Dinner tonight - or last night.

alex240101

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 07:06 am
@ehBeth,
Roasted hungarian peppers rolled in a hummus spread flat bread.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 09:51 am
@alex240101,
What are Hungarian peppers?
alex240101

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 04:51 am
@CalamityJane,
http://www.hawthornfarm.ca/images/peppers/pepper_hungarian_hot_wax.jpg

I roast them in olive oil, drop of vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper. I had a roasted Hungarian pepper appetizer at a restaurant in Greek Town, Detroit, Michigan, which is similar.
jcboy

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 08:58 am
For Sunday dinner we’re having fresh grouper with rice, green beans and a salad.

Tomorrow for Memorial Day we will be putting baby back ribs on the grill. I’ll be making macaroni salad and a fruit salad.

There is also another French chocolate silk pie in the fridge. Cool
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 09:08 am
Last night I chomped on a hero sandwich which a friend brought me. Put the Cole slaw and a few french fries on top. Not quite as satisfying as a Primante's sandwich but good enough. No idea on what will be served tonight.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 10:19 am
poutinette and a Batch 1904 cider at Round before our gig

the poutinette was built on pont neuf fries, used smoked gouda and a red wine/duck gelee based gravy

tasty but definitely poutinette, not poutine
jcboy

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 05:30 pm
@ehBeth,
We just got back from shopping, more summer clothes.

The Rican is making the grouper. I have the ribs marinating in the fridge over night for tomorrow’s dinner.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 05:42 pm
@jcboy,
pork chops, olives and a tiny tiny tiny bit of feta

considering fruit or veg for later

or maybe some plain yogurt
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 05:47 pm
@jcboy,
I just had soup (chicken broth and stuff) and a warm out of the oven cornmeal muffin. Cornmeal as in the coarse polenta type and ww flour with added corn kernals, diced jalapenos, grated cheddar. (A Martha Shulman recipe)
ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 05:58 pm
@ossobuco,
mmm love that style of corn muffin/corn bread

I first learned about that from the back of a box of Martha White cornbread mix about 30 years ago.
FBM

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 06:03 pm
@ehBeth,
We used to call that Mexican cornbread. I'm pretty sure there's nothing Mexican about it, though. Good stuff, anyways.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 06:11 pm
@FBM,
I'll call it New Mexican since that's where I am. Shulman, though, is a NYTimes writer, or was (I don't read their food articles since the paywall went up).

I've made muffins with masa harina but I think I made the recipe up - an exploration after I got tired of tamale making. That was a while ago. I just looked up if I wrote it on a2k but I guess not. Google has plenty of masa harina muffin recipes though.
FBM

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 06:19 pm
@ossobuco,
I had to google masa harina. Hard to imagine muffins made with it, but I can't see any reason why you couldn't. The more I think about it, the better it sounds.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 08:28 pm
I call it Polenta - all the same thing, but it's delicious.
Osso always comes up with the most elaborate recipes. You should have
opened a bistro in New Mexico, osso and taught them some culinary, tasty
food. I bet you would have made good money.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 08:29 pm
jcboy is killing me with his cakes .....
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 08:29 pm
@alex240101,
Thank you, Alex for the info. I've seen them in the market, but didn't know they're called Hungarian. Are they spicy?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 08:39 pm
@ossobuco,
another way to get at her recipes ...

google her name

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20110302/ZNYT04/103023015

in the example below, it led to the people whose flour she likes - and their take on the cornmeal muffin recipe (and a discussion of how to make interesting flours)

http://glutenfreegirl.com/tag/martha-rose-shulman/

and in this example - where to get the right ingredients in Korea

http://pandeseoul.com/2013/02/12/gluten-free-cornmeal-molasses-muffins-inspired-by-boston-brown-bread/

it's a very cool flog

http://pandeseoul.com/about/
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 08:58 pm
@CalamityJane,
I could have if I had the financial wherewith all and the gumption. On the other hand, I know from others trying it that getting your own bistro working is no small task. I should have started a website, sort of like that quite young woman who used to be homeless, or close to it, in London - she has a column in the Guardian on how to make good food on a low budget. Her name is Jack something. I'd thought of it, actually probably before her and a lot of others probably have too, but I'm also a dolt about starting and maintaining a website. Too much hazarai at this point.

My own explorations are down from what they used to be, back in the day. My ex was really the good cook, especially good at making a whole meal work as a unit but never boring.
But hey, I taught my niece, and that's a good long lasting accomplishment. I remember when she was about fourteen and was up north visiting me for a while (yep, how to make suppli al telefono! and other adventures), and we went out to dinner, and she could easily describe how and why she liked the preparation of the mussels. I thought, "my work is done". I remember teaching her to roll pizza dough when she was around four or five.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 09:05 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks - I immediately saved that. I used to save her recipes fairly often. Then after the paywall, I went through all my nyt recipes - luckily so designated - and dumped most of them, transferring the ones I wanted to keep to iMac works pages. Pain in the ass, that was, but that's how I still had it. But now I can read her again, excellent.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 09:16 pm
@ehBeth,
Saved the gluten free article too - I don't care about gluten (knock on wood) but I like playing with flours and have thought of making them.
0 Replies