Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 05:02 pm
@alex240101,
Yeah, I hear you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 05:03 pm
@sozobe,
http://mrsbutterfingers.com/wp/?p=654

(you're obviously not starting with raw bones so the starting colour is different)
jcboy

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 05:39 pm
@ehBeth,
We had dinner out tonight, Antonio wanted a cheesburger so we went to The Burg. Tomorrow I’ll be making a meatloaf with mashed potatoes. Anyone know any good meatload recipes?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 05:55 pm
@jcboy,
This may be the night I play with making corn tortillas. The masa sack is on the counter. The counter is even clean.

On the other hand, tomorrow may be soon enough.
I should probably eat the leftover pasta/chile/pork/lima bean concoction that is already thawed.

Or maybe I'll do both.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 05:56 pm
@jcboy,
meatload...

Shocked

coupla pounds of hamburger, (a little ground pork if you wish)3 sleeves of crumbled saltines, 2 eggs, some green pepper (red if you have them) mustard, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. and then mix the crap outta the stuff.

top with cambells tomato soup baked on it...
jcboy

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:00 pm
@Rockhead,
hehehe, I meant meatloaf Smile

I may give that one a try, last time I just used the lawry's meatloaf mix, it wasn’t bad but not that great either.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:01 pm
@jcboy,
too salty, that one...

mine is real flexible.

sometimes I would add celery and onion for variation.

of course, I've not made one in a long time. no beef or crackers now...
jcboy

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:05 pm
@Rockhead,
You’re right about the lawrys, it’s very salty! I like celery and onion, saltines sounds good, sometimes I use bread crumb. I was thinking of slicing tomatoes and putting them on top.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:17 pm
@jcboy,
I don't like straight old beef meatloaf. I either mix in ground turkey or some type of sausage. Instead of crackers, I grew up with oatmeal mixed in. No green bell pepper, thank you very much. Red bell pepper if you have to have bell pepper. I like some worcestershire sauce in the mix.

Once I've got everything mixed - mixed but not overmixed - the meat gets mushy if overworked - I wrap the whole mess in bacon before it goes into the oven.

Cook it covered to start, then uncover it for the top bacon to get crispy, then carefully flip it to get the underside crispy.

tons of variations here

http://southernfood.about.com/lr/meatloaf_recipes/672954/1/

these directions are pretty basic (for about 2 lbs of meat -whatever combo you decide on)

1 mix meat and seasonings in a bowl

2 Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well with your hands.

3 Smooth mixture out in same bowl and cover with plastic wrap.

4 Refrigerate for at least one hour.

5 Preheat oven to 350°F.

6 Remove meat mixture from the refrigerator.

7 Put the meat mixture in a baking dish or cake pan.

8 Shape it so that the meat does not touch the sides of the dish or pan.

9 This allows room for the meatloaf to expand

10 Bake for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes, depending on thickness of the loaf.

11 Remove from oven and let stand for about 10 minutes to allow meat to"set".
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:17 pm
@jcboy,
Do you have a crockpot? I've used this recipe from Food Network and received good reviews...

Crockpot Meatloaf w/Sour Cream Sauce

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups bread or cracker crumbs
1 1/4 cups milk
2 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 pound sausage
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup sour cream
1 can cream of mushroom soup
Preparation:
First, make foil "handles." Fold a 24 to 30-inch long piece of foil in half lengthwise. Place in bottom of a slow cooker with both ends hanging over top edge of cooker.The foil strip will make it much easier to remove the meatloaf when it's done. I also put a piece of crumpled foil in the bottom to keep the meatloaf out of the fat.

Soak bread or cracker crumbs in milk. Mix meat, seasonings and soaked crumbs thoroughly. Shape meat mixture into loaf and place in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours. In a bowl, combine sour cream and mushroom soup; pour over meatloaf. Cover and cook on HIGH 30 minutes longer.

I also add some whole mushrooms somewhere near the end of cooking -- about 2 hours.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:19 pm
Ah, I see Beth and I posted at the same time. Now you'll have a couple of recipes to switch back and forth with.

Beth: I use oatmeal, too! So handy since we almost never have crackers lurking around.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:32 pm
@jcboy,
jc, you are going to be fired with your ass in a chute if you use some damned dumb mix.

There is a history here of meatloaf threads, or at least meatloaf as one thread or a tag, or meatloaf mentioned in threads.

Meantime, how's the weather? Keep us informed.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Here:

http://able2know.org/search/?cx=partner-pub-3092869023721312%3Adw2qoa-tocz&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=meatloaf&sa=Search+»&siteurl=able2know.org%2Fsearch%2F&ref=able2know.org%2Fforum%2Fmeatloaf%2F&ss=4744j3462848j12
the prince

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 09:28 pm
@ossobuco,
I need to start teaching jcboy some Indian cooking as well.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 09:45 pm
@the prince,
Absolutely.
I'm not sure he knows about it.

Be gentle.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 02:06 pm
I’m going to have to make the meatloaf tomorrow. I picked up Antonio from school and we both fell asleep and took a nap and now I just woke up and don’t feel like cooking.

We will have to eat out tonight and I’ll make it tomorrow.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 02:10 pm
@jcboy,
I think it's been scientifically proven that meatloaf tastes better when cooked on a Friday then when cooked on a Thursday. Our universe's laws of physics are just weird that way. Razz
jcboy

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 02:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
Or Saturday since Friday is our family dinner out night Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 02:15 pm
@jcboy,
I hearby announce that I finally finished the green chile pork I made riffing on Marco's found recipe. Interesting living alone, leftovers last quite a while and need to be parceled out, to me anyway, or I'll get tired of something and not want to cook it again. That didn't happen with this, it tasted just as good each time I ate some of it.

More complicatedly, I still have some of the same pork uncooked in the freezer, and I'll try to adapt "my" carne adobada to Marco's cooking method in the green chile recipe.. that is, baking it, using my timing.

We'll see, won't do that for a few days yet.

jcboy

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 02:32 pm
@ossobuco,
I wish he would make it more often, I love it! I've been doing a lot more cooking lately because I get off work earlier then him. I'm actually enjoying cooking but I wouldn't dare make his chili verde, his is just too good!