Type 2 Diabetes?

fishin

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 03:22 pm
Takabe wrote:
It's weird because I've had symptoms of both hyper and hypoglycemia. I'll eat something and my blood sugar will get real high and stay pretty high for an hour or two, and then go down (but not to hypo levels) and I'll start having to urinate constantly. Is it possible to have symptoms of both? I took 5 Risperdal once (because I'm an idiot) and was rushed to the E.R. because I started feeling extremely dizzy and couldn't breathe. When I got to the hospital I didn't feel too bad, but then I urinated for nearly 10 minutes straight and all of a sudden the I.V. in my arm felt like the worst pain that I've ever experienced and I started feeling restless and whatnot, and had similiar feelings as when I had had low blood sugar symptoms in the past. I've had problems with blurry vision as well, which usually gets worse when I eat something with sugar in it and I've been getting rashes all over my body. I've also had a "tingling" sensation that I've heard could be a symptom of blood sugar too. So.....I'm stumped.

The problem with your symptoms here is that they are exactly backwards for a typical diabetic. You said "I'll eat something and my blood sugar will get real high and stay pretty high for an hour or two, and then go down (but not to hypo levels) and I'll start having to urinate constantly." but the frequent urination is usually present when blood sugar levels are very high for an extended period of time (days or weeks!). Diabetics tend to feel dehydrated when their blood sugar levels are high which causes them to drink a lot of fluids and as a result they urinate a lot. This is the body trying to flush the excess sugar out of the system. When your sugar levels are low your body wouldn't be pushing urination. That would reduce the amount of sugar in your body.

You also said "I've had problems with blurry vision as well, which usually gets worse when I eat something with sugar in it..." and again, this is backwards. Normally, diabetics that get blurry vision do so when their blood sugar levels drop very low which wouldn't be happening after you've eaten something with a lot of sugar in it. If you eat something with lots of sugar in it your blood sugar levels would be going up - not down.
0 Replies

Takabe

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 06:22 pm
Sorry I'm so vague. My symptoms are just so varied that it's hard to recall all of them at once. I have had hyper symptoms though, with my mouth getting very dry and having a pain in my stomach while being extremely thirsty and feeling very shitty until I do eat something. Could I be experiencing something like this:

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/medical/brittle+diabetes

?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 06:29 pm
I don't understand why you aren't discussing this more with your doctor, Takabe. It is hard to get in to see him or her?

Green Witch is right, lab personnel don't give med advice. And neither do receptionists. But to stop my beating up on Material Girl's advice to go over doctor's heads and go to the hospital, she may be right about your local hospital. Is there a Diabetes Clinic (run by doctors), by any chance? If so, you might be able to be seen there..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 06:34 pm
Also, you might consider writing all this down as it occurs. Keep a little notebook on it, so that when you do talk with experts, you'll have data for a pattern they can can understand, whether it is diabetes or not.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:27 pm
Our hospital maintains a diabetes councilor, and it's covered by insurance.. I just have to mention they require a doctor's referral. They don't do testing or diagnosis, though.
0 Replies

Dramaqueen

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 08:46 am
Keeping a log of your symptoms and diet is an excellent idea. My father was diabetic, along with my sister and brother and each had different symptoms and each responses differently to certain foods.
If I were you I would go to my doctor and explain the symptoms again. If he or she is not interested in performing tests because you had those tests a year ago, or if he or she is not interested in performing any other tests I would find myself another doctor.
Obviously something is wrong and you should seek out a doctor who will be helpful to you. We can offer up theories about your problems and even sympathy but we aren't doctors and a doctor is what you need.
0 Replies