The First Ladies Quiz

edithdoll

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 09:39 am
26. Lucy Hayes, also known as "Lemonade Lucy",
I just mentioned her on another thread...
The President, Rutherford B. Hayes
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 01:07 pm
Yep, that's right! :-D
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 11:46 am
4 Abigail Adams
6 Betty Ford
11 Bess truman
16 the one known as Lemonaide Lucy
24 Mrs. Polk ? Or was he a widower in the WHite House?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 02:59 pm
You're right about #6, plainoldme.

Surprised the heck outta me when I read that Mrs. Ford had studied under Martha Graham!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 07:47 pm
Wow I had forgotten about this, hmm, it's gradual but slowly we make or way through the quiz, good thing jespah is not our high school history teacher, or maybe not. If she was we would probably know this stuff.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 08:31 pm
Is #7 Mary Todd Lincoln?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 09:00 am
Nope. #31, already guessed, was Mary Todd Lincoln.

I realize one of the reasons this is so hard is because a lot of the 19th century First Ladies weren't that memorable. A lot of them stayed in their rooms, pretended to be invalids (some really were), and generally avoided the public at all costs.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 06:08 pm
4. Martha Jefferson
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 04:53 am
I think Martha Jefferson was already eliminated as a wrong answer for #4, Bill. That was my guess, too.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 11:52 am
#4 is not Martha Jefferson.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 05:47 pm
Hmm, reviving this topic to see if more answers are forthcoming ....
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 09:19 pm
Re: The First Ladies Quiz
1. She fainted when she heard her husband had been nominated for the Presidency, and fervently prayed for his defeat. Jane Pierce
2. She worked as a teacher a few years after she and her husband married; a rarity! Once he became prominent, however, she stopped working. Abigail Fillmore
3. During a trip to Cuba, she didn't make an effort to speak Spanish (even though she had studied it) because she was afraid that any error would be reported by the press. Pat Nixon
4. While her husband was Ambassador to France, she acted to help save Mme. Lafayette from the guillotine. It was one of her few public acts. Elizabeth Monroe
9. Since this President was a widower, he asked his sister to fill in as First Lady. Chester A. Arthur
10. She and her husband were married for over fifty years, and he was in politics for over half that time. She did not like being a politician's wife. In a small recognition of her sacrifice, Congress adjourned for her 1853 funeral. Louisa Adams
16. She suffered from seizures, which her husband helped to hide by covering her face (only during the seizures) with a handkerchief. Ida McKinley
17. While her husband was away at sea, she cared for their children and memorized Shakespeare. Rosalynn Carter
28. She died when she was only thirty-five and missed her husband's Presidency. They had five children. Hannah van Buren
33. She passed away before her husband became President, so her role was filled by another - who ended up becoming First Lady to the succeeding President. Martha Jefferson (Dolly Madison was Jefferson's "hostess")
37. She had had a stroke a couple of years before her husband became President, so she didn't go out much, and her daughter-in-law filled in for her. Letitia Tyler
41. She tutored her husband in writing and arithmetic, but eventually he surpassed her. Eliza Johnson
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 07:05 am
Verra nice, Joe! You got all but #2 and #3 correct! :-D
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 10:01 am
By the by, thank you again for the thread, Jespah, i've enjoyed it since its inception.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 02:42 pm
Hey, yer welcome Embarrassed They're kinda interesting people in their own right, and I think some of what's been highlighted says a lot about how we as a country have treated prominent women over the years - delicate, opinions not mattering, to be prettified, and finally listened to - yep, it's all there.

Glad you like! :-D
0 Replies