Dinner tonight - or last night.

jcboy

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 04:08 pm
Alicia and I just got back from the market and we found some fresh tilapia so that’s what we’re having tonight, with broccoli and teriyaki rice. We also found a nice roast for Sunday dinner tomorrow. She’s probably going to grow up and be a good cook, she’s always interested in what we’re making and how we’re making it. Cool
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 09:12 pm
@jcboy,
Never heard of teriyaki rice, and I'm Japanese. 😱
MMarciano

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2016 09:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
He made it from scratch, it wasn't half bad Very Happy rice and teriyaki sauce.
sandra gonzalez

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2016 12:20 am
tonight's dinner was: grilled portobello mushroom "burger" and big side of taboule.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2016 12:51 am
@MMarciano,
I have seen people put soy sauce on their rice. Something you'll never see an Asian do.
panzade

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2016 03:26 am
@cicerone imposter,
I don't care what Asians do Wink
I like soy sauce and Hoisin sauce on my rice
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2016 07:34 am
@cicerone imposter,
Your missing out Cool

TERIYAKI FRIED RICE

Quote:
INGREDIENTS

2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 green onions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups leftover cooked rice
1/2 cup cooked shelled edamame
1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce

http://assets.epicurious.com/photos/54ad740219925f464b3b7f53/6:4/w_620%2Ch_413/51188810_teriyaki-fried-rice_1x1.jpg
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2016 05:56 pm
I’m slow cooking my roast at 250 for 4 hours, for dessert we’re making some peanut butter chocolate chip cookies Cool
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 03:22 pm
@jcboy,
To jcboy and Marco, I got a bunch of tomotillos and long green peppers in my local grocery yesterday. We close to always have hot peppers here, but I'm more sure now that tomatillos show up only seasonally. I'm off to find Marco's old recipe link, it's here somewhere. Probably in my chile peppers file..
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 03:28 pm
@ossobuco,
Here's a refresher from Marco's old recipe - Green Chili Pork

Here you go Osso!

I use this recipe and bake it for two hours at 250, its very tender. I found it online one day and gave it a try.

2 1/2 to 3lbs. pork loin ( 1/2in. cube )
1 tbsp. Salt
1 1/2 teas. Pepper
1 teas. garlic powder
2 teas. chili powder
1/4 teas. Cumin
4 tbsp. olive oil
2 1/2 cups water

The green sauce

1 ½ lbs. Fresh tomatillos
1 large onion
2 green or anaheim chili’s or pablanos
4 cloves fresh peeled garlic
½ teas. Salt
¼ teas. Pepper
¼ teas. Sugar

Start by cutting your pork into 1/2 inch cubes and add to a large ziplock bag. Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin and olive oil to your bag. (Do not add the water) Close the bag leaving a little bit of air in it and “smoosh” it around to thoroughly mix the seasoning into the pork. Reopen the bag and remove as much air as you can and close. Set this aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes.

While your pork is marinating, Peel the outer shell of the tomatillos off and wash them to remove the sticky residue, cut them in half. Slice the onion into 8 equal size pieces. Slice your chili’s in half, remove the stems and de-seed them. Transfer your tomatillos, onion and chili’s along with the 4 cloves of garlic into a baking dish and bake in a preheated 250 degree oven for 2 hours. Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly. Add to a blender along with the salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder and sugar. Start your blender on pulse to get it started and then to blend making sure that everything gets blended. You might have to do this in a few batches. Set this aside until your pork is ready for it.

After your pork has marinated, add it to a large deep skillet preheated to high. You will want a pan big enough to hold the pork and the sauce. A good way to know if your pan is hot enough is to add a few drops of olive oil to it and when it starts to smoke, it’s ready. Sear your pork on all sides, stirring often, this will take about 20 minutes or so. Once the pork has seared, stir in your sauce along with about 2 1/2 cups of water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to the lowest possible setting and cover. Your looking for a very low simmer, it should barely even bubble. Cook for about 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally.

Next grocery visit I'll buy the pork, and more tomatillos as I didn't grab enough of them. I'll memorize this one of these days.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 04:49 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm envious that you found tomatillos. They're only available here for 6 - 8 weeks a year.
jcboy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 05:53 pm
@ossobuco,
We have some tomatillos in the fridge and Marco said he's making his chili verdi this weekend! that sauce is delicious!
farmerman

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 06:02 pm
@ehBeth,
cant you grow tomatoes in Toronto?? They make these porta green houses (look like a shower stall,).
jcboy

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 06:03 pm
We’re staying in tonight and I’ll be making a meatloaf with mashed potatoes and peas. Last night we went out for soup, salad and sushi. This little place down the hill has awesome sushi, their tuna teriyaki is delicious.

http://oi63.tinypic.com/v7s3uc.jpg

http://oi64.tinypic.com/3536qn7.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 06:06 pm
@farmerman,
we can grow them - and they all ripen in about 2 weeks
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 06:08 pm
@jcboy,
Beth, I think so do we - not sure. The first time I found them, whenever Marco posted about the recipe, I got them at, cough, walmart. This is the second time I've seen them in a market, my local Brooks. On the other hand, I never get to Ranch Market here, which is well stocked and wonderful, lots of Mexico produce and other stuff.

Morgan, I speak to you fresh from reaming out seeds and whatnot from my chiles. Not sure which exact chiles or chilis. Long and green anyway.
remind me not to rub my eyes..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 03:15 pm
Tonight will be easy -
[Pasta e Fagioli

The anasazi beans are already slow cooked, spiced, and waiting with their bean liquid;
The hot italian pork sausage is thawing in fridge
The pasta shells just need a good roiling boil.
will taste and maybe add some tomato paste, or not
I like this dish simple.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 03:36 pm
@ossobuco,
cooking one of these

https://assets.shop.loblaws.ca/products/20837130/b1/en/front/20837130_front_a04.png

it smells amaaaayzing

Chinese New Year is Monday

I'll be at class so I'm having a special meal early.

there will be a soup with tons of bok choy/mushrooms/celery/garlic/ginger/carrots/brocolli and tiny bits of the pork

then some rice with a bit more of the pork
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 03:39 pm
@ehBeth,
I love charshu.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 03:39 pm
https://t2.ftcdn.net/jpg/00/97/93/25/500_F_97932544_L9NOoks1HGrlaADhhL9Q2f3FanP8ySr9.jpg
0 Replies