he's finding them under Ashcroft's rock
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 07:09 pm
oh littlek, you don't want to know.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 07:10 pm
no, I prolly don't. I'll just keep Lola's image of Ashcroft's rock as my answer....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 07:20 pm
If anyone's interested.... a group called NARAL sends out emails about women's reproductive rights. They're really on top of the Bush admin.

http://www.naral.org/index.html
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:43 pm
Take him or leave him, the Rev. Jesse Jackson does have one solid piece of advice: "Don't go to Bushes."
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:45 pm
williamhenry3 wrote:
Take him or leave him, the Rev. Jesse Jackson does have one solid piece of advice: "Don't go to Bushes."

Actually what he says is, "stay out of the Bushes", a quip now used often by the Reverend Al.
0 Replies

donlasv

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 11:35 pm
Dictionary
I do feel sort of stupid. I used the Simon & Schuster Encyclopedia CD which I have on my computer. (I think the dictionary is American College)

Of course I should have just used google and found the Merriam-Webster dictionary on line. There, I found the definitions you supplied.

However, my original question was: What is a right-wing idealogue?

On the web, I found a link where it said "A conservative idealogue parades himself as a logical, clear thinker. See "troglodyte".

A liberal idealogue "trumpets his higher level of mental, spiritual and social awareness". See Weenie.

Wow!! There sure are a lot of weenies in this discussion! I wonder if there is a word to describe a weenie who wants to obstruct the will of the people?
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 08:10 am
donslav<

Obviously you are a "troglodyte" of the obnoxious variety.

Many times when "troglodytes" feel stupid, it means they are. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

donlasv

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 03:40 am
obnoxious??
williamhenry3:

Your remark about my stupidity was humerous -- even for a weenie. I'd give it about a 3.

However, your use of the term, "obnoxious" , is a bit personal. I re-read my posts and I failed to see any personal references of that kind.

But I think I've figured out why you would be "frightened" by a Bush judge appointee. Maybe for you "obnoxious" = someone opposed to your views.
That is always frightening and is a hallmark of a true weenie.
Laughing
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 05:10 am
Hey guys, there's probably a little troglodyte and weenie in all of us.
Can't we all just get along? Very Happy
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 10:58 am
Aw, snood, don't go soft on us!....
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 11:32 am
donlasv - And what is the will of the people? Very unclear. Are you referring to the will of the republicans? They're only part of the people. So with the democrats. Perhaps with the wide and varied hispanics? Haven't noticed any groups of people coming out with the will.

Everybody is doing a job. The executive, no matter how high and mighty it thinks it is, nominates. The legislative advises and consents (or disagrees). And that is what's happening. And if part of the legislative disagrees, then it is their right and duty to do so. If the ideologues on the right think this is wrong, then they do not know or care about the constitution they love to quote.

Get off it. Watch the process at play.
0 Replies

donlasv

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 02:34 pm
constitution
mamajuana:

I re-read the Constitution and there is no mention of a provision requiring 60 senators to "advise and consent" to judge appointees. Did you miss that point in my post to you?

The will of the people was expressed when they elected a majority of Repub. senators. If "part of the legislature" is opposed, they can express their displeasure by voting "No". (and trying to convince others of their views).
Not even permitting a vote is obstructionism.
In the movie, "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", Mr. Smith had to keep talking all night to keep the filibuster going. Today, our senators of both parties don't want to miss their beauty sleep.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 09:01 pm
Quote:
Kuhl, a Los Angeles County Superior Court judge, was picked for the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco. She is the latest of Bush's judicial nominees to encounter united Democratic opposition in committee.

Democrats said they have made no decision about a filibuster in the full Senate.

"We have two filibusters going. Maybe that's enough," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.

Also Thursday, Republicans failed to get the 60 votes needed to end the filibusters. They lost a sixth attempt to break the filibuster of Miguel Estrada, nominated for a seat on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. The vote was 54-43.

Republicans fell short for a second time to end the delay on Texas judge Priscilla Owen, nominated for the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans. The vote was 52-45.

Bush has pledged to stand by Estrada and Owen, and repeatedly has criticized Democrats over the delays. "These partisan obstructionist tactics are unprecedented, unacceptable and inconsistent with the Senate's constitutional responsibility," the president said in a statement.

LINK
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 09:07 pm
donlasv<

Before I take to my bed for some much-deserved beauty rest, my use of the term "obnoxious" in reference to you was indeed "personal." It had nothing to do with the "frightening" views about which I correctly wrote.

Now, where is my nightgown . . . . .z z z z z z
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 09:09 pm
Re: constitution
donlasv wrote:
mamajuana:

I re-read the Constitution and there is no mention of a provision requiring 60 senators to "advise and consent" to judge appointees. Did you miss that point in my post to you?

there is also no mention in the Constitution about a majority vote. The Senate is quite free to make their own rules and they have done so from the very beginning.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 09:57 pm
Bush is hungry for even bigger fish and is doing all he can to see that some Supreme Court justices retire while he is still in office in order to stack the Court with his appointees.

http://www.democrats.org/scotus/
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 11:09 am
donslav: The will of the people has a far broader meaning than a slim majority of republicans who vote in a bloc. That's when it turns into something else. Thank you, dyslexia. The point about the Senate (and its committees) making its own rules is written. Before quoting the Constitution to me, perhaps you shoud read more of it. It is quite easliy brought up on google. And you wiggle over the point about advise and consent, and each according to his principles. The Senate can confirm or deny a nomination, but its role is to advise and consent, not just to rubber stamp.

Take the numbers. How many senators, what are they. The republicans can't muster a vote of sixty to break the filibuster. What percentage is that of a hundred senators? That's a majority by anyone's count. So, when you - and they - talk about a majority, that's not what you mean at all, is it?

And please note all the squirrely references now being made by song-and-dance Hatch to the ABA. When Bush came in, they couldn't jump fast enough to decry the ABA, and take them out as a recommending body. Now, it seems, their opinion matters.

And a majority vote would have given the presidency to Gore. That's why Bush needs the court. They're the reason he's sitting where he is. Not voted in by a majority, was he?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 08:15 am
0 Replies