Democrats block second Bush nominee

Ethel2

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 02:16 pm
Now this is classic Bush. Now we can have the courts deciding to destroy balance of power between Senate and Executive for the Judicial Branch, when the Supreme Court has decided who will be president. Why don't we just have a monarchy? Or ditatorship? The Bush clan can rule the world and we'll have newspeak coming out of our ears. This sounds a bit extreme, but really...........it's sort of scary.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:50 pm
The Senate also has the say-so on the president's picks for vacancies on the bench of the United States Supreme Court. We have been lucky, thus far, in Dubya's administration that a high court replacement has not been necessary.

Dubya may have an opportunity to appoint an associate justice before the end of his first term. With all probabilities, Dubya will serve a second
term . . . and it is then that he may have the opportunity for more Supreme Court appointments.

It is fortunate to have the advise and consent of the Senate on matters like these. Otherwise, as mamajuana has pointed out, Dubya would try to pack this court with right-wing ideologues. It will be interesting to see
whom Dubya will designate for the Supreme Court. It will also be frightening.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:09 pm
Hotlegs Lola said:
Quote:
Now this is classic Bush. Now we can have the courts deciding to destroy balance of power between Senate and Executive for the Judicial Branch, when the Supreme Court has decided who will be president. Why don't we just have a monarchy? Or ditatorship? The Bush clan can rule the world and we'll have newspeak coming out of our ears. This sounds a bit extreme, but really...........it's sort of scary.

No, dear.

What is scary is that you honestly think that this country would go for such foolishness.

It ain't gonna happen.

Period.

You have the opportunity to contribute to his removal of office on the first Tuesday in November, 2004.

Or at the very least, NOT to vote for Condoleeza Rice in 2008!
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:49 pm
maxsdadeo wrote:

Or at the very least, NOT to vote for Condoleeza Rice in 2008!

Election Day 2008 may see an historic race for president. It could be historic because two women may be seeking the presidency. Condoleeza Rice would be the Republican choice and Sen. Hillary Clinton the Democrat.

A campaign between these two women would probably prove more interesting than the outcome.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:59 pm
Condoleeza Rice in 2008? Boy, that's stretch.

The Senate confirmed, by unanimous vote, a republican nominee to the Circuit Court in Texas, who happens to be Hispanic and conservative. But that AG from Alabama is something else. He actually filed a Friend of the Court brief supporting the very thing that Santorum has been getting heat for. I can't decide if this is brazen, dumb, or just plain arrogant.

And this country has been sold a bill of goods many times on stuff that is scary. One of the things connected to what Lola said is the fact that this Bush cabal really neither listens to nor cares about the country's people. But we can exercise a vote, and also organize it. Which is what the Move-On people are doing now. You can tap into them and sign up to help. (Not you, Max - although you'd be welcome, I don't think it's your thing.)
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 10:15 pm
mamajuana wrote:

But that AG from Alabama is something else. He actually filed a Friend of the Court brief supporting the very thing that Santorum has been getting heat for. I can't decide if this is brazen, dumb, or just plain arrogant.

mama<

Bill Pryor, Alabama's attorney general, has been described by many voters in the state as "brazen, dumb and just plain arrogant."
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sat 3 May, 2003 10:19 am
Mama:

Cool, I may to check this out at MoveOn, as the local Peace group is thinking of laying off the vigils and something like what you spoke of may be a good way to keep some of the momentum going.

If not I fear we will be one step closer to a world like this
0 Replies

donlasv

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 03:44 am
phrase meaning
williamhenry3:
Both you and mamajuana have used the phrase, "right-wing idealogue".

What does this phrase mean? Are there "left-wing idealogues"??

You said it would be frightening if a "right-wing idealogue" were appointed to USSC. Can you be specific as to what this judge would do to make you "frightened"?

BTW, I looked in 2 dictionaries and they didn't have the term, "idealogue". They did have "idealist". Thanks in advance.
0 Replies

donlasv

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 04:16 am
childish pols
mamajuana:

You said a lot of our pols were children. Since it is the Democrats who are filibustering, I guess you mean a lot of Dem. pols are...

Or are many of them liars when they said a few years ago that they would not support blocking judge appointments by filibustering. (Leahy, Reid to name 2)

The Constitution explicitly notes when more than a simple majority of the senate is required (i.e. treaties, etc) . Consenting to judges is not one of these instances. By using a senate rule requiring 60 votes to end discussion, the senate is requiring more than a simple majority. BTW, the senate rule on filibusters is NOT in the constitution .

You also mentioned "Republican dirty linen" . What are you referring to??
0 Replies

donlasv

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 04:34 am
Estrada
mamajuana:

I forgot to mention that you are so right in pointing out that some Hispanic groups are not supportive of Estrada. The main group is MALDEF (Mexican Legal Defense league) . They are a liberal group who fights immigration reform, and who wants special treatment for Hispanics such as contracts and Affirmative Action.

Estrada was a young legal immigrant who worked hard and rose to a high position in the Solicitors General office. He argued 14 cases before the USSC. The message sent to young Hispanics if Estrada were a judge is not one that MALDEF would be happy with.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 05:27 am
i·de·o·logue (ī'dē-ə-lôg', -lŏg', ĭd'ē-)
n.
An advocate of a particular ideology, especially an official exponent of that ideology.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 05:42 am
Main Entry: ideo·logue
Variant(s): also idea·logue /'I-dE-&-"log, -"läg/
Function: noun
Etymology: French idéologue, back-formation from idéologie
Date: 1815
1 : an impractical idealist : THEORIST
2 : an often blindly partisan advocate or adherent of a particular ideology

What kind of dictionary you got there, donlasv?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:14 am
Neo? Huh? (Snood went back and edited his error, above)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:37 am
Sorry - donlasv
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 11:02 am
hotlegs Lola here............

(thanks Max's dad, that was a nice compliment)

I won't wait until election day to do all I can do about the Bush tyranny. Believe me I'm motivated as are many liberals. I just hope we don't make the same mistake we made last time. perot, then Robertson and Buchanan did it for Clinton and the Democrats and Nader did it for the Republicans last election. I am in agreement with the principles of the Green Party, but the time has not come and when you push an agenda with an unrealistic time table, it means disaster for that agenda. This election will be about stopping the Republican / Bush / Rumsfeld / Rove / Wolfowitz/Perle machine before it's too late. I just hope the Senate will continue to do it's job until we make it to the election.

WilliamHenry, I wonder if some of the Supreme Court justices may be waiting until or if Bush is reelected. I'm not sure why those justices who wanted so to retire haven't done so yet. A second term president can do a lot of damage. Let's make sure this supposed president doesn't get that chance because the damage will be even more extensive than it already has been.

STOP BUSH IN 2004
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 11:10 am
LICK BUSH IN 2004
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 11:21 am
cjhsa,

RUN BUSH OUT OF TOWN IN 2003

(licking is too nice for those b@$tard$)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 07:00 pm
Bush has nominated another conservative judge for the supreme court: Carolyn Kuhl.

Her fervent opposition to abortion and women's rights includes:

Advocating overruling Roe v. Wade soon after the Supreme Court had reaffirmed it;

Defense of the "squeal rule" requiring parental notification for young people to obtain prescription contraception at federally-funded family planning clinics;

Defense of the "gag" rule prohibiting counseling or referrals for abortion;

Opposition to claims of repeated sexual harassment on the job amounting to the creation of "a hostile environment";

Urging that public educational institutions be allowed to discriminate against women;

Denial of a privacy violation claim for a woman whose breast cancer medical visit was attended by a drug company representative without her consent.

Kuhl has advanced such positions as a political appointee at the Department of Justice, in private practice and even as a judge in California's state courts. Her advocacy was sharply out of the mainstream. The U.S. Supreme Court rejected her contentions with respect to abortion, sexual harassment, discrimination in education, and other areas. The U.S. Court of Appeals rejected her position on the squeal rule, and a higher California court reversed her decision on the privacy claim and in other significant cases.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 07:05 pm
uggggh...............how do we deserve these little treasures?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 07:07 pm
another example of compassionate conservative fascists.
0 Replies