Dinner tonight - or last night.

FBM

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 08:02 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

love Bulgogi

when I met with ceili a couple of years ago, we went to my favourite Korean diner and I had a Bulgogi burger

so good!

Ah. Bulgogi burgers are delish! A couple of years ago, I was in a Korean language program at Seoul National Univ. and one of the field trips was to a culture center where we all learned how to (and did) make bulgogi for ourselves.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 09:41 pm
@FBM,
I was introduced to Bugogi when I worked with some soldiers who had been stationed in South Korea. They gave me a different Anglicized name, and the recipe. It fairly simple, but delish.
FBM

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 09:48 pm
@glitterbag,
True that. It's simple enough that I could do it, but I never do. There's a market down the street where they sell it pre-marinated. All you have to do is cook it.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 10:07 pm
@FBM,
I've found it prepackaged at Trader Joe's, I like the marinade they use but the beef strips are too large and I like mine sliced thinner, however, slicing marinated meat (for me at least) is slippery , it's easier to slice raw meat. But I do buy the Trader Joe's version every so often.
FBM

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 10:15 pm
@glitterbag,
Hmm. I wonder how much the Trader Joe's version resembles what we get over here...
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 06:01 pm
The Rican is making a meatloaf with mashed potatoes, gravy and pan-fried zucchini for din din tonight. Oh yeah and more pie for dessert. Another key lime pie. Cool
0 Replies

fijiproduce

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 10:43 pm
Pizza
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 02:40 pm
Lessoned learned! Never take children to a bakery! OMG. Confused

After close to an hour we finally settled on the candy cheesecake.

Anyway, we had dinner out last night so tonight we’re staying in and having steaks with red smashed parmesan crusted potatoes and for a vegie we’re having steamed baby green squash.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/11r84fk.jpg

http://oi62.tinypic.com/154ufxk.jpg

http://oi57.tinypic.com/10x6a02.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 02:44 pm
@jcboy,
Never take me there either, wowie! (That lemon coconut monster looks especially good)

Luckily I still have a lot of thai coconut brownies left, so I'm not riddled with envy.
jcboy

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 02:51 pm
@ossobuco,
I'll bet all three of them will clean their plates tonight just to have a piece of that candy cheesecake Razz
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 04:33 pm
@jcboy,
You're such a good mom, Very Happy
If you keep that up with cake after dinner, you all will need to go to the gym every day too.
FBM

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 04:51 pm
@CalamityJane,
Went to a sushi/sashimi restaurant with one of the N. Korean refugees. It was one of those newfangled gigs where there's a conveyor belt going around and you pick up the dish you want. Primo eats.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 05:05 pm
@FBM,
I don't remember where it was in Seoul, but I probably had the best Indian food there in a restaurant. It was downtown and upstairs somewhere...... I know, very vague, but I remember how good it was.

We also have an excellent Korean restaurant here in San Diego. They have
cooking islands in front of you. Love Korean food more than Japanese...
FBM

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 05:12 pm
@CalamityJane,
Oh! If you were in Itaewon, I'm pretty sure I know which Indian restaurant you're talking about. Across the street from Hamilton Hotel. Yeah, no doubt the best Indian food I've had, too.

And I agree about Korean food vs Japanese. I do like Japanese in general, but it's almost never spicy except for wasabe. I find a lot more variety in Korean food.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 05:24 pm
@FBM,
Omg yes, right across from the Hamilton Hotel, now I remember!!
So it's still there? Well, no wonder, it was superb food!

We met some business people in Seoul, so we got to see places and eat at placed that weren't in tourist guides. A friend of mine worked at the German embassy in Seoul, she said it was very hard for "long noses" to become friends with Koreans.
FBM

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 05:30 pm
@CalamityJane,
It's still there! How long ago did you visit? I think the first time I ate there was about 10 years ago. I don't live in Seoul, so it's very much just a special occasion thing for me.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 06:02 pm
@FBM,
It's been about 20 years now.....oh you don't live in Seoul? I thought you do!
I have to say I felt pretty self conscious there - I am 5'9" and obviously look not Korean and everyone could see I am a foreigner, that took some getting used to. Here in the U.S. no one would suspect I am not American, as long as I don't talk - then they hear my German accent.
FBM

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 06:06 pm
@CalamityJane,
I live about an hour and a half south of Seoul. I've been here almost 20 years, so I can relate. When I first got here, there were very few foreigners, resident or otherwise. I remember walking down the sidewalk and seeing kids' astounded faces plastered against the windows of the buses that passed by. For an untold number of Koreans, I'm the first non-Korean they'd ever seen in the flesh. Laughing
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 06:15 pm
@FBM,
I can imagine. I went to the open market place (forgot the name) where you can buy everything from fake Chanel to a hot soup -- it has a very distinctive smell there. When they asked me where I am from and I told them, they were so sympathetic telling me that our countries had the same fate for a long time North/South Korea and West/East Germany - they identified with me and I got stuff much much cheaper to buy.
FBM

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 06:26 pm
@CalamityJane,
Damn. Good angle for a discount. I'm going to try pretending to be German next time I'm shopping in the market... Mr. Green

That reminds me. Yesterday I saw somebody wearing a t-shirt that read "Ich Bin Ein New Yorker." I had to do a double-take.
0 Replies