73 years ago: Dachau first German concentration camp

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 04:17 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

Nice views from the windows though....you can see Air Berlin flight AB8531 landing at Paderborn

http://i1.tinypic.com/rwj4gh.jpg

:wink:
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 05:40 pm
I saw a TV show recently about a horrific and well hidden concentration camp that virtually received no publicity at all until very recently. It had a walk of death or some such?

From the time of the trains entering the camp to the time of death was but a matter of hours.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 06:06 pm
All those who are tired of hearing about the Holocaust should see this film. It is a bone chilling word for word account of the meeting that decided the death of millions of Jews. This group of civilized gentlemen in smart uniforms were actually the worst monsters in recent history.
The Wannsee Conference (German Movie 1987)
The horror of the holocaust began on January 20, 1942, when key representatives of the SS, the Nazi Party, and the government bureaucracy met secretly at a house in Wannsee. A quiet Berlin suburb, to discuss "The Final Solution." While they enjoyed a buffet lunch, brandy, and cigarettes, they discussed how they could systematically exterminate eleven million Jewish people. Director Heinz Schirk and writer Paul Mommertz use actual notes from the Wannsee Conference, along with letters written by Hermann Goering and Adolf Eichmann, and testimony by Eichmann at his 1961 trial in Israel, to re-create the shocking events of the fateful 85-minute meeting. Viewers become stunned witnesses to the cold-blooded, matter-of-fact manner in which the most hideous crime in history was set in motion.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/6302919789/103-6081475-9298234?v=glance&n=404272

http://www.writing.upenn.edu/~afilreis/Holocaust/wansee-transcript.html
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 06:11 pm
I saw it!

What separates the Holocaust from other related endeavors is the ruthless, modernistic efficiency, speed and scope of the entire process.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 06:23 pm
That is what happens when some people start to believe that they are better than all others.

Those who think they are a 'super race' always go down in history as 'the scum of the earth'.

It took a deranged populist twelve years to defile the good name of the German people.

His 'thousand-year-reich' lasted only a dozen and left 50 million corpses strewn all over Europe.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:06 pm
Lash wrote:
detano inipo wrote:
If all offensive pictures would be banned, the people who commit atrocities would rejoice.

Yes....the only reason I wouldn't suggest they not be shown.

xingu-- Murder is horrible. The attempt to wipe out a race of people, and the significant progress toward that goal, with tacit approval of a large segment of society is more gruesome, not because of a difference in the value of the lives--but the number of lives, the overall intent, and the level of success.

Walter-- Is there ANY reason you thought thisa was necessary?

Quote:
This, Lash, is the start of what became later known as Holocaust.

Walter--

I was asking if you possibly imagined your quote above was necessary. Surely you were aware I knew what the pictures were. I wasn't suggesting you had an ulterior motive in posting it.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:11 pm
I for one very much appreciate Walter's thoughtful posts.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:26 pm
Good.

This, Chumly, is the start of what later became known as the Holocaust.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:34 pm
I'm Jewish and my wife's Polish. Quite the combined history.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:42 pm
You likely didn't need that post of mine anymore than I did when Walter posted the same thing to me, then, eh?

That was what I had reference to. I just thought it was sort of crazy he felt the need to post it, that's all.

Your history and your wife's are fascinating histories, Chumly, and they are very close to my heart.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 09:37 pm
A combined heritage of great struggle and pride?

I am not religious but there is still a part of me that turns to this heritage in a manner that to me is beyond description. Some sort of common bond?

You have such a thing?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:46 pm
Yes.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 11:09 pm
Confused i still don't get what was so offensive. Not everybody knows that the first concentration camps were built in 1933 and vast majority of people would not think that Holocaust's roots went that far.... I find it to be quite a useful reminder.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 11:21 pm
I find towelhead to be a very useful strike against submission to external pressure on free speech.

People are offended by different things.

Those pictures offend me. Those people were murdered because of irrational hatred, which still thrives today. At that point, the machine of murder was acceptable to the world. It is an abomination to me.

People expect me to bend to their feelings about a word--but they question MY feelings about innocent people who were tortured and incinerated.

Different strokes...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 11:24 pm
Lash, people are trying to tell us it never happened! Doesn't it seem a good idea to keep the images in our minds so we never forget?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 11:24 pm
Huh? Well it is good that you are offended then, I guess. Those pictures should be offending...though I think I understand the term 'offensive' differently, but I assume that may just be language thing. And they should be shown again and again and again, so that we never forget. <shrug>
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 11:26 pm
I didn't say the pictures shouldn't be shown.

I made the statement that they are offensive.

Do you think I shouldn't have said it?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Walter, I've just "discovered" this thread, and am now only on the third page, but I am thankful to you for showing us some of the history of Dachau, and the Nazis in Germany. I'm also confused how anybody can be offended by your research and postings on a2k which I find as an educational media. Please continue sharing your knowledge of what you find. This particular subject is of interest to me, because I have learned that the 442d Infantry, the Japanese Americans who fought in Europe, were the first to arrive at Dachau to set the prisoners free.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

nobody said that. I just didn't understand why or what you found offensive.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 11:27 pm
Lash wrote:
I didn't say the pictures shouldn't be shown.

I made the statement that they are offensive.

Do you think I shouldn't have said it?

I dunno, free speech and all.
0 Replies