Dinner tonight - or last night.

ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 12:36 pm
@izzythepush,
not sure why you'd say pedestrian - pie is a lot more labour intensive!

I'm impressed. Pie crust takes such a fine hand.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 12:40 pm
@ehBeth,
I cheat and use a food processor.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 12:55 pm
I've never made my own pie crust. When I make the pumpkin pies I buy store bought pie crust. Cool
izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 01:03 pm
@jcboy,
Food processors make really good pastry. It's a tip from the Hairy Bikers TV chefs.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 01:03 pm
@jcboy,
I've had a Marcato pasta machine for years and years. Among other things, it's a good looking piece of kitchen equipment, and doesn't take up much room. It works for lots of kinds of items, including other than italian, is fun to play with. I learned how from my italian teacher. She would have the finals at one of the students' houses, and she'd set up the pasta maker in the kitchen before the class. One time the student whose house it was made a delicious lobster and butter sauce for tagliatelle.. sigh.

After the exam was over/handed in, we each took turns making dough and rolling it, and we hung the pasta on thickish plastic hangers. Then we sat in her patio at a picnic table and had some wine or whatever while the pasta dried.

Some time later, I bought a real apparatus thingy for hanging pasta dough. Never have used it, still use hangers, and gave it with other stuff to the Habit for Humanity Re-Store just recently.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 01:05 pm
@ehBeth,
That's gorgeous, ehBeth. I may have to put that on my list before the-making-of-bagels.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 01:05 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
"That's enough of the pie talk."
ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 01:08 pm
@ehBeth,
Mmmm. I make crackers out of leftover olive oil dough from my ricotta tart making, varied seeds, but this seems a swell idea.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 01:26 pm
@izzythepush,
Never enough..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 01:34 pm
@ossobuco,
It is gorgeous. I first made it back in Abuzz days when I spent a lot of time on the old Fine Cooking site. Haven't made it in ages. Need to do it again.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 01:35 pm
@izzythepush,
It doesn't overwork the crust? I'm quite leery of using the food processor re pie crust.
jcboy

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 01:43 pm
@ehBeth,
I have a nice food processor and tried making bread with it once, didn't come out so well. Came out hard as a rock, if I had dropped it on the kitchen floor it would have cracked the tile Cool
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 03:22 pm
@jcboy,
Funny
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 03:26 pm
@jcboy,
that would be nicely overworked bread Wink

jcboy

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 06:50 pm
@ehBeth,
And that it was Cool

I’m getting ready to place my meatballs in the oven; I’ll bake for about 40 minutes then finish cooking them in the sauce. I call them meatballs but they’re the size of softballs.

I use a pound of lean ground beef and a pound of veal. Mix it together with an egg, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, breadcrumb, parmesan cheese and a little milk so they’re not too dry.

http://oi61.tinypic.com/316m99t.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 07:01 pm
@jcboy,
the giant meatballs are traditional in some regions

I had to get used to ordering the meatballs separately when I worked in Northern Ontario

http://cesiras.com/dinner/

you order your pasta with whatever sauce you like - then you order meatballs in multiples of 2. I've never actually finished more than 1 of them. Yup, softball-sized.

this place is fancy

most of their pastas come with 2 meatballs - even their meat ravioli comes with 2 meatballs

http://giovannisrestaurant.ca/menus/Giovannis.pdf
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 07:01 pm
@jcboy,
Look' n good!
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 08:01 pm
If I remember correctly the larger meatballs were Sicilian, one of my grandmothers who was Jewish but Sicilian use to make those large meatballs in her Sunday sauce. I don’t think she baked them first, I think she fried them then put them in the sauce.

I cooked the meatballs in the sauce for about 30 minutes and here is the finished product, dinner is served. Antonio will be nine years old this month, he will eat two of those softballs, the kid eats like a small pony.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/znvswx.jpg

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2mwf5ol.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 08:03 pm
@jcboy,
It looks fabulous!

You could be right about Sicily. I think baking v frying might have depended (to some degree) what else you were cooking at the same time - and whether you had an actual oven.
MMarciano

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 08:45 pm
@ehBeth,
I have to admit Morgan has perfected that sauce. It’s delicious. Better then any sauce I’ve had in restaurants. As well as the meatballs, they’re light and tender, melt in your mouth delicious.