would you want to know?

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 01:26 pm
Quote:
US space agency (Nasa) officials say there was probably nothing that could have been done to save the crew of Columbia, even if mission control had fully realised the jeopardy the astronauts were in.

ok so you are among the crew and NASA observes the conditions prior to re-entry, would you want to know?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,315 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 01:27 pm
Yes, might as well have sex in space.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 01:35 pm
Looks like a Marcel Duchamp inspired art on your avatar, Crave.

That they would know on the ground before the astronauts would know there is something wrong from computer oversight indicators is not likely but since they'd only have a few minutes for an orgy, only the men could handle that!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 06:48 pm
Actually Monger inspired it.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 06:49 pm
No, I wouldn't want to know.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 07:21 pm
ok now put yourself in a seat in Houston or Cape Kennedy in radio contact with the shuttle and you know their fate. How would you cope with that knowledge?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 07:25 pm
I would take it to my grave, dys.

I'm hopeful that the families of astronauts prepare emotionally for what could happen.

Yep. I'd take the knowledge to my grave.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 07:31 pm
I am almost a Buddhist sometimes - and I have always instinctively felt, from a child, that I would like to be aware of my dying (wussing out as it gets closer, though) - I would like to know.

You could, at the very least, say goodbye to loved ones and sort out any crap and such. Would make it easier for them, in the long run.

Look at the way some of the folks on the hi-jacked flights on 11th September managed to work things out with people on the phone.

Mobile phones make life weird, but we sure are finding out lots about how people deal with sudden death.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 07:34 pm
How would I copw with that knowledge? Do you mean would I tell them? Yes.

Do you mean how would I cope? Same way, I guess, I cope with anyone I am close to who is dying. Sadly, but with awareness that I will be following soon or in a bit, that it is natural, that people in dangerous occupations live more intensely, maybe - but that we all should, because death is always there.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 07:39 pm
Actually, I feel much less fussed about people like astronauts dying (I felt the fuss in the USA was understandable, but rationally ridiculous) in space than I do about the smegger who was killed in front of me the other day.

If you choose a dangerous occupation you choose, and presumably embrace, risk - you are doing something you love, in the awareness of what may happen any moment. If it happens, c'est la vie.

Many of us die in terrible pain and protest, unprepared and unconfronting of reality - I would rather go in mindfulness having thought it through a bit - not smashed by an idiot in a car at random.

I presume the astronauts have a think about stuff before they take off and re-enter?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 07:41 pm
The saying 'live today as if it were your last' is what comes to my mind.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 07:49 pm
Well, Hell yes, because it was re-entry that killed them. If the guy at NASA who suspected a problem AND MEMO-ED about it had been heeded, we could've let them float around up there, while we figured out a way to go get them.

If they knew about it pre-re-entry.

If they knew about it during re-entry, and the thing was absolutely past the point of no return-- I'd tell my Supervisor discreetly, but would suggest strongly that he not ruin their final seconds with that kind of info.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 07:53 pm
Hey Sofia ~ forgiveness if I read the question wrong.

I agree ~ if I had known pre-re-entry, then yeah, let'em hang out up there until we could figure out how to get them home safely.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:03 pm
Uh-oh. My 'well Hell yes' wasn't directed at you. It was a direct response to the question, which I may have misread... I thought he said pre-re-entry.

If you are ever under the impression I have intended a non-nice remark to you-- this is my blanket disclaimer.

I shall never under any circumstances say anything un-nice to Rae. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Sorry if I was offensive. Twas not intended. Cool
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:07 pm
Didn't think you were being offensive at all, Love. Not at all. And, thank you.....you're a sweetie.....xoxox

You actually shed light on a different view of the question for me.

If there was no chance at all for their safe return, then I'd keep my mouth shut.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:44 pm
why, rae?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:52 pm
I would never trust anyone else to determine for me that I have no chances to survive.

I would HAVE to know. And I would tell too.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:03 pm
Why? Again, I would hope that the families of the astronauts are emotionally prepared for anything that could happen.

Would also hope that they've said whatever it is they needed to say to each other.

If I knew, without a doubt, that there was time for all of the astronauts to speak with everyone they wanted to speak with, then I might change my mind.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:11 pm
I'd want to know because I don't trust other people to know what's best for me. Especially in life or death situations.

I'd tell because I do not think I know what's best for them either.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:17 pm
It's a matter of judgment. And I'm coloring my answer with my own emotions......If it were me, up there in space, without a chance of returning, I would not want to know.
0 Replies