Type 2 Diabetes?

Takabe

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:26 am
I've had problems with blood sugar, but haven't been diagnosed with anything yet. Whenever I eat something with sugar in it I get this uncomfortable feeling like it's just "sitting there." I also have to urinate usually right after eating specific foods with sugar, such as rice or orange juice. I was thinking of administering my own glucose tolerance test (had one taken about a year ago and doctor doesn't think I should have another one) using a monitoring kit I bought, and I was wondering if anybody knew of anything I could take to replace the glucola bottle. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,502 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:37 am
Self diagnosis is never good.

Diabetes is nothing to mess with.

What were the results of your glucose test a year ago? Obviously not enough for the doctor to watch.

What kind of "problems" have you had with your sugar?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:42 am
PreDiabetes
A reference guide to what your test results mean.

Also, the symptom you described doesn't sound like diabetes.

Symptoms of diabetes are:

# Frequent urination
# Excessive thirst
# Extreme hunger
# Unusual weight loss
# Increased fatigue
# Irritability
# Blurry vision
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:46 am
Glucose tolerance and c-peptide sound like overkill, really. You can get a home A1C test kit at Walgreens, and the like. Sometimes they even work. When the work at all, they seem consistant with lab results.

Do you have the option of changing doctors? I'm not questioning the advice, really, but you don't seem comfortable with it, and I'm surprised you mention a glucose tolerance test, and not the a1C.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:48 am
Uh, Bella, those are some fairly advanced symptoms.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:51 am
roger wrote:
Uh, Bella, those are some fairly advanced symptoms.

Most people don't notice anything is wrong until those symptoms occur.

Quote:
What Are the Symptoms of Pre-Diabetes

Although most people with pre-diabetes have no symptoms at all, symptoms of diabetes may include unusual thirst, a frequent desire to urinate, blurred vision, or extreme fatigue.

source

I am not trying to trivalize this situation but if the doctor isn't wanting to retest, that means that the first test probably came back normal and that there isn't a reason to retest.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:54 am
I guess we need to know what problems he has experienced with his blood sugar before making any assumptions.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:59 am
Thats interesting, I didnt know you could get self test kits.
I wouldnt trust them but it would be an indication if further treatment were necessary.
I think im hypoglycemic.

Takabe.I think you should forget the doctors, go over their heads and phone up the hospital.
At least make an enquiry about a test, or talk to them about your symptoms.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 10:19 am
Bella Dea wrote:
I guess we need to know what problems he has experienced with his blood sugar before making any assumptions.

^^ ditto.

There are any number of things that could be used instead of glucola. Many people can't tolerate the glucola and use an alternative, but I wouldn't suggest doing an unmonitored GTT. The reason they are done in the hosp/clinic is that you never know if it will trigger a glucose induced shock.

Was your prior GTT a three hour or five hour test? What were the outcomes?

There's nothing wrong with getting a second opinion but I would think any doctor would want to see a fasting baseline and 2 hour pc glocuse before going forward with a GTT.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 04:23 pm
material girl wrote:
Thats interesting, I didnt know you could get self test kits.
I wouldnt trust them but it would be an indication if further treatment were necessary.

Just as a point of reference - if you don't trust the glucose self-test kits they sell in stores then you shouldn't be trusting the tests done at the doctor's office either because they are done with much of the same equipment.

My daughter is a Type I diabetic and I've always bought her testing meters and test strips at Walmart or the local pharmacy (same brands/models).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 05:19 pm
And whom would you call in the hospital, Material Girl? Hospital labs don't need the aggravation of those kind of calls. They are busy and that is not their role.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:26 pm
Oh, fishin'? I was talking about the actual a1c test kit. I believe it's put out by Bristoll Meyer Squibb. Don't know if it's available to Material Girl, in the UK, or not.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 03:29 am
ossobuco wrote:
And whom would you call in the hospital, Material Girl? Hospital labs don't need the aggravation of those kind of calls. They are busy and that is not their role.

I have no idea, maybe the receptionist should know which department to direct the patient to,just to make a general enquiry or an appointment.
I thought the hospital was there to help people!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 05:56 am
[quote="material girl"
Takabe.I think you should forget the doctors, go over their heads and phone up the hospital.
At least make an enquiry about a test, or talk to them about your symptoms.[/quote]

Who is "over the heads" of doctors in a hospital? The doctors are the heads in a hospital. I certainly would not recommend getting your main medical advice from lab techs or nursing staff when confronting as serious a condition as diabetes. Maybe it's different in England, but in the US if you get an in house lab test for diabetes you will have to have a doctor's prescription.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 06:21 am
Takabe said she had a test about a year ago but the doctor said she shouldnt have another one.
Her problem hasnt been solved.
If the doctor isnt helping then I suggested the hospital as they are better equipt.

Im assuming by doctor she means her GP(general practitioner) who, in the UK are based in a smaller building with less facilities.

I watched a documentary last night on living in America, the guy hurt his wrist, he was treated, he got a bill of nearly $400, $40 of that was a bandage.
0 Replies

Takabe

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 09:43 am
It's weird because I've had symptoms of both hyper and hypoglycemia. I'll eat something and my blood sugar will get real high and stay pretty high for an hour or two, and then go down (but not to hypo levels) and I'll start having to urinate constantly. Is it possible to have symptoms of both? I took 5 Risperdal once (because I'm an idiot) and was rushed to the E.R. because I started feeling extremely dizzy and couldn't breathe. When I got to the hospital I didn't feel too bad, but then I urinated for nearly 10 minutes straight and all of a sudden the I.V. in my arm felt like the worst pain that I've ever experienced and I started feeling restless and whatnot, and had similiar feelings as when I had had low blood sugar symptoms in the past. I've had problems with blurry vision as well, which usually gets worse when I eat something with sugar in it and I've been getting rashes all over my body. I've also had a "tingling" sensation that I've heard could be a symptom of blood sugar too. So.....I'm stumped.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 09:56 am
It's not only possible to have symptoms of both hyper and hypoglycemia, it's not at all unusual. I wouldn't guess what the problem, but that's not unusual.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:01 am
Fill in the blanks here, for some reason (?) you had a GTT a year ago and there was some outcome (?) You have on-going symptoms and have talked to a dr about a repeat GTT and he declined but instead suggested (?) In the meantime you've made (?) changes to your diet to see if your symptoms are controllable by means of a low glycemic index diet plan.

There's no way we can understand your situation without getting the details.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:14 am
roger wrote:
Glucose tolerance and c-peptide sound like overkill, really. You can get a home A1C test kit at Walgreens, and the like. Sometimes they even work. When the work at all, they seem consistant with lab results.

Do you have the option of changing doctors? I'm not questioning the advice, really, but you don't seem comfortable with it, and I'm surprised you mention a glucose tolerance test, and not the a1C.

I am wondering why Takabe either doesn't talk more with the doctor or seek another doctor.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:25 am
I'm making the guess that Takabe is under some medical system with lower costs, but less options than I am used to.
0 Replies