RexRed

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 03:14 pm
Isn't science a wonderful thing?

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/cas/images/me48g.jpg

http://www.zap16.com/images/f-18.h1.gif
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 03:50 pm
Science, of course, derives from the Latin for knowledge, and simply refers to the method for learning the reality of the cosmos we inhabit.

I am never surprised, however, to see religious nutcases who rant against knowledge--it is inimical to the preservation of religious fantasies.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 05:21 pm
RexRed,

Presumably you will now be dumping your PC and/or any other "scientific benefits" that derive from weapons research or the pursuit of war!
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 05:44 pm
this is for Rex. by posting here i'm breaking a rule i set for myself sometime back. i hope no one minds this one transgression.

http://helios.bto.ed.ac.uk/bto/microbes/struct.jpg
0 Replies

dalahow2

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 04:33 pm
Re: WHY ISLAM IS BECOMING THE FASTEST GROWING RELIGION..Seri
dalahow2 wrote:
ISLAM GROWING RAPIDLY

WHO IS SAYING ISLAM IS RAPIDLY GROWING IN THE WORLD..

Quote:
"Islam is the fastest-growing religion in America, a guide and pillar of stability for many of our people..."
HILLARY RODMAN CLINTON, Los Angeles Times, May 31, 1996, p.3

Quote:
Already more than a billion-people strong, Islam is the world's fastest-growing religion. ABCNEWS, Abcnews.com

Quote:
"Islam is the fastest-growing religion in the country." NEWSDAY, March 7, 1989, p.4

Quote:
"Islam is the fastest-growing religion in the United States..." NEW YORK TIMES, Feb 21, 1989, p.1

Quote:
"Moslems are the world's fastest-growing group..." USA TODAY, The populationreferance bureau, Feb. 17,
1989, p.4A

Quote:
"Muhummed is the most successful of all Prophets and religious personalities. " Encyclopedia Britannica

Quote:
"There are more Muslims in North America then Jews Now." Dan Rathers, CBSNEWS

Quote:
"Islam is the fastest growing religion in North America." TIMES MAGAZINE

Quote:
"Islam continues to grow in America, and no one can doubt that!" CNN, December 15, 1995

Quote:
"The religion of Islam is growing faster than any other religion in the world." MIKE WALLACE, 60 MINUTES

Quote:
"Five to 6 million strong, Muslims in America already outnumber Presbyterians, Episcopalians, and Mormons, and they are more numerous than Quakers, Unitarians, Seventh-day Adventists, Mennonites, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Christian Scientists, combined. Many demographers say Islam has overtaken Judaism as the country's second-most commonly practiced religion; others say it is in the passing lane." JOHAN BLANK, USNEWS (7/20/98)

Quote:
"In fact, religion experts say Islam is the second-largest religion in the United States... Islam has 5 million to 6 million members, followed by Judaism, with approximately 4.5 million..... And Islam is believed to be fastest-growing religion in the country, with half its expansion coming from new immigrants and the other half from conversions." By ELSA C. ARNETT Knight-Ridder News Service

WHAT SCIENTISTS ARE ALSO SAYING

Quote:
Professor Keith Moore, one of the world's prominent scientists of anatomy and embryology. University of Toronto, Canada "It has been a great pleasure for me to help clarify statements in the Qur'aan about human development. It is clear to me that these statements must have come to Muhammad from Allah, or Allah, because almost all of this knowledge was not discovered until many centuries later. This proves to me that Muhammad must have been a messenger of Allah."

Quote:
"But Islam has a still further service to render to the cause of humanity. It stands after all nearer to the real East than Europe does, and it possesses a magnificent tradition of inter-racial understanding and cooperation. No other society has such a record of success uniting in an equality of status, of opportunity, and of endeavours so many and so various races of mankind . . . Islam has still the power to reconcile apparently irreconcilable elements of race and tradition. If ever the opposition of the great societies of East and West is to be replaced by cooperation, the mediation of Islam is an indispensable condition. In its hands lies very largely the solution of the problem with which Europe is faced in its relation with East. If they unite, the hope of a peaceful issue is immeasurably enhanced. But if Europe, by rejecting the cooperation of Islam, throws it into the arms of its rivals, the issue can only be disastrous for both." --H.A.R. Gibb, WHITHER ISLAM, London, 1932, p. 379.

Quote:
"It (Islam) replaced monkishness by manliness. It gives hope to the slave, brotherhood to mankind, and recognition of the fundamental facts of human nature." --Canon Taylor, Paper read before the Church Congress at Walverhamton, Oct. 7, 1887; Quoted by Arnoud in THE PREACHING OF ISLAM, pp. 71-72.

Quote:
"The founder of twenty terrestrial empires and of one spiritual empire, that is Muhammed. As regards all standards by which human greatness may be measured, we may well ask, is there any man greater than he? " Lamartine, Historie de la Turquie, Paris 1854, Vol. 11 pp. 276-2727

Quote:
"If a man like Muhamed were to assume the dictatorship of the modern world, he would succeed in solving its problems that would bring it the much needed peace and happiness." George Bernard Shaw

Quote:
"How, for instance, can any other appeal stand against that of the Moslem who, in approaching the pagan, says to him, however obscure or degraded he may be 'Embrace the faith, and you are at once equal and a brother.' Islam knows no color line." (S. S. Leeder, VEILED MYSTERIES OF EGYPT)

Quote:
Professor Siaveda , He is also one of the most famous scientists in the world. "I think it seems to me very, very mysterious, almost unbelievable. I really think if what you have said is true, "

Quote:
Professor William W. Hay is one of the best known marine scientists in the United States. satellite photography and emote-sensing techniques. Professor Hay replied: I find it very interesting that this sort of information is in the ancient scripture of the Holy Qur'aan, and I have no way of knowing where they would come from, but I think it is extremely interesting that they are there and that this work is going on to discover it, the meaning of some of the passages. Professor Hay: Well, I would think it must be the divine being!

Quote:
Professor Yushudi Kusan: Director of the Tokyo Observatory, "I can say, I am very mush impressed by finding true astronomical facts in the Qur'aan."

Quote:
Professor Alfred Kroner who is one of the world's most famous geologists "Thinking about many of these questions and thinking where Muhammad came from, he was after all a bedouin. I think it is almost impossible that he could have known about things like the common origin of the universe, because scientists have only found out within the last few years with very complicated and advanced technological methods that this is the case."

Quote:
Dr. T.V.N. Persaud is a Professor of Anatomy and Head of the Department of Anatomy, and a professor of Pediatrics and Child Health, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. He is the author or editor of 25 books, and has published over 181 scientific papers. In 1991, he received the most distinguished award presented in the field of anatomy in Canada. "It seems to me that Muhammad was a very ordinary man. He could not read or write. In fact, he was illiterate. We are talking about 1400 years ago. You have someone who was illiterate making profound pronouncement and statements and are amazingly accurate about scientific nature. I personally cannot see how this could be mere chance. There are too many accuracy's and, like Dr. Moore, I have no difficulty in my mind in concerning that this is a divine inspiration or revelation which led him to these statements."

Quote:
Joe Leigh Simpson, Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the North Western University in Chicago in the United States of America. Professor Simpson said: It follows, I think, that not only is there no conflict between genetics and religion, but in fact religion can guide science by adding revelation to some traditional scientific approaches. That there exists statements in the Qur'aan shown by science to be valid, which supports knowledge in the Qur'aan having been derived from Allah.

Quote:
Professor Palmer a scientist from the U.S. "We need research into the history of early Middle Eastern oral traditions to know whether in fact such historical events have been reported. If there is no such record, it strengthens the belief that Allah transmitted through Muhammad bits of his knowledge that we have only discovered for ourselves in recent times. We look forward to a continuing dialogue on the topic of science in the Qur'aan in the context of geology. Thank you very much."

Quote:

Quote:
Professor Armstrong, Scientist works at NASA, "I am impressed that how remarkably some of the ancient writings seem to correspond to modern and recent Astronomy. There may well have to be something beyond what we understand as ordinary human experience to account for the writings that we have seen."

Quote:
Professor Dorja Rao, "It is difficult to imagine that this type of knowledge was existing at that time, around 1400 years back. May be some of the things they have simple idea about, but do describe those things in great detail is very difficult. So, this is definitely not a simple human knowledge."
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 04:55 pm
So what? AIDS is the planet's most vigorously expanding disease.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 10:20 pm
timberlandko wrote:
So what? AIDS is the planet's most vigorously expanding disease.

Spirituality is a search for wholeness and healing not disease.

Disease spreads through "misinformation" (fed to the cell), ignorance and refusal to accept the truth of the spirit.

There is spiritual information and spiritual misinformation. To lump all spiritual learning into the category of misinformation is both presumptuous and oblivious to the most basic constituents of spiritual learning. It is misinformation that is fed into a cell that causes disease... And it is truth that is fed into a cell that leads to healing...

To make the chess knight jump in logic that because there is disease therefore spirituality is a disease is to overlook the knowledge that there is a stream of "immunity" (from the brain) that is often maintained to protect healthy cells. Just as there is a stream of spiritual truth that is fed from God to train a healthy mind. Smile
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 10:34 pm
You miss the point Rex ... comparison ad absurdam, not comparison ad exemplum.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 12:00 am
Quote:
There is spiritual information and spiritual misinformation. To lump all spiritual learning into the category of misinformation is both presumptuous and oblivious to the most basic constituents of spiritual learning. It is misinformation that is fed into a cell that causes disease... And it is truth that is fed into a cell that leads to healing...

Sorry Rex you don't understand the word "information"!

"Information" is is defined as "that which informs choice between alternatives". You therefore imply that a cell has "choice" when it is attacked by a virus! Indeed this paragraph merely serves to underscore Dawkin's description of religion as a "cognitive virus" since the victim of such a "disease" (due to his genetic propensity to tribalism and/or his social conditioning) has no "choice" !

Nor do you discriminate between "spirituality" and "organised religions" such as Islam. Whereas there may be an intellectual case for "spirituality", particular religions constitute little more than ephemeral fashion, provided "ephemeral" is loosely interpreted.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 12:54 pm
fresco wrote:
Quote:

Sorry Rex you don't understand the word "information"!

"Information" is is defined as "that which informs choice between alternatives". You therefore imply that a cell has "choice" when it is attacked by a virus! Indeed this paragraph merely serves to underscore Dawkin's description of religion as a "cognitive virus" since the victim of such a "disease" (due to his genetic propensity to tribalism and/or his social conditioning) has no "choice" !

Nor do you discriminate between "spirituality" and "organised religions" such as Islam. Whereas there may be an intellectual case for "spirituality", particular religions constitute little more than ephemeral fashion, provided "ephemeral" is loosely interpreted.

It is interesting you bring this up.

According to the Bible, God never possesses...

God "always" allows this freedom of "choice". Yet scripturally the adversary actually does possess, therefore taking the will of the cell/mind over...
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 01:14 pm
Rex,

Are you asserting that a "cell" has "choice" ?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 12:01 am
fresco wrote:
Rex,

Are you asserting that a "cell" has "choice" ?

The cell has immunity which is only a term to describe that the cell only discriminately lets information in...

Bad information has to trick the cell into believing it...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 12:10 am
Just as the brain is in charge of every cell in the body so God is Lord of every human on the earth...

God parallels the human mind/body and this is just another example of intelligent design...

The human body is yet another example teaching of God's divine presence at work in the physical world.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 12:13 am
What rot!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 12:23 am
RexRed wrote:

And religion tricks the undiscerning brain into accepting its mind-numbing tripe, just as a virus tricks the unsuspecting cell into accepting its utimately lethal cargo of disruptive DNA.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 01:07 am
Rex,

To be fair with your concept, there IS room for "spirituality" in current models for "life" (e.g. Capra) in terms of nested organizational structures(cell,organ,body,society,ecosystem,planet....). However such a "systems approach" is antithetical to an anthropomorphic deity. The term "spirituality" applies here to the mental state associated with consideration of the status of "the self" within such organizational hierarchy, but implies no "ultimate controller" or "designer" because the occurence of "dissipative structures" has been shown to be random and spontaneous (Prigogine).
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:16 am
timberlandko wrote:
RexRed wrote:

And religion tricks the undiscerning brain into accepting its mind-numbing tripe, just as a virus tricks the unsuspecting cell into accepting its utimately lethal cargo of disruptive DNA.

Exactly my point timber, but I do draw a distinction between truth and religion... but well phrased.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:18 am
fresco wrote:
Rex,

To be fair with your concept, there IS room for "spirituality" in current models for "life" (e.g. Capra) in terms of nested organizational structures(cell,organ,body,society,ecosystem,planet....). However such a "systems approach" is antithetical to an anthropomorphic deity. The term "spirituality" applies here to the mental state associated with consideration of the status of "the self" within such organizational hierarchy, but implies no "ultimate controller" or "designer" because the occurence of "dissipative structures" has been shown to be random and spontaneous (Prigogine).

If the end result of this randomness is intelligence could we really term this intelligence a product of randomness or more an ultimate intent and tendency toward intelligence...
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:54 am
The problem with this is the word "intent". Capra terms all life "intelligent" because it is "self-organizing" or self regulatory. But "intent" implies "designed" like the governor on a steam engine. But we do not need to evoke "conscious intent" to explain this...this may be a tautological property of any "persisting" dynamic structure. Persistence lies in the eye of the beholder and the beholder sometimes anthropomorphically projects "intent" to account for that persistence. Furthermore, the concept of "self sustaining" is not confined to complex dissipative structures as found in "life". All chemistry students come across Le Chatelier's Principle which states: "if a system in equilibrium is disturbed by changes in determining factors, such as temperature, pressure, and concentration of components, the system will tend to shift its equilibrium position so as to counteract the effect of the disturbance".
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 11:41 am
So would you call the devil in the garden of Eden interference? An equilibrium only reveals that our universe is built upon opposing forces.
0 Replies