Dinner tonight - or last night.

glitterbag

Reply Wed 24 May, 2017 09:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I hope she is feeling ok, I've been taking antibiotics since mid-December and sometimes they really screw up my stomach. Just can't bring myself to eat.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 May, 2017 09:07 pm
@glitterbag,
Not sure what inspired Set to try that but it worked out really well.

Thanks to joeblow who I think was the source of that sesame oil.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 24 May, 2017 10:02 pm
@ehBeth,
I like to toast sesame seeds for Bulgogi/Pulgogi (a recipe shared with me by a soldier and his wife who had been in Korea) Fell in love with sesame everything. When I run out of ideas, I start pulling out the spices and different oils and check aromas for inspiration, Now Im trying to remember exactly how I used some walnut oil, I have to start writing these things down.
jcboy

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 03:13 pm
We're staying in tonight, later I'll be making a meatloaf, mashed potatoes and roasted brussel sprouts.
chai2

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 03:28 pm
@jcboy,
Eggs, mushrooms, tomato, spinach, cheese and avocado
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 06:45 pm
@glitterbag,
That could be the connection. Set was stationed in Korea.
chai2

Reply Sun 28 May, 2017 04:56 pm
@ehBeth,
Jinx proof lamb shanks and slow cooked zucchini with tarragon

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2010/01/jinx-proof-braised-lamb-shanks-theres.html

https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/slow-cooked-zucchini-with-tarragon

I didn't have any wine so I substituted 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar and 1/4 cup of water.

Dinner will be in 2 hours.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2017 05:27 pm
We're going out for dinner tonight. Going to Inka Mama's for some peruvian food.

Last night the Rican made tequila lime chicken, it's was delicious.

http://i67.tinypic.com/295slxy.jpg
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2017 05:34 pm
@jcboy,
My wife and I had lunch at Mission City Grill in Santa Clara. I had salad and chicken parmigiana with garlic bread, downed with ice tea. Gonna have the chicken for dinner, and forget chicken for the whole week.
jcboy

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2017 05:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Chicken parmigiana does sound good, we were thinking of going out tomorrow night for some Italian food!
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2017 06:51 am
Eye fillet of beef; microwaved cauliflower, broccoli, carrot , runner bean and snow pea.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2017 09:48 am
@jcboy,
woud you point me to the recipe? I love to mess with sour and umami tastes
jcboy

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2017 05:22 pm
@farmerman,
Of course, he's uses California Pizza Kitchen recipe for the Tequila Lime Chicken recipe.

California Pizza Kitchen Chicken Tequila Fettuccine

Quote:
1 lb dry spinach fettuccine (or 2 pounds fresh)
1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (2 tablespoons reserved for garnish or finish)
2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
2 tablespoons minced jalapeno peppers (seeds and veins may be eliminated if milder flavor is desired)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter (reserve tablespoon per saute)
1⁄2 cup chicken stock (preferably homemade)
2 tablespoons gold tequila
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1⁄4 lbs chicken breasts, diced 3/4 inch
1⁄4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1⁄2 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1⁄2 medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
1⁄2 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
On Sale Near You
See what's on sale in recipes and in your Grocery List.

Prepare rapidly boiling, salted water to cook pasta; cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes for dry pasta, approximately 3 minutes for fresh. Pasta may be cooked slightly ahead of time, rinsed and oiled and then “flashed” (reheated) in boiling water or cooked to coincide with the finishing of the sauce/topping.
Cook 1/3 cup cilantro, garlic and jalapeno in 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Add stock, tequila and lime juice. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until reduced to a paste like consistency; set aside.
Pour soy sauce over diced chicken; set aside for 5 minutes. Meanwhile cook onion and peppers, stirring occasionally, with remaining butter over medium heat. When the vegetables have wilted (become limp), add.
chicken and soy sauce; toss and add reserved tequila/lime paste and cream.
Bring the sauce to a boil; boil gently until chicken is cooked through and sauce is thick (about 3 minutes).
When sauce is done, toss with well-drained spinach fettuccine and reserved cilantro.
Serve family style or transfer to serving dishes, evenly distributing chicken and vegetables.
farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2017 05:29 pm
@jcboy,
Sounds great, now all I need is a sub for the hooch.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2017 05:36 pm
@farmerman,
Al pastor burrito with mushrooms, onions, jalapeno peppers, cheese, mild salsa, rice, and sour cream.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2017 07:58 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Sounds great, now all I need is a sub for the hooch.

Maybe try some apple cider vinegar.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2017 10:07 am
@farmerman,
agave syrup for the flavour

a vinegar you like for the acid - I like blueberry vinegar from Northern Ontario for a lot of cooking applications - maybe not the best for a tequila sub though
chai2

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2017 12:35 pm
@ehBeth,
Good point.

Personally, if I wanted the flavor of tequila, I'd let something rot in the basement in a wet paper bag for a few months.

Nasty stuff, but that's just me.

edit. I just looked up and saw tequilla also comes from the agave plant....maybe that's why I didn't like agave sryup when I tried it. hmph
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2017 01:19 pm
saving this for later this week

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/spicy-potato-bok-choy-and-shallot-hash-hangover-helper-recipe.html

we just got some gorgeous new russet potatoes

seriously. we could both just eat them boiled with black pepper. so tasty.

but ... one of my swim pals gave me a bag of bok choy and we've got some lovely Egyptian walking onions in the garden that are great shallot subs

think I'll use some of that sesame seed oil that we got from Joeblow - works with these quasi-Asian recipes
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2017 01:27 pm
@ehBeth,
Mmm, yes. You know I'm a bok choy fan. We have a market here we never go to, lot of miles across town, but I'm keen on international markets. Maybe if I get into the senior rides thing, but I'd probably drive them crazy, taking too long in the market.
0 Replies