Dinner tonight - or last night.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 12:26 pm
@jcboy,
How big is the diameter? I have a smaller one, 8" diam, and then a bigger one, 12" with a rounded bottom. I forget what they call it as a pot, but it has turned out to be quite useful. If yours is 10 or 12" - that's the perfect pot for making Jim Lahey no knead bread (not that you asked).

Recipe - http://www.sullivanstreetbakery.com/recipes

Never mind the sort of too dark look - that's because of the wheat bran coating on his, I think.

Dan H

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 12:44 pm
@msolga,
I had Lasagne and Garlic Bread last night
aidan

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 12:48 pm
@Dan H,
I sauteed spring onions and cherry tomatoes in butter and then added prawns (shrimp) and continued sauteeing until the tomatoes cooked down while at the same time I boiled spaghetti. Then I tossed the cooked spaghetti with butter, garlic, salt and pepper and the tomatoe, onion, prawn mixture.
It was delicious!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 12:50 pm
@Dan H,
Welcome to a2k, Dan H.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 01:49 pm
@ossobuco,
I fell asleep on the sofa, dinner is still in the oven, it's been raining all day.

Mine is the smaller one 8". I enjoyed the video, it also reminded me I should run out and get some good bread to have with our dinner tonight!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 02:07 pm
@jcboy,
I haven't tried the bread in the 8" one, have been using my big old army navy cast iron dutch oven, which is, to me, too big but works. The 8" might be just right. Will do that next bread go-round. I suppose I should figure out what volume the 8" one contains.
jcboy

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 03:18 pm
@ossobuco,
I'd like to learn how to bake bread, perhaps after we get moved.

The boys are home. I ran and picked up some fresh baked bread and now making a nice salad. Dinner smells yummy.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg841/scaled.php?server=841&filename=saladj.jpg&res=landing
ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 03:18 pm
@jcboy,
put that knife away! weren't you taught never to use a knife on salad?
jcboy

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 03:21 pm
@ehBeth,
Antonio likes it chopped up fine, Razz
ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 04:15 pm
@jcboy,
no chopping

you'll have to learn to rip it into tiny pieces

knives on lettuce

<shudder>
ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 04:23 pm
@ehBeth,
Wiki on using knives for chopping lettuce, the whens and the whys -

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Should_you_cut_lettuce_with_a_knife_or_rip_it_by_hand
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 04:50 pm
His beef burgundy was delicious! Fresh sliced baked bread with butter. And to think just a year ago I had to show him how to turn the stove on.

Antonio said he’s stuffed and can’t get off the sofa!
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 04:57 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
put that knife away! weren't you taught never to use a knife on salad?

I have heard that....why though? It doesn't seem to hurt it....does it?

We are having pork chops. And salad with strawberries and feta....my red wine vinegrette....and garlic parmesan pasta. I suppose since I have the plan I should go put it into action...

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 04:59 pm
@mismi,
I was taught that the metal reacts with the chemicals in the lettuce. I'm not going to mess with that.

(trying to remember if I learned that in the 1960's or 1970's - I know I've never lived with anyone who used a metal knife on lettuce)
mismi

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 05:00 pm
@ehBeth,
gotcha....makes perfect sense. Osso's link confused me at first...but I think that is what it was saying as well.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 05:03 pm
@mismi,
thanks for the reminder about the pork chops - there were some pretty butterflied chops in the fridge - they just went into the pan
mismi

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 05:48 pm
@ehBeth,
No problem. Very Happy

I grilled mine. I love pork chops. Rally I dooooo.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 05:50 pm
@ehBeth,
See my link above.. oops, I see mismi remarked on it.

It said the seventies. I cooked in the sixties, can't remember re the tearing business one way or another.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 05:52 pm
@mismi,
It said if you were going to eat the lettuce up right away it doesn't matter, and if you are keeping it around (probably even for a bit), either tear the leaves (because of the metal reactivity) or use one of the plastic knives made for that purpose (I'd never heard of that).
farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 06:04 pm
@mismi,
youre supposed to "tear" greens in salads. I find torn greens somewhat barbaric. We slice the greens. A fav way is to cut a really small head of bibb lettuce or deertyonguie (makes really loose heads) into quarters and then just only "mess it upa teeny bit". Then in te center drop long slivers of onion (red natch) fig chunks, some long slivers of banana pepper (ripe only) some juliennes of nice cold carrot. Then drizzle with any kind of snazzy dressing you can thik of. We use a oiless elderly balsamic mixed wth sweet rice wine, and 2 Tblspns of Cherry coke.