Dinner tonight - or last night.

Rockhead

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 02:11 pm
@MMarciano,
I think I'll just have the macaroni and cheese, thanks...
jcboy

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 05:32 pm
@Rockhead,
My roast came out pretty good, the meat wasn’t as tender as the last roast I cooked and now I can’t remember what type of roast this was, will have to switch back to the other cut of meat next time.

I just might cook again tomorrow night!
Rockhead

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 05:34 pm
@jcboy,
I can't do beef any more, but I always try to get a cut with some fat on the bottom. I make a mean pork roast now...

do you leave the lid on when you bake it.?

and do you braise it first?
jcboy

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 05:37 pm
@Rockhead,
Was I suppose to braise it? sounds like work lol. I did keep the lid on and I noticed there wasn't any fat on this roast. I believe the fat probably helps to tenderize the meat.

I might try a pork roast tomorrow!
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 07:49 pm
@jcboy,
Next time, brown the roast all over in the frying pan first before giving it into the oven, jcboy. In browning the meat it closes up the pores and keeps the juices inside, thus making it more tender.
jcboy

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 08:02 pm
@CalamityJane,
Thank you Jane, I didn't know that, when ever I ask Marco what to do he tells me to read the cookbook!

I might brown a pork roast tomorrow Wink
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 08:10 pm
@CalamityJane,
I also tell him if you’re cooking in the kitchen you can’t be in the living room watching TV at the same time. That’s usually how he finds out if the smoke detector needs new batteries or not.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 08:32 pm
@MMarciano,
Hah! My teenager does that when she cooks spaghetti for herself. She's the entire time on facebook while I can hear the water boiling over and she still types away having all the patience in the world. No wonder I get gray hairs.....
Dutchy

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 08:53 pm
@CalamityJane,
You're much to young to get gray hairs C/J Wink
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 09:00 pm
@Dutchy,
You're such a sweetheart, Dutchy! http://www.en.kolobok.us/smiles/he_and_she/tender.gif
jcboy

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 03:02 pm
@CalamityJane,
I won’t be making a roast tonight, too late for that. I’m making spaghetti with homemade meatballs. I’m going to brown the meatballs in a skillet with a little olive oil and minced garlic then cook them in the sauce.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 03:34 pm
@msolga,
I take that back, its going to be spaghetti with meat sauce, my meatballs are falling apart in the skillet.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 09:00 pm
@jcboy,
meatballs are a level 3 skill...

tonight we are having a giant pot of great northern beans.

what makes them great?

I do...

three ham shanks, 2 onions and a large clove of garlic.

cook for 4 hours.

add cornbread to taste...
Dutchy

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 09:10 pm
@Rockhead,
Cordon Bleu with fresh cauliflower, broccoli, roast potatoes and sauce. Sliced pine apple with icecream for dessert.
jcboy

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 04:14 pm
@Dutchy,
Usually Friday evenings is our family dinner out but Marco had to work a little late so I’m ordering something from The Queen & I here in St. Pete and Antonio and I will drive over to pick up din din.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 04:26 pm
@jcboy,
I'm about to get involved in making up eight big burritos to freeze - but I'll probably also eat a half of one: already cooked brown rice, dab of medium hot enchilada sauce, a mix of canned black and pinto beans, some spicy pork sausage, chopped raw yellow onions, grated monterey jack cheese wrapped in flour tortillas, baked a short time to meld flavors, though that isn't really necessary; foil wrap.
jcboy

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 03:56 pm
@ossobuco,
We're on our way over to Tommy and Jeff's for din din, our pals in St. Pete!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 04:10 pm
@jcboy,
Have fun.. and report.

I don't have any ricotta or parmigiano to make mushroom stuffed ravioli, and am a little kitchened out anyway. So... here comes a butter/milk reduction with pre sauteed chopped onions and a carton of ordinary mushrooms slivered by me, plus a couple of dried porcini plumped up and sliced, some deli crappo ham, and likely some basil and mild to medium chile powder and black pepper, to go over linguine.

The sad thing is, I'm about at the end of my goodly dried porcini supply that a friend brought back from italy for me. <weeps>

Adds, I need to learn how to have herbs growing in my kitchen in winter in the land of sand and snow.. Well, I know how, but I need to just do it.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 04:24 pm
@ossobuco,
I have a Beef Bourguignon cooking for the last 3 hours - another hour and we can eat. Jane is going to a homecoming dance tonight, so she needs a good
substance for dancing away the night.....uh evening I should say - that young lady has to be home by midnight Smile
ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 06:30 pm
@CalamityJane,
oyster mushroom/ham/cheese omelette

just the thing for a relaxed Saturday night