Sheep - a poem in one sentence

aidan

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 02:59 pm
What? Why are you suddenly so interested?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 03:08 pm
Oh and now I am suddenly so interested and earlier on your telling me you have already told me. It was purely a civil question of interest which you have avoided like a contagious disease.

There are no rules that say you have to tell me anything, simply tell me you don't want to divulge or mind my own business and that is fine by me.

However, when you accuse me of double dealing and blatantly avoid the subjects, I must say it gives me extremely strong cause for concern.

What are you afraid of Aidan?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 03:20 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing What am I afraid of? Nothing. I'm just wondering what is with you all of the sudden.

I work with kids who have issues Mathos. One of the conditions of my job is that I keep their issues extremely confidential. I know you can appreciate that, you being a parent yourself.

So, in a nutshell, I work with children who have a normal or above IQ who, for whatever reason- emotional issues, processing disorders or other learning disabilities- are not performing academically to the standard that their measured ability would indicate that they should be.

I act as a liason with their parents and teachers to modify lessons and tests in an effort to enhance their learning and achievement. I have done and feel comfortable doing this in English, History and some areas of Maths - (geometry and algebra - but not calculus for instance). I pretty much steer away from most of the sciences because I feel that is one of my own areas of academic weakness.

I am certified to work with any age group from preschool through highschool. I have to say I enjoy the older children more in this job. The work they do is more stimulating and I enjoy their ability to have interesting conversations.

Satisfied?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 03:26 pm
You have simply answered a question Aidan, you don't even qualify for a CDM on that one.

I can now say I admire such work, especially if you are devoted to it.

As for being satisfied Young Lady, it takes a great deal of tender loving care to satisfy me. :wink:
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:37 am
Quote:
As for being satisfied Young Lady, it takes a great deal of tender loving care to satisfy me. :wink:
Sounds like a job for your wife :wink:
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 11:31 am
It is and she does a fantastic job. :wink:

You are aware I suppose that one of the cruelest parts about the child scenario is for those who are born into families who really don't know.

When the kids act up they end up getting knocked about. This does a tremendous amount of damage.

Also, I have been in on debate were the concern is quite strong that there is a genetic connection to the same, would you agree?

Must tell you this one:- We had a young fellow, brilliant at boxing and worked so hard in the training and keeping fit aspect it was unbelievable.
I am not qualified at all by the way, I only assist the qualified, but I did learn a tremendous amount during the years I gave assistance. The senior and qualified informed me that I was, in their opinion overdoing the training aspect with him, (I disagreed) and requested (ordered really) that I cut down on the training with him.

He was ten years of age just a month short of his 11th birthday. He would be able to enter contests at 11 years. I told him that I had to reduce his training down to two sessions a week. This really sent him on one. Look Johnny (not his real name) I said, it's only for a few months, once you are able to enter contests we can get back to normal.

He turned round, bag gloves still on his hands, squared up to me and said, "Do you want a fight mate?"

He actually became a schoolboy champion two years on the run.

Two years ago I got him employment with a large private firm, he has since passed his driving test and is doing fantastic, made a brilliant young man.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:45 pm
Quote:
You are aware I suppose that one of the cruelest parts about the child scenario is for those who are born into families who really don't know.
Don't know what?

Quote:
When the kids act up they end up getting knocked about. This does a tremendous amount of damage.
I can imagine it would.

Quote:
Also, I have been in on debate were the concern is quite strong that there is a genetic connection to the same, would you agree?

Genetic connection to what? The tendancy to be abusive? I'd say it's more a matter of nurture. If a child grows up seeing his or her parents reacting physically abusive in response to frustration, they might deduce that this is the way one is supposed to respond to frustration and follow suit. But there are almost just as many who witness abuse and vow never to resort to it and don't, just because they are so aware of the damage it causes.

It would be interesting to know if a bad temper in general is genetic though. I guess that would be considered part of a person's temperament. Some of that is innate and some is learned
Quote:

Must tell you this one:- We had a young fellow, brilliant at boxing and worked so hard in the training and keeping fit aspect it was unbelievable.
I am not qualified at all by the way, I only assist the qualified, but I did learn a tremendous amount during the years I gave assistance. The senior and qualified informed me that I was, in their opinion overdoing the training aspect with him, (I disagreed) and requested (ordered really) that I cut down on the training with him.

He was ten years of age just a month short of his 11th birthday. He would be able to enter contests at 11 years. I told him that I had to reduce his training down to two sessions a week. This really sent him on one. Look Johnny (not his real name) I said, it's only for a few months, once you are able to enter contests we can get back to normal.

He turned round, bag gloves still on his hands, squared up to me and said, "Do you want a fight mate?"

He actually became a schoolboy champion two years on the run.

Two years ago I got him employment with a large private firm, he has since passed his driving test and is doing fantastic, made a brilliant young man.

What a wonderful story Mathos. I hope you're still involved in that kind of work. There are so many young boys and men living without a father or any male role model in their lives.

That's another reason why Spendius teaching would be great. There are a preponderance of females in the profession, when in today's world, what is really needed is more men as teachers providing these boys with mentoring, friendship - etc.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:23 pm
The type of people who have children and yet do not understand their responsibilities, as parents. Nor do they value the problems their children may have.

Genetic in violence, we have been involved with boy's who for instance have been discarded at birth and been lucky enough to be adopted into homes of professional people who have raised them well. I have been involved when they turn, and turn they do. A young lad fifteen or sixteen years of age, well developed and strong, turning on adopted parents who don't argue with each other is quite a shock to put it mildly. I have seen the damage they have done to beautiful homes as well as the parents. That is rather leaving it a little too late for us to do a lot with them. However, I can honestly say only one such boy has let me down and that was a great pity.

There are many who suffered from a violent father, and as you say they realise the damage their modes can create and become good parents and decent citizens themselves.

Part of the work I was involved with meant taking a large number of boys on holiday for a week each year. There was a wonderful place in North Wales. Swimming, nature trails, (some of them have never seen a rabbit or a sheep) football, cricket and arrange a couple of days boxing tournament with the local ABA clubs. I could in all honesty give you names of some lads who have become household names since then. It is a great feeling whenever I see them on television or in the newspapers.

There is a very special relationship built up with them over the years, road running (me on a bicycle ) up hill and down dale, shadow boxing every other telegraph pole, swimming in lakes. They never forget it.

I've seen the other side too, when they start to slip (it's natural for a mature lad) start drinking, girl friends, silly mates who like to hang about with a boxer and get him in fights. Then the phone rings at one or two o'clock on a Saturday or Sunday morning and they are in custody or in hospital having been knifed.

If Spendius needs employment, I could get him fixed up as a punch bag. :wink:
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:23 pm
Tell him it would be voluntary work though, no pay!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 12:57 am
Quote:
The type of people who have children and yet do not understand their responsibilities, as parents. Nor do they value the problems their children may have.
Right. It seems that on one hand you have the parents who see and invent problems when in reality what's happening is only normal but maybe disappointing (to them) childhood behavior, and then on the other hand parents who seem too busy to or uninterested in providing the minimum amount of care a child needs, and so turn a blind eye.

Parenthood is overwhelming though. I remember when I had my son, I was so enamored of him, and so excited and nervous about the whole thing and my mother (who raised six kids) had watched me hovering and worrying about every little sniffle and sneeze (babies have a lot of mucous to get out of their system - and I became convinced my son had cystic fibrosis). I called her up at six in the morning one day, crying and she said, "Rebecca - listen to me - you're a good mother. You'll never be neglectful. But if you don't relax you'll drive yourself and that baby crazy. Just relax and enjoy him." That was the best advice about parenting anyone ever gave me.

Quote:
Genetic in violence, we have been involved with boy's who for instance have been discarded at birth and been lucky enough to be adopted into homes of professional people who have raised them well. I have been involved when they turn, and turn they do. A young lad fifteen or sixteen years of age, well developed and strong, turning on adopted parents who don't argue with each other is quite a shock to put it mildly. I have seen the damage they have done to beautiful homes as well as the parents. That is rather leaving it a little too late for us to do a lot with them. However, I can honestly say only one such boy has let me down and that was a great pity.

Children who are adopted do tend to have more issues. Separation from their biological mother has been called "the primal wound". It is something that needs to be taken seriously and ministered to over the lifetime of that person. Adoptive parents who don't understand this, will be shocked and surprised at the issues that arise later despite all of their loving and nurturing and good intentions.
BUT- the implications of this can be lessened if the child has made an attachment during the first six months with a caregiver (who can be anyone) who is a constant in his or her life and appropriately attached to the child him or herself. This initial attachment is what is most important and allows the child to be able to attach to someone else in the future.
Children who are adopted are more suscebtible to depression and emotional upheaval, but have not been found to be inherently more violent. In fact, all of the school shooters have been biologicals and the huge majority of children who kill their parents are biologicals and were not adopted.

There have been some studies about genetics and violent tendencies. But alot of them have been questioned lately - even the whole XYY syndrome that was supposed to predispose males to violence and was pretty much taken as gospel ten years ago is being called into question now.

Genetics is such a crap shoot. And most mental or emotional pathologies that arise later in a child's life have an environmental component as well. For example there have been studies on identical twins in which one develops a mental illness and the other doesn't, although genetically they're identical. The accepted theory is that along with a genetic predisposition, there also has to be some insult - a head injury, abuse or neglect, even exposure to a virus- to trigger the resultant disease. Genetics alone (as is the case with a suscebtibility to cancer) is often not enough. There has to be a triggering agent present.

Anyway - what family on this earth doesn't have some genetic time bomb waiting to go off in some child they produce? Having a child biologically is not any more of a guarantee of anything than adoption. If people want to be sure of anything and in control of their lives - they shouldn't have children at all, because it's the ultimate leap of faith and fraught with all kinds of uncertainties and anxieties.
Quote:

Part of the work I was involved with meant taking a large number of boys on holiday for a week each year. There was a wonderful place in North Wales. Swimming, nature trails, (some of them have never seen a rabbit or a sheep) football, cricket and arrange a couple of days boxing tournament with the local ABA clubs. I could in all honesty give you names of some lads who have become household names since then. It is a great feeling whenever I see them on television or in the newspapers.

There is a very special relationship built up with them over the years, road running (me on a bicycle ) up hill and down dale, shadow boxing every other telegraph pole, swimming in lakes. They never forget it.

Sounds fun - I know what you mean. There's nothing like it.

Quote:
If Spendius needs employment, I could get him fixed up as a punch bag. :wink:

Who says he needs employment? He just asked who could save these kids from control freaks- and I think someone like him would be a big asset to the cause. Whether he chose to do it as a career (there are a lot of people who switch to teaching through lateral entry - they have skills and experience in another job which they then apply and teach in the classroom) or as a past time - I think he'd have a lot to offer kids like the ones I see everyday.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 03:43 pm
Aidan,

Can you explain why you are still doing all of those 'silly quotes'?

My earlier assessment was correct, you should be sat on a bench, relating everything you know to anyone sitting down by you.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to change your name to Nellie Gump?

You can go into personal settings and do it now, it would only take you a moment or two.

Your reply was excellent apart from all of the quotes, which I have already made myself familiar with, I wrote them.

He would have nothing but digested bullshit to offer the kids.
You wouldn't expect a cripple to teach the kids would you?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 04:55 pm
You just happened to talk about some things I'm particularly interested in in your last post Mathos, and I do the quotes because it helps me focus my response. It's a compliment to you. It means that you've said something I'm particularly interested in and want to address.
And I like writing those little essays, and thinking about stuff and remembering things I haven't thought about in a while. And what the hell, who's it hurting, you know what I mean?....
But I couldn't sit on a bench and orate. I'm not a public speaker by any means. And I don't like the sound of Nellie Gump either...

Why are you always so mean about Spendius? You shouldn't say stuff like that - and I'm being dead serious here.

Hope you have a good night. It's finally cooled off a little bit here. It's been pretty stifling the last couple of nights - but tonight there's a nice, cool breeze. Talk to you later.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 03:31 pm
Well personally, I think you are being extremely rude and unappreciative.

I have gone out of my way to secure you a new title and you are flippant, if not down right obnoxious regarding the same.

Nellie Gump is far more constructive than Aidan.

I bet you threw tantrums at home when you didn't get your own way.

With regards to Nellie Gump, I think I will use it as your main form of address, see what you think of it after use on a regular basis.

There is no need to take a wobbler on me either with regards to that idiot, I am not mean to him at all, you are simply besotted with him.
Teachers can be like that, they have school girl type crushes based on levels of IQ which don't say a great deal at all.

I have been round at my younger daughters this evening. They are going on holiday to Oman tomorrow. Ali her elder boy was showing me all of his exam results for the end of term. The maths, science, history, geography, chemistry, and French lessons have not changed a great deal since my day. I was impressed with his Latin and Spanish though, he starts learning Russian next term.

On the 1st June last the two boys were fortunate enough to be invited through the tennis academy to the England training ground at Carrington. They obtained all the funny signatures in their autograph books.

Plus a photograph with Wayne Rooney and would you believe a snap with His Royal Highness Prince William who was there. Lucky boys. I have them loaded on my computer, both granny and I are really proud of that!!

Just started raining here, been a cracking day and I really got a lot done, I started just before 7am and finished at 5pm to drive to my daughters.

Take care Nellie...
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 12:47 am
'Mathos - It's absolutely amazing to me what you can construe to be rudeness.

In my last post - I paid you a compliment. I told you that you brought interesting subjects to the conversation. But you chose to focus on the fact that I demurred on the Nellie Gump front.

Although, I have to say, after giving it a little thought, although Nellie isn't one of my favorite names, if you're referring to me as Mrs. Gump, as in Forrest's mother, I'll take that label as a compliment and wear it proudly. What a wonderful, wise character she was. As I"ve said before, Aidan means little to me at this point.

I have no idea if I was a tantrum thrower or not as a kid. There were so many of us that all the details tend to run together in my mother's head and she can't say who did what for sure anymore. But I doubt it. As I've said before - my dad was a toe the line kind of guy when it came to behavior. A tantrum wouldn't have been tolerated for very long I don't think.

Who has a crush? Not me. I am, however, admiring of intelligence- in anyone. I do have to admit that. But I'm also admiring of kindness, forthrightness, energy, skill of almost any kind, courage- all types of positive characteristics. The only traits I really can't abide and steer way clear of are pettiness, cowardice, cruelty and dishonesty. I think the willingness to indulge oneself in those ways says much more about a person than his or her IQ score. Who wants to be around an asshole- even if s/he's smart?

I take up for Spendius because I'm loyal. Remember last summer when everyone on trivia was giving you a hard time because you wouldn't follow the rules or count your syllables? I took up for you too. That's just the way I am.
My father does remember that about me from when I was a little girl. He says, to this day, "Nellie Laughing has always taken up for the underdog." Not that Spendius is an underdog - but you are pretty rough on him now and then. And I have to tell you Mathos - meanness and cruelty are not at all attractive.

Your grandsons sound lovely and on their way to a bright future. Are they doing GCSE's? I'll be watching the tennis news for someone named Ali in the future.

It's been raining here for twenty-four hours. All sorts of strange events going on - not just the weather.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 01:36 am
You know Mathos - something that just happened while I was writing my last post reminded me of teaching and why I like spending time with the teen-agers at work moreso than the little kids. The teens are just soooo funny. I hate to admit it because I'm supposed to be this mature adult person, but I laugh and laugh with those guys - especially the boys.

For instance: I was sitting in a class observing a kid. The teacher was this very attractive, but very business-like woman in her late twenties or early thirties. She was the type who called the kids Mr. _____ or Miss ________ instead of their first names. She was giving this very cut and dried English grammar lesson and this young man I was observing was intent on amusing the other kids in the back of the class.

The teacher stopped the lesson and said, "Mr. _________. Please move into a seat at the front of the classroom. I don't feel that I'm meeting your educational needs back there."

He smirked and said, "I'd be more than happy to move forward, Miss ___________. Anything that would make it easier for you to meet any of my needs."

Well, I almost died trying to disguise the fact that I was laughing. I mean, I almost choked trying to hold it in. Miss ________ was not amused at all - didn't even crack a smile. Now that's a mature adult -and as I got to know her - I learned that she was a very good teacher - just the type to handle old Mr. ___________ (who by the way went on to become one of my favorite students and was voted class clown in his senior year).

The point I'm making is that in some ways I have an adolescent boy's sense of humor. That's why I find little tricks and stuff funny - especially when it displays someone's mischievous sense of humor and skills and/or ability in which I myself may be lacking. I admire it and find it funny- as well as indicative of a certain type of intelligence. Misplaced maybe, but intelligence none the less.

Reminds me - I watched Napoleon Dynamite again last night. My favorite line in the whole movie is when Napoleon asks "Do the chicken's have large talons?" I don't why - that just cracks me up.

Have a nice rainy day....
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 12:48 pm
Weather has been great up here Nellie, cloudburst last night , hot/sunny last two days, I have been outside from early morning until 7pm.

The teacher, with the young lad, yes you were jealous of her sex appeal to the lads, that's why you laughed.

Yes Forest had a wonderful mother, she would do anything for him. I always laugh to myself when I recall the young Forest with irons sat in a rocker on the front porch of an evening and the bed is creaking away. The school head, who had been receiving her favours came out and forest started imitating the creaking bed,, hee-haw!!! What a great scene, the actress who played her, brilliant actress but I am unable to recall her name, she was in a film with Burt Reynolds as well , the phrase 'nice arse' springs to mind.

Look, on the other thread, you will see I have been nice to Spendi, well before your 'rantings' he simply ignores it, they would sooner have a fight than their breakfast those Yorkies.

The name to watch for is Imran by the way, the younger of the two brothers, an absolute whiz at tennis, check Lancashire Lawn Tennis Assoc on Google, it should give you some information you will be very interested in, of that I am sure.

Nellie, I still reckon you have a silly crush on him. But from now on, leave him be, he only causes trouble.

An adolescent boy's sense of humour, you must be joking Nell, your a girl and think totally different, you couldn't have that at all. Wishful thinking I reckon.

I hope the weather improves for you southerners Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 01:43 pm
Quote:
Weather has been great up here Nellie, cloudburst last night , hot/sunny last two days, I have been outside from early morning until 7pm.

It was pouring to beat the band this morning - but turned sunny and beautiful this afternoon.

Quote:
The teacher, with the young lad, yes you were jealous of her sex appeal to the lads, that's why you laughed.

No, no, not jealous at all. I was just shocked and amused by the boy's chutzpah. He also had a very kind of smarmy delivery (picture Phil Hartmann at his smarmiest). It was funny- that's why I laughed.

Miss ________got him back though. Another time - months later- he was at it again- disrupting her class. She didn't say a word- just walked back to her desk, got a number off the rolodex and walked over to the phone. The kids were spellbound, trying to figure out what she was doing. Mr. _________ (we'll call him smarty-pants) was oblivious because he was back there doing his thing, you know, entertaining. Anyway she spoke into the phone and then held it out to the boy in question. He looked at her - totally confused. She had called his mother- right then and there. And she had been holding the phone out so his mother could hear his very distinctive and recognizable voice disrupting the class. He turned ten shades of red and kind of slunk up to take the phone. He suddenly got very quiet and very respectful and agreeable as he listened to whatever his mom (who was very irate about being interrupted at work) had to say to him.

I thought this teacher was great. Jealous? No way. I admired her. For someone so young - she had really good classroom instincts.

Quote:
Yes Forest had a wonderful mother, she would do anything for him. I always laugh to myself when I recall the young Forest with irons sat in a rocker on the front porch of an evening and the bed is creaking away. The school head, who had been receiving her favours came out and forest started imitating the creaking bed,, hee-haw!!! What a great scene, the actress who played her, brilliant actress but I am unable to recall her name, she was in a film with Burt Reynolds as well , the phrase 'nice arse' springs to mind.

Sally Fields is her name. I had forgotten about that scene. Well- rounded woman that Mrs. Gump.

Quote:
Look, on the other thread, you will see I have been nice to Spendi, well before your 'rantings' he simply ignores it, they would sooner have a fight than their breakfast those Yorkies.
Glad to hear you're behaving yourself.

Quote:
The name to watch for is Imran by the way, the younger of the two brothers, an absolute whiz at tennis, check Lancashire Lawn Tennis Assoc on Google, it should give you some information you will be very interested in, of that I am sure.

You must be very proud and excited.

Mathos - I just tried to put a laughing emoticon in here and it erased my quote. I don't have crushes anymore - silly or otherwise. I'm not a school girl anymore you know.

Quote:
An adolescent boy's sense of humour, you must be joking Nell, your a girl and think totally different, you couldn't have that at all. Wishful thinking I reckon.
It's true. My son and I laugh at exactly the same things and my daughter just looks at us both as if we're nuts. She never gets it the way we do.

Quote:
I hope the weather improves for you southerners :roll

Me too.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 01:50 pm
Nel,

I have to assume you go through withdrawal without the quotes

:wink:

You have to knock the wink down a line or two since the system has been 'improved' Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 01:57 pm
My system has been improved too. Laughing

All the colors have changed - everything's a brighter, more beautiful, deeper shade of blue here on a2k. Is it like that for you too? I have to say - I like it. It kind of reminds me of how in the Wizard of Oz everything turns technicolor when they hit the Emerald City.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 02:36 am
Traveler (for Joseph)

You no longer knew how to be
that winter the world had grown
shadowy with regret-
when the one you had always known
had flown, dissolving into distance,
fractured silence-
and charcoal air.

So you remembered yellow days-