Dinner tonight - or last night.

Ragman

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 05:37 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

sounds like a way Ive had SNAKEHEAD (which, to me , kinda looks just like a klip eel)

Aha! so, you've informed me that I've eaten eel....not a fish? Verrry interesting. explains a few things about the texture. The description I see calls it cusk eel.
farmerman

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 05:40 am
@Ragman,
well, it just seems like an eel to me. Same thing with snakehead.cusk was pretty firm fleshed an a bit dense no?

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 05:43 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
SO good luck on(I assume) what will be a safari.

yup, it'S an organized safari nr Scicusa in Kruger National park.
https://www.krugerpark.com/?gclid=CJSIrK_Bj9ICFeG37QodFckBAQ

Quote:
PS I traded in my Canon Rebel nd the 60-D for a D 7 but Im now taking more pix with my phone.

Yup, me too...was taking majority of iPhone pics until the trip. Then when I got to NZ, almost immediately I bought a Tamron 150-600 zoom and went nuts. of course, the locale and all of the country/seaside.land mass made life sublime.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 06:20 am
@farmerman,
You'd love London. Jellied eels and liquor. Not my cup of tea though.

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/DY1HE4/jellied-eels-with-eel-liquor-sauce-or-parsley-sauce-at-m-manze-pie-DY1HE4.jpg
farmerman

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 06:24 am
@izzythepush,
whats that green ****?. I gotta know fist ifn Im gonna eat something
farmerman

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 06:28 am
@izzythepush,
Eel is great if first lightly rotisseried or grilled and sauced with something like a Mirin/soy /garlic thai ketchup mix qnd then lightly broiled. Served with sticky brown rice its a meal fit for epicurean survivalists
izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 07:07 am
@farmerman,
Liquor, I think it's mostly made up of parsley, but I'm not brave enough to enquire further.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 07:08 am
@farmerman,
I'll take your word for it.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 09:47 am
Now I'm hungry and want some smoked eel. Yum.

I'll make do with the smoked salmon I've got. Not as good but it is more easily accessible.

And Schillerlocken. I want some of those. (smoked dogfish belly)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 09:51 am
@izzythepush,
when I was doing mine contamination source work for Environment Canada, I taught the crew how to build and set eel traps. Wed easily catchs several a day(sometimes a dozen or more. Wed clean and strip em and cut em into sausage like chunks and grill em with my "Cmp sauce" which was mostly ketchup (or anything with tomato) garlic, soy and sometimes bacon/ I was the paqrty chief but often Id cook when I tried to get em to thrives in the wooods. Course, qnything goes if wed chopper in enough beer >Camp smoked eel often had bad results if we didnt have a stable cook. Id set up a field smoker made like a tipi made out of canvas duck that qe used to cover fire wood. OOne (or more) times the camp cook 'd be hammered and let the damn smoker catch fire qnd by the time the crew got bqck to douse it the thing was all burnt up and the eel was ruined. SO we didnt smoke it too much even if we hqd a few weeks to work there.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 10:10 am
@izzythepush,
I had to look it up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/traditional_pie_n_mash_76469

Quote:
For the parsley liquor
50g/2oz butter
50g/2oz cornflour
500ml/18fl oz chicken stock
generous bunch parsley, leaves only, chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, roasted and puréed, to taste

yum

we had that on mash in Hamburg. No jellied eels though (for us). Smoked eels all the way.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 10:26 am
@ehBeth,
LAST NIGHT:
Four small slices of leftover grandma-style pizza with mushrooms, reheated in the oven.
alex240101

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 08:57 am
@tsarstepan,
Lasagna. I am not a fan of lasagna. I do like though all the ingredients, in different ratios and forms. Oh, I wanted to dismantle the slab of cooked pasta dough, and suck the insides out. Table manners prevailed.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 03:32 pm
We had a nice Sunday brunch in Laguna.

Tonight I’m cooking Sunday dinner. I’m making grilled chicken with lemon basil pasta. I’ve made it before, simple recipe and everyone likes it.

Grilled Chicken with Lemon Basil Pasta

http://pioneerwoman.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/4814287904_bb43e024c9_b.jpg?w=630&h=420
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 03:51 pm
@jcboy,
folks doin ok out there"
Good ta hear from you all .(try working on getting about 100 more federal electors in Cali)
I like the way the cheicken is seared. I love it that way
jcboy

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 03:54 pm
@farmerman,
Yes sir, doing wonderful here in Cali. Busy busy busy. Dance lessons, softball, PTA, shoot me now! Razz
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 03:59 pm
@jcboy,
JC, mad glad to see you.

Sounds great, natch.

Meanwhile, my nursed basil on the window sill is on the limp side as basil goes. I need to pay more attention.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 05:17 pm
@jcboy,
So nice to 'hear' your voice again. Sounds like you've had a busy busy year.

Pioneer Woman is one of my favourite recipe sites. Always simple and tasty options there.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 05:24 pm
@ehBeth,
ditto.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 05:32 pm
@jcboy,
I'm closed to giving up on people, almost entirely newcomers, calling California Cali. Language invaders.
This is a bit like the old Frisco aggravations.

I'm not the only one, as it has taken for a long time as newbies descending. I still hate it.
0 Replies