had an extra slice I brought home, a minute ago.
No dieting today! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 10:09 am
I've loved every dish I've ever had in a clay pot - mostly at vietnamese restaurants (chicken in clay pot, for example), and once at an italian one (shrimp marsala). I suppose I need to get a clay pot for myself one of these days.

Wonder how they cooked your clay post dish...
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 10:58 am
Aspargus season is still on in Germany - so it is my usual Sunday evening dinner at that time of the year. Fresh white aspargus with some olive oil and parmesan, Spanish Serano ham, some small tomatoes and maybe some eggs - scramble or as a little pancake or hard boiled.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 11:03 am
we have an abundance of (green) aspargus in ontario this year - $1.49 a pound , one store is even running a "one-day-special" at 99 cents !
so we've been having plenty of fresh aspargus and aspargus soup - a nice batch of soup has also ben put into the freezer for "emergencies" Laughing
hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 11:29 am
I picked up a small bagful of $1/pound asparagus at the North Market yesterday. Will cook it up for a hearty soup tonight.

Last night - mozza-lamb burgers, with a side of whole-grain chips with freshly made guacamole from the market. That was a yum meal.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 05:25 pm
I grilled salmon for the first time this year. Oh, baby!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 06:33 pm
cheese steak subs with fried onions and processed cheese food...Philadelphia style.

Oh...and fresh cut Boardwalk fries
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 09:03 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I've loved every dish I've ever had in a clay pot - mostly at vietnamese restaurants (chicken in clay pot, for example), and once at an italian one (shrimp marsala). I suppose I need to get a clay pot for myself one of these days.

Wonder how they cooked your clay post dish...

I think maybe that the initial layer of the rice (at the bottom) may have been blasted with some fierce heat, osso. Just guessing though. However they did it, it was great!

For claypots, check out your local thrift shops, perhaps. Folk seem to be off-loading them here. The last (big!) one I bought hadn't even been used!
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 04:17 am
Bar-b Q, steak and those big mushrooms, peppers and sausages and minty lamb chops.mmmmmmmmmmmm

Protein overload.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 06:59 am
Wow, Dorothy! That's a big hit of protein. (Weighs you down, don't it? :wink: )
It must be barbeque time in the UK?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 08:37 pm
msolga, yeah, a friend of mine has a series of sizes of them, all from thrift stores or ebay...

the ones I'm thinking of are small, though, not the rompertopfs or however you spell that, more individual casserole dishes.

Will have to look at bodo's link.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 03:30 am
Roast leg of lamb, roast potatoes, roast pumpkin, snow peas, broccoli and sensational home made gravy!!!

Gosh I am a lucky fella.
0 Replies