Dinner tonight - or last night.

msolga

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 06:34 pm
I'm cooking very simple fare at the moment. Last night: two small grilled lamb chops*, plus some roasted vegies (sweet potato, potato, onion & carrots - I think I could happily live on roasted vegies indefintely. Love em!

*Knowing very little about the different cuts of lamb (I rarely eat it) & which would be most suitable for my purpose, I caused a bit of a passionate debate in the butcher shop when I asked for advice! Seems everyone in the place had a strong, fixed opinion on their particular favourite! But chump chops won the day. One of the customers was very persuasive! Laughing

Tonight: Dunno. Depends on how my taste buds are faring. (cough, sniffle ...)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 06:36 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
breakfast for supper for me

And why not? If it was good & there was plenty left over .....

Very Happy
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 06:37 pm
@msolga,
Last night I had a lamb shoulder stuffed with garlic, covered with lemon juice and spices, with mixed veg on the side. It was ******* excellent.

Cycloptichorn
mismi

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 06:39 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
tonight we are having a rotisserie chicken, steamed broccoli and rice - plain fare - but still yummy...it smells amazing - can't wait to eat it.
djjd62

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 06:44 pm
plain fare is often the best
msolga

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 06:45 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
It was ******* excellent.

It certainly sounds like it was!! (garlic, lemon juice, spices ..... drool)

Did you cook it yourself, Cyclo?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 06:49 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
plain fare is often the best

I agree. Especially if one is not feeling too perky or energetic!.
But .... sometimes ...... a girl enjoys going a bit wild with the garlic, the herbs, the spices! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 06:50 pm
@mismi,
Quote:
...it smells amazing - can't wait to eat it.

You're such an enthusiastic cook, mismi. Love it!Very Happy
mismi

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:09 pm
@msolga,
I love food msolga - love to cook it, love to eat it, love to hear how others cook it, think it is such an integral part of all we do...this is a great thread for foodies...

I have never cooked lamb...was it difficult? How did you prepare it?

I hope your cold gets better soon...annoying aren't they?
margo

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:35 pm
@mismi,
I love lamb!
Lamb is a quite fatty meat, so needs to be dry cooked, preferably grilled. I put lamb chops, cutlets, etc., on my George Foreman griller - or under the grill in the oven. Those little lamb cutlets are a bit expensive - but just beautiful. Very Happy

Some people crumb lamb cutlets and then fry them, but I think this is criminal - and warrants the death penalty! (or thereabouts!)

Lamb legs and shoulders, racks, etc. are better roasted, but dry roast - on a rack, so that the fat can drain away. You may want to put some water in the bottom of the baking dish. Helps with the gravy later!

Lamb fillets are quite lean and can be a bit dry. They may benefit from some oil during the cooking. Short cooking, hot-pan-fried, but not soaked in oil or fat. Should be pink-red in the middle. May need a sauce. Red wine sauce is good.

Lamb goes well with rosemary - and I have an oversexed rosemary bush, so put the lamb leg on a rack on a bed of rosemary and roast slowly for a couple of hours (say 3-4). If I'm really energetic, I stab the leg in several places and stuff with little bits of garlic, rosemary and/or anchovies (Jamie Oliver tip). You may want to cover with foil for the first two hours or so.

The traditional accompaniment for lamb is mint sauce (English style) - but I think that's a bit boring, so I make a sort of Asian-ised mint sauce, using Vietnamese mint, chilli, and fish sauce, with vinegar and a little bit of sugar. It's a whole different taste sensation.

I serve this with a whole tray of baked vegetables - more than you'd imagine a group of people could possibly eat! They do.

And don't forget the gravy. Drain the fat off the remains in the pan (or drain the droppings into a jug, and place in freezer until fat solidifies, remove the fat) and use the remains, with just a touch of flour, and some water and/or slosh in some red wine!. Stirred and boiled until it thickens. Pinch of salt perhaps, but taste first. Do this while the lamb is resting after cooking.

Can you tell I love lamb?
mckenzie

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 12:59 am
@margo,
Loving lamb here, too margo. Lamb chops, rack of lamb or lamb leg. That's all that's available here. Have never seen lamb fillets! No anchovies, but definitely rosemary and garlic.
mismi

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 07:38 am
@mckenzie,
I have never tried cooking it myself....I am not sure why - I am usually a pretty bold cook...I guess because I didn't grow up eating it. My husband loves it...I might try to make it for us this weekend. You make it sound so good Margo...
thanks!
mis

Tonight we are having barbecue pork sandwiches and soup and salad...the soup has beans in it...so I am doomed with 4 boys around here. Good grief. I think I will excuse myself to my room rather early tonight.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 08:36 am
@margo,
I marinate my lamb chops in a homemade italian, that is almost as flammable as gas. Sear, then upper rack , until medium, medium rare. The butcher I go to for my chops, french cuts them, but, leaves a bit of meat and fat on the handle. Seared lamb fat in moderation.
mismi. A lot of finger pulling?
What cut of pork, for the pulled pork sandwiches?
mismi

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 08:51 am
@alex240101,
I hope they don't start that finger pulling stuff...yuck...but there will be gas and they don't inconvenience themselves. Seriously - I think I need to lay the law down about that. My brother made it through life without all of that - I think I can expect it of them as well. Laughing

It was a bad cut of a pork roast Alex...I got it for $4.oo. A bone and some serious fat - but there was enough meat on it to get two meals out of it. I cut most of the fat off before I slow cooked it - garlic, onion, salt and pepper. It is nice and tender and should make some great sandwiches tonight. I will have to do a few extra minutes on the stair climber today though! Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 09:21 am
@alex240101,
So tell us about the italian marinade...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 05:58 pm
@djjd62,
breakfast for supper here tonight

crumbled pork sausage and shredded taco blend cheese omelette

salsa verde on the side

I made enough of the omelette that I will be able to take an omelette sandwich in the car to eat on the commute to work.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 06:02 pm
@mismi,
lamb lamb lamb is awesome

I love it so much that Set started muttering about it - he likes it as a treat - not a diet staple.

Lamb chops grill up nicely on the George Foreman. I like chops with greek salad.

Lamb you can eat with a spoon. One of my all-time favourites. Tai Chi posted a slow cooker version of it some time ago. I wonder if we can find it. It is easy and scrumpdillyicious.
hamburger

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 06:51 pm
@ehBeth,
NO cooking today !
it was the company's annual luncheon for retirees and "25 year veterans" .
before lunch bar and a nice lunch at MINOS restaurant .
the food was good , but the most enjoyable part was meeting and chatting with old co-workers again .
i noticed that a lot of the "young girls" that started working right out of high school some years ago (i hired some of them) , have now become "retirees" !
Shocked Wink
the company photographer took lots of pictures for the monthly newsletter and the company scrapbook .
the president assured us that the actuaries had assured him that the pension fund was "solid" - the news we were all waiting for !!!
that was more important than the luncheon .
hbg
ehBeth

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 06:53 pm
@hamburger,
Minos! nice - was there lamb?
mismi

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 07:14 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
the president assured us that the actuaries had assured him that the pension fund was "solid" - the news we were all waiting for !!!
that was more important than the luncheon .

That is a happy thing! So glad for you!

Beth - I am going to look for the crock pot recipe from Tai Chi