Why Iraq Was a Mistake

freedom4free

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:42 am
Brandon9000

Quote:
most of the liberals on this board

Caught you lying.., ofcourse if its true, then please provide proof ? Smile

Please prove that most people on this board are 'Liberals'.

Waiting....
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:43 am
Anon-Voter wrote:
"We want the ones who can be fooled ALL THE TIME!!"

George Bush
Chickenshit In Chief

Interesting that your best argument against him is to put words in his mouth.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:46 am
freedom4free wrote:
Brandon9000

Quote:
most of the liberals on this board

Caught you lying.., ofcourse if its true, then please provide proof ? Smile

Please prove that most people on this board are 'Liberals'.

Waiting....

When you respond to my first post in the thread, which answered your first post, I will respond to you. I won't hold my breath, because you are apparently unable to, and it's apparently not in your nature to try. Your primary debating technique here seems to be to post other peoples' thoughts, and avoid any direct defense of your argument or direct refutation of your opponents' arguments.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:46 am
Quote:
There was no trick. 12 years after the end of Gilf War 1, it was not possible to determine whether Saddam Hussein still had WMD and WMD development programs. We could not allow doomsday weapons to fall into the hands of a madman. Had he acquired a stockpile of WMD, the world might have paid a terrible price later. This reasoning is not a "trick."

Let's see

Quote:
There was no trick.

You mean to say, 'I believe there was no trick. You cannot conclusively prove that the Bush admin didn't have contrary information that they kept to themselves. Therefore, you are making an assertion here without fact to back it up.

Quote:
12 years after the end of Gilf War 1, it was not possible to determine whether Saddam Hussein still had WMD and WMD development programs.

This is false. Noone had concluded that it 'wasn't possible' to find out the truth. The UN weapons inspectors certainly didn't believe this to be the case; it was only a matter of time and effort.

The US could have spent billions bolstering the effort to search for the WMD with far greater result than what we have done today. But we didn't, and now we are stuck with the knowledge that we were wrong. We rushed to war on bad intel.

Your attempt to portray a situation in which options did not exist is completely false and fails under examination. The US and UN did have other options; it is abundantly clear that Iraq wasn't a threat to anyone.

Quote:
We could not allow doomsday weapons to fall into the hands of a madman.

Was there any proof that Saddam had 'doomsday weapons?' There was never any proof he had nukes, and while Biological and Chem weapons are deadly, they are hardly 'doomsday.' And there was zero evidence that Saddam was threatening us with said 'weapons' or had any ability to do so.

Once again, you attempt to paint a situation in which there are no options. There are, of course, options.

Quote:
Had he acquired a stockpile of WMD, the world might have paid a terrible price later.

Operative word: might. This is base and unsupportable conjecture on your part.

Quote:
This reasoning is not a "trick."

Yes it is. I have shown how you have attempted to remove any question of option from the situation, when options (such as, say, not attacking) did exist. You use scare tactic language such as 'madman' and 'doomsaday weapon' in order to exaggerate the threat. These are rhetorical tricks you employ to further the argument along emotional as well as logical lines, and it really should be beneath someone who consistently claims to care about debate.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:47 am
I'm sure he is a standup guy and a good Marine. I admire the fact that he finally decided to say something.

I do, however, think it is a little hypocritical and a lot unfair for him to citicize other soldiers for doing the same thing that he did.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:25 am
boomerang wrote:
I'm sure he is a standup guy and a good Marine. I admire the fact that he finally decided to say something.

I do, however, think it is a little hypocritical and a lot unfair for him to citicize other soldiers for doing the same thing that he did.
I tend to agree. There is a sense here of "it's okay to stick my neck out now because other folks have already done so and my pension is safe." The time for all of these guys to speak up was while they were still in and maybe able to influence events.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:30 am
http://img.timeinc.net/time/home/images/time_logo2.gif

TIME: Would Israel take military action to stop Iran's nuclear program?
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:44 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:

George Bush
Chickenshit In Chief

Actually, that is exactly what he said ... it's obvious he was talking about you!

Anon
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:47 am
blacksmithn wrote:
boomerang wrote:

I tend to agree. There is a sense here of "it's okay to stick my neck out now because other folks have already done so and my pension is safe." The time for all of these guys to speak up was while they were still in and maybe able to influence events.

His retirement is secured, he is safe, he can talk now.

Anon
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 02:02 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
There was no trick. 12 years after the end of Gilf War 1, it was not possible to determine whether Saddam Hussein still had WMD and WMD development programs. We could not allow doomsday weapons to fall into the hands of a madman. Had he acquired a stockpile of WMD, the world might have paid a terrible price later. This reasoning is not a "trick."

Let's see

Quote:
There was no trick.

You mean to say, 'I believe there was no trick. You cannot conclusively prove that the Bush admin didn't have contrary information that they kept to themselves. Therefore, you are making an assertion here without fact to back it up.

No, I'm not. I cannot see what was in Bush's mind, but I can say that the argument I have given for invading, the same argument that he gave for invading, is logically correct. If someone tells me I should take a certain medicine, and gives me absolutely correct reasons based on my medical condition, then I can say that it is not a trick, even without knowing his motivations. If he had some base reason for wanting to invade, then it only means that he did the right thing for the wrong reason.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
12 years after the end of Gilf War 1, it was not possible to determine whether Saddam Hussein still had WMD and WMD development programs.

This is false. Noone had concluded that it 'wasn't possible' to find out the truth. The UN weapons inspectors certainly didn't believe this to be the case; it was only a matter of time and effort.

The US could have spent billions bolstering the effort to search for the WMD with far greater result than what we have done today. But we didn't, and now we are stuck with the knowledge that we were wrong. We rushed to war on bad intel.

Your attempt to portray a situation in which options did not exist is completely false and fails under examination. The US and UN did have other options; it is abundantly clear that Iraq wasn't a threat to anyone.

We had been playing this game with Hussein for a dozen years, and he had never furnished clear evidence that he had destroyed these weapons and these programs. Indeed, he had several times denied inspectors access to sites they wished to inspect. While, in principle, one could go on and on forever with someone who is not furnishing proof of compliance, and is obstructing the effort, but it is not reasonable. Indeed, had he merely been hiding his weapons and programs more adeptly, there might have been a finite time window before his programs reached the point where he could just stop pretending, and tell the whole world to go to hell, as the North Koreans have now done. There was a reasonable chance that Hussein was simply hiding has weapons more adeptly, and, therefore, a reasonable chance that he was a huge threat to the world. If I say that there is a 50 per cent chance that a coin will come up heads, and it subsequently comes up tails, it doesn't mean that I was wrong.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
We could not allow doomsday weapons to fall into the hands of a madman.

Was there any proof that Saddam had 'doomsday weapons?' There was never any proof he had nukes, and while Biological and Chem weapons are deadly, they are hardly 'doomsday.' And there was zero evidence that Saddam was threatening us with said 'weapons' or had any ability to do so.

Once again, you attempt to paint a situation in which there are no options. There are, of course, options.

There was, however, proof that he had nuclear weapons development programs, and although I agree that chemical weapons are not doomsday weapons, biological weapons certainly may be. I repeat that we could not allow doomsday weapons to fall into the hands of an evil madman.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
Had he acquired a stockpile of WMD, the world might have paid a terrible price later.

Operative word: might. This is base and unsupportable conjecture on your part.....Cycloptichorn

To take agressive action to protect oneself against a non negligible probability of a terrible disaster is certainly supportable and justified.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:12 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:

George Bush
Chickenshit In Chief

Actually, that is exactly what he said ... it's obvious he was talking about you!

Anon

No, it isn't. You simply put words in his mouth, since it's an easy, albeit unworthy, way to put someone down, whether he's guilty of anything or not.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:49 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

As early as 1991 Colin Powell testified before the before the Foreign Operations, Export Financing and Related Programs Subcommittee of the Senate Appropriations Committee saying, in regard to Iraq's WMD, that as a result of the sanctions that were imposed on Iraq after the first Gulf War Iraq's WMD capability had been contained. According to him, the best evidence indicated that Iraq was pursuing WMD programs, but were not successful. He believed that Iraq still had some WMD stockpiles under their control from ten or twelve years previous (during the time of Iraq's war with Iran when it did use chemical weapons), but that they did not have the capacity to deliver these systems, or that they even had these kinds of systems much beyond what they had had then, ten or twelve years ago.

Any kind of threat posed by Iraq's potential WMD capability at the time right before the US' invasion could have been summarily dealt with through air strikes or some such measures.

The invasion used for the purposes of ensuring Iraq's WMD potential was, to say the very least, overkill. The invasion was for much more than the official US government line.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 06:20 am
InfraBlue wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

As early as 1991 Colin Powell testified before the before the Foreign Operations, Export Financing and Related Programs Subcommittee of the Senate Appropriations Committee saying, in regard to Iraq's WMD, that as a result of the sanctions that were imposed on Iraq after the first Gulf War Iraq's WMD capability had been contained. According to him, the best evidence indicated that Iraq was pursuing WMD programs, but were not successful. He believed that Iraq still had some WMD stockpiles under their control from ten or twelve years previous (during the time of Iraq's war with Iran when it did use chemical weapons), but that they did not have the capacity to deliver these systems, or that they even had these kinds of systems much beyond what they had had then, ten or twelve years ago.

Any kind of threat posed by Iraq's potential WMD capability at the time right before the US' invasion could have been summarily dealt with through air strikes or some such measures.

The invasion used for the purposes of ensuring Iraq's WMD potential was, to say the very least, overkill. The invasion was for much more than the official US government line.

How do you use air strikes to stop a hidden WMD development laboratory? As for an inability to deliver the WMD, all they would have to do is disassemble them, sneak the components into the target country, and reassemble them.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 06:23 am
yes, anything can happen anytime anywhere. Shall we use that as a premise to drop the big one? Sure, why not.....
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 07:36 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
yes, anything can happen anytime anywhere. Shall we use that as a premise to drop the big one? Sure, why not.....
It certainly looks like we're about to do just that with Iran.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 08:54 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

How do you use air strikes to stop a hidden WMD development laboratory? As for an inability to deliver the WMD, all they would have to do is disassemble them, sneak the components into the target country, and reassemble them.

Brandon, you are letting your paranoia get the better of you. Powell basically said that any threat from Saddam was negligible at best. There was no hidden WMD development laboratory. He thought at most there were leftover stockpiles of old chemical weapons from Iraq's war with Iran. By the time of Powell's testimony, those stockpiles were more than ten years old. The shelf life of those chemical weapons was less than half of that time span.

As to the question of the progress of Saddam's chemical and biological weapons programs Powell answered thusly:

The sanctions, as they are called, have succeeded over the last 10 years, not in deterring him from moving in that direction, but from actually being able to move in that direction. The Iraqi regime militarily remains fairly weak. It doesn't have the capacity it had 10 or 12 years ago. It has been contained. And even though we have no doubt in our mind that the Iraqi regime is pursuing programs to develop weapons of mass destruction -- chemical, biological and nuclear -- I think the best intelligence estimates suggest that they have not been terribly successful. There's no question that they have some stockpiles of some of these sorts of weapons still under their control, but they have not been able to break out, they have not been able to come out with the capacity to deliver these kinds of systems or to actually have these kinds of systems that is much beyond where they were 10 years ago.

A negligible threat does not warrant a full out invasion and occupation.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 09:59 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

Monitoring a madman's promise to destroy his doomsday weapons hardly falls into the category of "anything is theoretically possible."
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 10:23 pm
Would ya'll quit trying to give Brandon carpal tunnel syndrom? He's obviously made up his mind. Just go re-read some of the old threads if you want to hear his argument again.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 10:51 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Would ya'll quit trying to give Brandon carpal tunnel syndrom? He's obviously made up his mind. Just go re-read some of the old threads if you want to hear his argument again.

And your argument changes so much, of course (Bush lied and thosuands died).
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 11:27 pm
I just hope that the Democrats will not continue the war when they take control of Congress and later the White House. Already Hillary's sounding like a hawk, perhaps just to assure conservatives within her centrist sphere that she's ballsy. If she takes office I hope she will lead as a woman would. Don't ask me what that means; I'm hoping to find out.
0 Replies