Dinner tonight - or last night.

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2012 12:40 am
@the prince,
When were you in Singapore? BTW, have you ever tried St Juliens? I took my friends there for dinner, because a friend who knows about restaurants around the world in our travel group recommended it. They're known for the "real" French cuisine.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 04:12 am
A big bowl of mushroom/garlic spaghetti ... with lots chopped parsley tossed in at the end.
Yum.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 05:57 am
@msolga,
I am always leery of mushrooms. This goes back to the combined efforts of Ray Bradbury and Alfred Hitchcock in the episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Special Delivery.

At least for now it can even be accessed through youtube

After seeing that, mushrooms on pizza, in a salad, in the trunk of a car, even in a can from B in B sitting on a store shelf gave me the shivers.
msolga

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 06:08 am
@Sturgis,
Poison mushrooms?
Why thank you, Sturgis.
So thoughtful! Wink

Alfred Hitchcock Presents
What a blast from the past!

I'll watch it tomorrow.
Bed time now.
Good night.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 04:03 pm
@Sturgis,
Thank you very much, Sturgis, for posting the You Tube video! Smile I had read the Ray Bradbury short story "Boys! Raise Giant Mushrooms in Your Cellar!" years ago, but had not heard of the Alfred Hitchcock Presents adaptation (written by Bradbury himself!). I just watched it this afternoon with my younger daughter. We enjoyed it! Smile
ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 05:11 pm
@wmwcjr,
too hot to eat

I've had some pink grapefruit juice and an ice tea

trying to think of anything tempting to eat
ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 07:29 pm
@ehBeth,
yogurt turned out to be the answer
ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 07:36 pm
@ehBeth,
Strange food at a local and convenient chain restaurant. Ms. Picky hasn't tasted such overcooked green beans in years and years; the roast turkey was some sort of manufactured item, and that all came with mashed potatoes and gravy, a large scoop of heavy carb dressing (as in "stuffing"), and two concrete corn muffins. Not to whine, it was there, a handy port in a storm, and the company was good.

I call it the weight gain plate, or it would have been if I ate it all.
jcboy

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 03:58 pm
@ossobuco,
Tonight we are going across the bridge to Tampa. There is a PF Changs there and I haven’t had their food since I moved to Florida, hmmm lettuce wraps and hot and sour soup. Cool
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 04:01 pm
@ossobuco,
Sounds pretty much like Boston Market chain, right?
jcboy

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 04:20 pm
@Ragman,
We're off to dinner downtown, and I have a five day weekend Wink
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 05:12 pm
@jcboy,
Yeah, we haven't seen one of your cooking pictures in ages....barely married and gave up cooking! Wink
jcboy

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 06:42 pm
@CalamityJane,
We’ve been so busy lately haven’t had much time to cook. Tomorrow night we will be having hot dogs at the Rays game but I plan on making a Sunday dinner. Stay tuned! Cool
jcboy

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 05:17 pm
@jcboy,
We had dinner out tonight because I didn’t have time to cook, it was a busy day! But stay tuned tomorrow!
msolga

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 06:52 pm
@jcboy,
We will! Smile

Last night I cooked kedgeree (or an easy version of it). A traditional Anglo/Indian breakfast consisting of a somewhat unlikely combination of smoked fish (I used cod), rice, Indian spices, hard-boiled eggs, parsley & lemon juice & a few other ingredients ....

I'd come across so many references to kedgeree in so many novels about India & was really curious to find out what it actually tasted like.
Verdict: surprisingly good! (the recipe I used was a bit different to Jamie Oliver's (below) ) The lemon juice & rind at the end gave it a lovely tang & I was liberal in my use of the chopped parsley, which I love ...
Anyway, I was pretty impressed with the end result!

But for breakfast?
I don't think so! Smile

http://c3319576.r76.cf0.rackcdn.com/por_258.jpg

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/kedgeree

jcboy

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 02:16 pm
@msolga,
My chicken cacciatore is cooking. Going to have it with rice and sauteed spinach. Antonio loves chicken and rice and this kid eats any kind of vegie you cook!

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg225/scaled.php?server=225&filename=ch3bi.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg4/scaled.php?server=4&filename=ch2em.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg832/scaled.php?server=832&filename=ch1u.jpg&res=landing

Ragman

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 02:24 pm
@jcboy,
It looks mouthwateringly goo--oood!
jcboy

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 02:30 pm
@Ragman,
Thanks! it smells good! it has to cook for 40 minutes until the meat is about to fall off the bone.
Ragman

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 03:08 pm
@jcboy,
Yeah! The tomato sauce (acidic) can slow the cooking through down a little, I understand. You're sure getting good mileage out of that cooking course.
jcboy

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2012 03:36 pm
@Ragman,
I have learned a lot from her. She was a chef for 30 years then retired, decided to start a part time cooking class. She’s vacationing now but I will be signing up again in August when she returns.

This weekend I’m going to be making Jewish penicillin.

Matzah Balls!
Cool