Why do they call doctors’ work their practice?

Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 04:10 pm
Where did this terminology originate? I would think another word would be better. The connotation of practice is not really positive. Listening to the radio, they were mentioning where certain pediatrics were practicing. My first thought was I don't want a doctor practicing on my children. Why don't they refer to it was experience or something, why is it practice? Are they really practicing on us? And even so, wouldn't ya think they would want us to believe otherwise?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,453 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 04:19 pm
"Practicus" in Latin (from Greek praktikos) - that's (in short) the origin.

Has been the name for a doctor's office/room since more then two thousand years.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 04:21 pm
What does Practicus mean? Or is it a straight defination - i.e. it means Doctor's work?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 04:24 pm
I never thought about it that way, Linkat. Shocked I guess lawyers are practicing on others also? Hmmmm. I can't wait to see more on this. Very good question.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 04:25 pm
Well that goes without saying Momma!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 04:25 pm
LOL. I hear ya! Laughing
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 04:27 pm
Linkat wrote:
What does Practicus mean? Or is it a straight defination - i.e. it means Doctor's work?

Practicus was a Roman Gladiator, who got so fed up with killing his opponents, he decided to just hurt them a bit and then patch them up afterwards.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 04:27 pm
makes sense lord.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 04:35 pm
Main Entry: prac·tice
Function: noun
1 : the form and manner of conducting judicial and quasi-judicial proceedings
2 a : the continuous exercise of a profession; also : the performance of services that are considered to require an appropriate license <engaged in the unauthorized practice of law> b : a professional business
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 04:37 pm
it still does sound a bit distrust inspiring. now i'll never see a doctor without mortal fear.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 04:43 pm
Full entry:

Quote:
Main Entry: 2practice Pronunciation Guide
Variant(s): also practise \"\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): -s
1 a obsolete (1) : performance or operation of something : EXECUTION (2) : a mode of acting or proceeding b : actual performance or application of knowledge as distinguished from mere possession of knowledge : performance or application habitually engaged in; usually : repeated or customary action : USAGE <the practice of rising early or working hard> c (1) : the usual mode or method of doing something <the practice is to use a local anesthetic> (2) practices plural : habitual conduct that is socially, ethically, or otherwise unacceptable <the unwholesome practices of folk medicine> <departing these evil practices>
2 a (1) obsolete : skillful or artful management : dexterity in contrivance or the use of means (2) : treacherous contriving; also : SCHEME, PLOT b archaic (1) : NEGOTIATION (2) : INTRIGUE c archaic : the act of using artifice or influence upon : imposing or working upon
3 a : systematic exercise for instruction or discipline <troops called out for practice> <practice makes perfect> <daily piano practice> b archaic (1) : a practical treatise (2) : practical proficiency or skill acquired by systematic action or exercise <this disease is beyond my practice -- Shakespeare>
4 a : the exercise of a profession or occupation <the practice of law> b : professional business or work especially as an incorporeal property <a lucrative practice> <sold his practice>
5 : the form, manner, and order of conducting and carrying on suits and prosecutions through their various stages according to law
synonym see HABIT
- in practice adverb 1 a : in actual or accepted usage : as a fact b obsolete : in customary or present use : in vogue 2 : in such a condition as a result of practice as to be able to perform in an effective or superior manner <athletes must keep in practice>
- out of practice adverb : in such a condition as a result of lack of practice as to be unable to perform in an effective or superior way <out of practice on the piano>

source:
"practice." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002. http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com (16 Mar. 2006).
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 04:46 pm
Here's another scary thought. What do they call the guy who graduates dead last in his class at medical school?

Doctor.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 04:50 pm
theoretical v. practical

theory v. practice

like walter says...
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 08:47 pm
Maybe they call it practice because that's what they do; they practice, practice and practice until they get it right.

I just hope they get it right by the time they get to me.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 06:40 am
Well I guess I practice at my occupation as well. The only difference is I don't have a person's life at stake. Even if the origins of the word have a different meaning - our current connotation of the word practice does not inspire confidence in some one practicing versus some one that is actually working.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 07:33 am
The French word for practis - cabinet - might give some "strange" ideas for some foreigners as well :wink:
0 Replies