Democrats block second Bush nominee

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 09:00 am
Dys and others have been making some very good points. I have nothing new here, but I appreciate reading all the points of view.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 09:21 am
I've only just discovered this thread and the land lines are making things very slow this a.m. -- so can't check and see whether you've already see that Frist will try to outlaw filibusters:

http://www.smirkingchimp.com/article.php?sid=11358&mode=nested&order=0

Apologies if this has already been noted and discussed!
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 11:29 am
This is not happening. To change Senate rules, it takes more votes than it takes to end a filibuster. Good luck, sore losers. :-)
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 02:13 pm
I hope you're right, Lola!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 02:19 pm
hope i am right about this but my understanding is SuperMajority to end a filibuster (60 votes) Senate rule changes take 2/3rd (67 votes)
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 02:39 pm
Here's my problem... Look at what Daschle's reaction was:

"Senate Democratic leader Tom Daschle (D-S.D.) cautioned against any rule change, saying it could mute characteristics that make the Senate uniquely consultative, giving the minority and even single senators a powerful voice."

Does that sound like a man who's saying "not over my dead body, you pondscum"?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 02:46 pm
Okay, here we go. Take a look at this and see if you don't think they're right about Daschle:

http://www.buzzflash.com/buzzscripts/buzz.dll/content
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 08:23 pm
Tartarin, Daschle is worse than useless while the Republicans increase their power geometrically, knowing that he won't stand up to them. This quote from your link says so much about the arrogance of the right. This is something the Republicans would never have stated openly even four years ago. It sounds exactly like the fascism it is:
===================

As Mr. Weyrich notes, "Fewer and fewer people rely on newspapers and the traditional print media for their information. Most people get their news about politics and government from the broadcast media. Conservatives dominate talk radio and the Fox News Channel is the fastest growing channel in news/talk television. Then, there is the Internet. All the big web pages are conservative. The liberal media is in a state of significant decline. [Therefore], the Republican senators can get by with doing what Senator Talent suggests and survive politically."
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 08:34 pm
I can't even comment on Daschle until I have some evidence that he grew a backbone.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 08:59 pm
But........he held that Senate together for these two filibusters. Not one dissenting democrat. And he's held them together on some of the budget and tax issues, too. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 09:13 pm
That'll never happen.

Who in the Democratic Party understands that the Republicans are now making up the rules as they go along and that the Dems need to block them each time they tell one of their blatant lies and, at the same time, expose the rot that lies just beneath the surface?

We don't want to lower ourselves to their level, yet we must show that the truth is something worth voting for as opposed to the seductive smoke spewing from the Repubs.

This brave new world is next to impossible for any of us to understand because of its unreal character and the lies that are being passed off as truth. Do any of the leaders in the Dem Party realize how drastically things have changed in this country and how brainwashed so many citizens have become?

The US now reminds me of the government in that old British series The Prisoner. Who knows what is real anymore? How can we get the message across with enough authority to wake people up to the very real danger we are in of losing everything that is good still left in our government?

Who has a voice that will be heard?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 09:17 pm
"The US now reminds me of the government in that old British series The Prisoner."

EXACTLY
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 10:11 pm
124: Number of confirmed judges for this administration
2: Number of judges refused nomination
98.4%: The success rate for judicial nominations
The charge that Democrats are obstructionist: Priceless. And laughable.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 07:43 am
Dems have been confirming federal judges at a rate of 6 per month. Check that against Republican confirmations in the previous administration. And then, if you're a Republican, hang your head in shame.

Guys, William Greider is written a clear and incisive description of what the Republicans are up to and what the Dems can do to stop the tide. I'm going to excerpt the article in a new thread about getting the Dem act together. The article is highly recommended, a fully articulate call to arms.
0 Replies

donlasv

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 12:59 am
obstructionist
Pdiddie:

The repubs have never filibustered against judges for the appeals court.
0 Replies

donlasv

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 01:01 am
lies
Can you be specific about the "lies" you say the repubs are telling?
0 Replies

donlasv

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 01:10 am
dyslexia:

Are you saying that more than a simple majority is required by the constitution for business other than the cases that are EXPLICITLY noted such as treaties, etc.

Get off it!! Clarence Thomas was consented to by a vote of 52-48.

You are only confusing the issue!
0 Replies

donlasv

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 01:18 am
percentages
mamajuana:

Were you trying to be funny when you asked what percentage is 60 votes??
(When there is 100 of anything, 60 would be 60%)

A majority is 51%, which means 51 senators. Easy, isn't it!

I never quoted the constitution to you except to say that 60 votes to confirm is NOT in the constitution. Don't put words in my mouth (advise and consent remarks).

Gore didn't win because he didn't have a majority of ELECTORS voting for him. This is in constitution also.
0 Replies

donlasv

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 01:27 am
tartarin:

Why should Repubs "hang their heads in shame" when even the Dems admit the Bush nominations are worthy of judge appointments??
(As you said, 6 a month. Great!!)
Let's all work to increase the rate!!
0 Replies

donlasv

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 01:32 am
tartarin:

Thanks for giving the link to buzzflash.com.
Great points there. I cannot add anything.
0 Replies