I Am AirBorne!

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 07:55 am
I am coming down with a cold again. Scratchy, irritated throat, budding cough, muffled head.....**sigh** Stupid thyroid under control and look what happens!

Anyway, I am trying that AirBorne stuff you can buy to help fend off colds. So far, I don't feel worse so I think it might be working. My aunt swears by it and she flys a lot so being trapped in a flying tin can of germs and not getting sick is pretty impressive.

Have you tried this yet? What are you experiences with it? It's quite expensive ($8 for 10 tablets; you take one every 3 hours) but if it works, it is so worth it.

I will update and let you know if this turns into a full blown cold.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 932 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:02 am
we all appreciate you being the guinea pig in this experiment, BD...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:04 am
Isn't that the stuff that causes brain damage and turns otherwise normal people into Republicans?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:07 am
you assume she is otherwise normal gus..
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:08 am
Good point. What was I thinking?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:12 am
What is in it other than zinc <which I think is a great cold preventative, not so much a treatment> ?

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=3945815

Quote:
Does 'Airborne' cold remedy really work? (New York -WABC, February 27, 2006)

Americans catch a billon colds a year and the number one herbal remedy they reach for is "Airborne," but a Good Morning America investigation is raising questions about whether airborne is effective.

Airborne's ads promise to cure a cold in one hour, but even its CEO says the product is not a cold remedy, it just boosts the immune system.
GMA discovered Airborne's scientific studies were inaccurate.

Now Airborne is removing references to those studies from its packaging.

~~~~~~~~

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cold-remedies/ID00036

Quote:
Cold remedies: What works, what doesn't, what can't hurt
It's a given that there's no cure for the common cold. But what about remedies that claim to make you feel better faster? You may be surprised at what does and doesn't pass the effectiveness test.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:16 am
My brother swears by it. He's a 5th grade teacher and used to catch lots of colds.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:00 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Isn't that the stuff that causes brain damage and turns otherwise normal people into Republicans?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, not a REPUBLICAN!!!!!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:03 am
ehBeth wrote:
What is in it other than zinc <which I think is a great cold preventative, not so much a treatment> ?

Not so much zinc (only 55% of the dv) but LOTS of vitamin c. In fact, 1670% of dv, to be exact.

Shocked

Also has 100% of dv for vitamins A and E, 170% dv of riboflaven, 10% dv of magnesium, 20% dv of selenium, 150% dv of maganese, 2% dv of potassium and a bunch of herbal extracts and amino acids (L-Glutamine and L-Lysine)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:12 am
hmmm, that doesn't sound good. i certainly wouldn't take it for more than a few days.

While C is mostly harmless - you really don't need that much of it. there's only certain amount your body can process, the rest you just pee out. I think 500mg a day should be more than plenty. Along with zinc, it should boost up your immunity, and it is certainly cheaper. i'm no expert, but anything that has 2 or 3 items that are way over a daily dose seem unhealthy to me.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:17 am
I thought Airborne (and Vitamin C stuff in general) was supposed to prevent colds, not to cure them?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:19 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I thought Airborne (and Vitamin C stuff in general) was supposed to prevent colds, not to cure them?

That's why you are suppose to take it at the first sign of a cold. It doesn't keep you from getting it, but it helps to keep it minor.

Cold Eeze does the same thing but it's in a sucky thing (I can't think of the word right now....good god I am losing my mind.) and it upsets my stomach.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:19 am
I've been asking about it since it first came out -- most of the responses have been negative.

(I'd LOVE to be able to prevent colds and they have a children's version, too, which was what I was most interested in, for kiddo.)

Found this:

Quote:
Pharmacists Letter "Rumor vs Truth" February 11, 2005

RUMOR: Airborne can help prevent or shorten duration of colds.

TRUTH: Airborne is a dietary supplement used for prevention and treatment of colds and flu. It's the one that was "developed by a school teacher who was sick of catching colds in class." Airborne contains several vitamins, minerals and herbs. The manufacturer suggests taking one tablet every 3 hours at the first sign of a cold.

It is important to note that one tablet contains vitamin C 1,000 mg...vitamin A 5,000 IU...vitamin E 30 IU. These amounts meet or exceed the RDA.

Vitamin C taken prophylactically in doses of at least 1 gram per day seems to reduce the duration of cold symptoms by a half-day. Tell patients the slight reduction in duration of cold symptoms may not be worth large doses of vitamin C on a daily basis.

Vitamin C at doses above 2 grams per day may cause diarrhea and stomach upset. In people with a history of oxalate kidney stones (the most common type), supplemental vitamin C 1 gram per day appears to increase stone risk...possibly an increase of 40%.

Vitamin C is not proven to be helpful in PREVENTING colds.
There isn't any proof that vitamin A is helpful in preventing or treating colds and flu. Large doses of vitamin A can cause nausea, vomiting, headache, vertigo, and blurred vision.
Zinc is also an ingredient in Airborne. A lot of research suggests that zinc lozenges begun within 24 to 48 hours of the onset of cold symptoms can reduce the severity and duration of the cold. But other research shows no effect. Some experts say that flavoring agents, such as the citric acid and mannitol found in Airborne, might chelate zinc, making it inactive. Zinc is not helpful in preventing colds.

Airborne also contains echinacea. Echinacea MIGHT shorten the duration and severity of cold symptoms...but research is conflicting. The active constituent of echinacea is not known so products can't be standardized. Various species and plant parts (flowers, leaves, stems, and roots) have been used in clinical studies. The amount of echinacea in Airborne is unknown.

Other ingredients listed in the product have not been proven to be helpful in treating or preventing the cold.
Tell patients there's no proof that Airborne is helpful in preventing or treating colds.

Advise patients taking multiple daily doses of Airborne about the possibility of excessive vitamins A and C. Remind patients to also add up the amount in any daily multivitamins they might take.

There's also some concern that echinacea might increase levels of drugs metabolized by the CYP3A4 enzyme...macrolides, antifungals, etc. Tell patients on these drugs to avoid Airborne.

Caution patients on warfarin or other antiplatelet drugs that Airborne contains ginger and lonicera which may increase the risk of bleeding.

source
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:21 am
From what I saw, it was like 50/50. Half of the people swore it worked. The others said it did nothing.

Maybe it's mind over matter....the whole thing might be psychological. We think that it's working and so we make it work. The mind is a very powerful tool.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:23 am
More direct link, with references.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:24 am
Definitely on the mind being a powerful tool!
0 Replies