would you want to know?

Misti26

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:21 pm
I think if NASA knew there had been damage to the wing, then they would have taken precautions and possibly had the shuttle meet up with the Space Station and camp there until it could be resolved.

Will we ever know? I doubt it!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:25 pm
Ditto - I was FURIOUS as a child when my mother was dying and nobody told her. I kept almost doing it - but i was scared because I wasn't an adult - it was agonising - i KNEW what they were doing was wrong and patronising - and cowardly.

I was also furious after my sister died that we were not told - because I realized she KNEW she was dying - kids do - and was robbed of being able to share it with me and my parents - I knew too, in a funny way

I think it is contemptuous not to be honest with people about their lives

I know you do not mean it this way, rae - but in the best way - but, as you can see, I feel passionately about this - with a fair bit of experience

I may well be wrong though!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:42 pm
You are absolutely not wrong, Deb!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:55 pm
I would be wrong for some people

this is the thinh about living beings - there are no rules
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 10:01 pm
If the scenario is telling them they were certainly going to die minutes or seconds before they die, and there was no way to change what was coming, there's no way I'd tell those people that.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 10:02 pm
... and if I was one of them, I wouldn't want to know.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 10:08 pm
To know or not know whould not change the outcome so I choose knowing.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 10:09 pm
That's how I feel, snood. Thanks.

And Deb ~ many, many, many hugs to you, my friend.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 10:22 pm
see? add people to the equation - and out go rules!
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 10:23 pm
Yes I would want to know . Am reminded of the ending of this poem:

http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/457.html
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 10:31 pm
By the way, I've said this before, but I have wondered often if this is what in fact happened. If NASA knew there was a problem, knew there was nothing to be done about it, and decided there was no good to be gained from telling anyone.

Deb, I knew you were a tough cookie but I didn't know you'd had to deal with that much in your life (and that's just what was let drop in a few sentences). I also have personal experience (though with extended, not immediate, family) with the idiocy of trying to keep these things secret, and the toll taken in the attempt.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 3 May, 2003 12:02 am
My answer would vary greatly depending on the amounts of time involved. We know 5 minutes, 20 minutes, 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week ahead of time that someone else is going to die and there is nothing they can do about it. They will not be able to touch their loved ones again, but may be able to speak to them. 5 minutes, 20 minutes - I'm not going to tell, or don't think I would. 1 day, 1 week - I'd tell, or want to. In between I don't know, and I'm honestly not sure what i'd do. Other than struggle with the information and wonder if it would be of benefit to anyone.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 3 May, 2003 12:19 am
I personally wouldn't want to know.
0 Replies