Foreign artists kept out of USA

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 01:01 am
Post-9/11 security rules aimed at stopping terrorists from entering America are keeping artists, musicians and others out as well: last week Britain's Halle Orchestra called off its American tour citing prohibitive visa fees and requirements.

Since this has been reported all over the world, it's now tried to find a solution:

Quote:
US changes tune in Halle visa row

BY DAVID OTTEWELL

THE US Embassy has revealed it is working on ways to take fingerprints in cities outside London after the Halle Orchestra cancelled an historic trip to America.
Consul General John Caulfield said the embassy was working with the Department of State in Washington on ways to take so-called "biometric" readings using computer networks.

It comes after the Halle, based in Manchester's Bridgewater Hall, scrapped a planned US tour, blaming the cost and red-tape involved in getting visas. Orchestra chiefs were told 1st each of 100 people planning to go on the trip would have to visit London for interviews andrecordings of fingerprints and other data. The cost was estimated at £45,000. Tourists can escape the restrictions, but professionals on working visits cannot.

The Halle had been planning to play in at least two US venues including the Lincoln Centre in New York. Chief executive John Summers described the "palaver" of getting visas as "mind-blowing". Mr Caulfield told the M.E.N: "The embassy is working with the Department of State to develop technology that would permit visa application and capture of biometric data remotely. But we do not have a deployable system yet and cannot predict when one might become available.

"We are happy to arrange for block interviews or individual interviews for large cultural groups at the preference of the applicant if they contact us sufficiently in advance of their travel date.
"When we learned from the media of the Halle Orchestra's concerns about the visa application process we offered to work with them to minimise the cost and inconvenience of the visa application.

"But we do nothave the discretion to dispense with the visa requirement which is a matter of US law."

A spokesman for the orchestra said the embassy had not mentioned the possibility of block interviews when arrangements were first being made.

source: Manchster Evening New, Friday April 7, 2006, Firts Edition, page 2
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 603 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 01:13 am
I'm not sure I sympathize for them as opposed to the rest of us.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 01:16 am
ossobuco wrote:
I'm not sure I sympathize for them as opposed to the rest of us.

That means?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 01:17 am
Ah.
I'd read the question fast. Still. Given that one guards borders, and don't assume that for me that is a given, exactly, but given that a country does, then it seems to me clear that all going through need to be cleared. Am I missing something on that?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 01:22 am
Foreign artists kept out of USA: Yo Yo Ma:
Quote:
[...]
According to the U.S. Government Accountability Office, visitors from Mexico City can expect to wait more than four months to get a consulate interview for a temporary business visa. Visitors from throughout India face waits as long as 100 to 160 days.
[...]

Dennis Slater, president of the Association of Equipment Manufacturers, said he expected a delegation of about 40 people from India to attend an agriculture equipment trade show in Las Vegas last year.

When nearly half were denied visas and received poor treatment from the U.S. consulate, Slater said, another 12 canceled their visa appointments in solidarity.

The group attended a competing European trade show instead, he said.

Ma, who brings foreign musicians to the U.S. as part of his Silk Road project, said two Iranian performers he invited had to wait three months and spend $5,000 to get their visas.

With no U.S. embassy in Iran, he noted, both were forced to fly to Dubai first for an interview and later to pick up the visas. Last year, when the printer at the consulate was broken, they were forced to leave empty-handed and return to Dubai a third time.

Sandra Gibson, president of the Association of Performing Arts Presenters, cited a new field study showing the number of organizations hosting foreign artists has dropped from 75 percent to 60 percent since 2002.

She called the figure alarming, and said the anecdotal stories are equally troubling.

The Halle Orchestra, which last toured America in 1994 and performed at the Hollywood Bowl, this year discovered that each of their 100 performers would have to travel from Manchester about 185 miles to London for interviews.

Travel costs plus the new fingerprinting and other fees would have cost nearly $80,000, she said, so they canceled.

U.S. State Department Deputy Assistant Secretary for Visa Services called the personal interviews "an incredibly useful security tool" in weeding out those who wish to do harm to the U.S.

But, he acknowledged, the requirement as well as the need to collect biometrics is burdensome to applicants, and said the State Department would welcome the ability to be more flexible.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 01:25 am
As an aside: inquieries about visas can be done in (in Germany) only via a pay telephone line: 1.99 € per minute ($ 2.40).

(Though generally we don't need a visa as tourists.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 01:27 am
Having read further (why oh why do I talk so fast) I see there were distinctions for groups and indivuals.. (osso tears hair).

My bottom line is no borders - with economic liberty and a lot of other liberties - (I self question on that).

well, that's one of my bottom lines,
the other is for the government I apparently signed up for at birth and have renewed allegiance to over decades, that I have also paid into, watch my welfare instead of exploring oil fields with bomb use.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 01:51 am
but back to individuals...

I guess if a goverment is looking at individuals, it should look at them. Why all these people shown in Walter's articles are looked at - it goes with giant worry about some one or some country being out to get you, you being a person in an agency in Virginia.

To some extent, that comes from one's romping across the globe in earlier years.
0 Replies