Uh Oh, being prayed for may make you sicker.

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 05:20 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,330 • Replies: 61
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 06:02 am
These prayer cards will now have to carry a disclaimer.
"prayer may not be for you, a number of patients recieving prayer, have experienced several forms of heart attacks and strokes. If you have any of thee potential risks please tell your priest or minister"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 06:05 am
I don't know that there's anything you can do about it, FM, the bible-thumpers is always a preyin' upon the unwary and the ill . . . an' no, i didn't missspell no words in that sentence . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 06:13 am
""A person of faith would say that this study is interesting," Mr. Barth said, "but we've been praying a long time and we've seen prayer work, we know it works, and the research on prayer and spirituality is just getting started.""

Gotta love them people of faith.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 06:20 am
Please do not confuse them with a ten year study of reality at work.

Joe(why do you think they pray with their eyes closed?)Nation
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 06:36 am
Ts,ts, ts! You better should read the more relevant papers!

Quote:
Dr. Harold G. Koenig, director of the Center for Spirituality, Theology and Health at the Duke University Medical Center, who didn't take part in the study, said the results didn't surprise him.

"There are no scientific grounds to expect a result and there are no real theological grounds to expect a result either," he said. "There is no god in either the Christian, Jewish or Moslem scriptures that can be constrained to the point that they can be predicted."

Within the Christian tradition, God would be expected to be concerned with a person's eternal salvation, he said, and "why would God change his plans for a particular person just because they're in a research study?"

Science, he said, "is not designed to study the supernatural."
source: The Conservative Voice, Thursday, March 30, 2006
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 06:45 am
Somebody once did a study on the effects of Campbells chicken Noodle soup to help in easing the symptoms of some disease or syndrome. Now, maybe if we can combine the power of withholding prayer and , instead, substituting unblessed chicken noodle soup...
I smell ig Nobel prize here.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:06 am
So...all these damned praying people at A2k have damaged the troops?

Those bastards!

Do Muslim prayers do as much damage?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:15 am
I suspect it is not the prayer but the knowledge that the are a group of friends and acquaintances who are concerned about us is significant. We ae a social as well as a cultural animal and the knowledge that our social network is aware and concerned about our condition has a definite psychological impact. Anonymous prayer is useless.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:18 am
Still, Acquiunk, I'd have thought that knowing folks are concerned would
have a good effect. Maybe it has a mostly "uh-oh" effect.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:39 am
Prayer seems to be an exercise of begging or thanking. Never complaining or asking questions.
God smites a city and thousands die. The survivors thank God for saving them.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:41 am
Quote:

Once when my father fell ill my sisters called me and told me to fly home immediately. ( I had lived 2000 miles away for several years.) I took the first flight out and my brothers met me at the airport. We went directly to the hospital.

Taking off my coat and hat, I stepped quietly to his bedside. There were the usual blipping monitors and several tubes in arms and elsewhere. He was not asleep, the nurse said, he was just resting. I touched his arm and said:

"Hey, Pop. How are you?"

Slowly he opened his eyes, it took him awhile to focus. He looked at my face.

"Oh, no!" he said, "I must really be sick if they called you to come home."

Joe(He got well, but I scared him by showing up.)Nation
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:44 am
prayer is also a way to NOT have to do anything to help... but yet be able to claim your few seconds of fame as an assistant if something good comes out of a situation..
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 08:50 am
farmerman wrote:
Somebody once did a study on the effects of Campbells chicken Noodle soup to help in easing the symptoms of some disease or syndrome. Now, maybe if we can combine the power of withholding prayer and , instead, substituting unblessed chicken noodle soup...
I smell ig Nobel prize here.

I remember a bit that Alan King used to do. He was talking about chicken soup helping in the relief of colds. The point that he made, that Campbell's Manhandlers did nothing for a person's symptoms. It was your MOTHER's soup, cooked lovingly by her, and handed to you, with a kiss on the forehead, that made the difference.

I do believe, that for people of faith, prayer said at the bedside of the patient, may very well aid in enhancing the immune system, in terms of helping to fight disease. It is not the prayer itself, but the love that comes through to the sick person, that makes a difference.

For people who are not believers, just knowing that people care about you, and are helping you through a crisis, may have the same benefit as prayer to the devout.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 08:56 am
shewolfnm wrote:
prayer is also a way to NOT have to do anything to help... but yet be able to claim your few seconds of fame as an assistant if something good comes out of a situation..

That reminds me of giving investment advice. If it works out, the joker will talk about how saavy he is when investing, and if it doesn't, he'll blame you because he lost money.

The god squad has a slightly different example. If someone sickens and dies, it's 'cause "god" had "called him home." If he gets well, it was due to the efficacy of prayer. There is just no cure for committed self-delusion.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 09:24 am
It's also a very good way to sell totems. Prayer cloths (touched by the Reverend Roberts himself), prayer cards (imitation gold trim- inscribed), ceramic prayer books opened to some nice pithy verse (3 payments of $19.99, buy one get one free), prayer beads(non-corpus) or Rosaries (Christ on the Cross), statuettes of widely varying description ( Saved me a lot of shopping, got my Mom a different Saint every year.) and, last but not least, the now defunct, (I think) but always charming, Dial-A-Prayer where one paid to listen to an advertisement for thirty seconds before hearing a STRICTLY NON-DENOMINATIONAL prayer for one's well-being...... from a machine.

Joe

Hey, when I was typing non-denominational, I kept spelling it Demon Nation al... What does it mean?

joe again
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 09:26 am
You send me a dollar,

I will send you God's autograph.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 09:28 am
ONE OF THE FEW HE SIGNED WITH A BALL POINT PEN...

sorry.

got excited.

J
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 09:31 am
Exactly!

AND
just for you,
I have gel-pen autographs.
But I only have a few of those, as God has become tired after all these years.
So many times he tries to let people see he is here, you know.. with the autographs and everything.. and noone is buying it.

So hurry.. only a few left.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 12:05 pm
And if you don't buy it, if you darest doubt for one minute, if you cast aside the message of love, hope and peace, we'll kill you. AND then You will be cast into the fiery pit where you will burn forever and ever!!!!!!!!!

... why?

because God loves you.

Joe(what a guy)Nation
0 Replies