The Stones in China

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 09:59 am
Quote:
http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/8568/zwischenablage017dx.th.jpg

For today's China, Stones concert is only rock 'n' roll

Rowan Callick, China correspondent
10apr06

IT took the veteran bad boys of rock more than 30 years to reach China. But in the end, the first Rolling Stones concert in mainland China on Saturday night was just another gig.

For China has itself become hip, a magnet for young Westerners eager to travel there, work there and pick up on the contemporary Chinese vibe.
And to many young middle-class Chinese, who travel widely in the West and enjoy contemporary Western music and movies - available ubiquitously in cheap, pirated form - the Stones are essentially a postscript of a rock era that passed their country by as it was convulsed by the Cultural Revolution.

Today, Shanghai is wealthier, more cutting-edge and more decadent than many cities in Europe or the US.

The 8000 who filled the indoor arena in which the Stones performed on Saturday their usual high-energy, two-hour set were largely foreigners working in Shanghai.

The band had earlier agreed, in discussion with the authorities, not to include five songs: Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women, Beast of Burden, Let's Spend the Night Together and Rough Justice.

Lead singer Mick Jagger, 62, told a press conference before the concert, with characteristic self-awareness: "I am pleased the Ministry of Culture is protecting the morals of expatriate bankers and their girlfriends."

He began the show by asking "Dajia hao ma?" - "How is everyone?"

A more significant local connection was forged for the Chinese in the audience - most paying more than the average monthly wage for a ticket - when Jagger brought Cui Jian onstage.

Cui's song Nothing To My Name became the anthem of the student demonstrators in Tiananmen Square in 1989, and it was years before he was permitted, gradually, to resume his role as the patriarch of the Chinese music scene.

He traded verses of Wild Horses with Jagger on Saturday night. State-owned China Central TV filmed the concert, and will broadcast it nationwide, reinforcing Cui's own renaissance.

The band was due to arrive in Sydney last night for its shows at Telstra Stadium tomorrow and in Melbourne on Thursday.

Source (photo copied/pasted from the sam paper's print version)

Chicago Tribune: No `Sugar' but some spice
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 502 • Replies: 2
No top replies

nimh

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 10:08 am
So ... I guess there's no cance of persuading the Chinese to keep 'em there, huh?
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 07:27 am
About a million years ago, as teenagers, my best friend and I went to see Roy Orbison. The first half of the show was this new group from the UK - The Rolling Stones. My friend and I had front row tickets and were bored silly by them.

Imagine our horror when the emcee announced after interval that the Big O was indisposed and would not be appearing, but that the Stones were going to come back and give another performance.

I never forgave Roy Orbison!
0 Replies