Is being gay a choice?

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 05:13 pm
I'm sure you could and I'm sure it would be fake.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 05:15 pm
Aww sweetie, gonna take a nasty turn here? Not interested in jabbing with you.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 05:18 pm
That's nice; don't fight.
That's what my grandmother said when she caught me and the neighbor girl playing around.

By the way, Light, I had a terrible headache.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 05:37 pm
Oh, that old tired excuse. A headache.

Something else I had was aching.

I could be impressed if the angels could be made to dance on the point of the pin. Ouch!
0 Replies

RaceDriver205

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 12:19 am
Quote:
Christians are accused of picking out in the Bible particular verses and ignoring others. Pot meet the kettle.

Yeah the bible is full of contradictions. Allows people to use their own 'interpretation' i guess. Good reason not to take it seriously, but thats another topic.

Quote:
Homosexuality hasn't been considered a disorder for many decades now. Get with it.

Get with this: Whether or not Muslims consider bombing infidels to be correct doesnt mean it is. Whether or not some countries consider horrific torture to be correct, doesnt mean it is. Etc etc.
Just because you disagree with the defining of homosexuallity as a disorder, or any number of people for that matter, doesnt mean it is not.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 12:40 am
Hey RaceDriver! We are not talking suicide bombers here. Homosexuals have been with us since the dawn of mankind - and probably long before. They were here before the major religions. J Edgar Hoover, Rock Hudson, Oscar Wilde, Tennessee Williams, Alexander the Great and many others have been homsexuals. Did this make them bad people?
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 06:58 am
Having only read the first page of this thread, sorry for repetition, but what i would say is:

you cant help who you are attracted to. but you can help if you act upon it.
this goes for everyone, and is the basic law of choice.
a homosexual may not be able to help being attracted to men, but he would be able to decide whether to live in the closet or come out and live a gay lifestyle.
just like a married woman could act upon her insticts to sleep with the milkman or not.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 07:25 am
It is not me that does not define homosexuality as a disorder. It's a convenient out for those who are bigoted.

The reason it's called the Holy Bible is that it is full of holes. Interpretation or interpolation? It's very dangerous for the amateur lay person to start applying the words in the Bible. Leave it to the professional theologist and even they cannot mask the discordancy of the Old Testament. Where does Jesus address homosexuality specifically? Nowhere. He does state rather ambiguously that all shall follow what has been written before. Like Roman laws?

Pentacle Queen, you are hilarious. I needed that joke this morning. Made my day. Laughing
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 08:35 am
The Pentacle Queen wrote:

a homosexual may not be able to help being attracted to men, but he would be able to decide whether to live in the closet or come out and live a gay lifestyle.

I see. So homosexuals should not have the right to pursue happiness. That's it, eh? At times like this I'm damn glad I'm not a Christian.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 08:48 am
No sex for those attracted to the same sex just to please Pentacle Queen and her court or misguided clerics? Yes, it would be really undamaging for a gay person to remain in the closet and never have sex or experience a loving relationship, or marry a woman and make her life miserable. Really good thinking. On the level of a porcupine, but good.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 08:48 am
These threads always bring the control freaks out of thier closet.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 10:14 am
Keep in mind, PQ describes her location as "Nevernever Land".
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 11:09 am
I don't understand the verbal attack on Pentacle Queen? So what if she has a differing opinion or view? It's her right. She has a right to express it. She didn't ask you to agree with it, did she? She called no one names or accused them of being a control freak, etc.

Not everyone has the same understanding of things at the same time, and some never have the same understanding as another. Why would anyone want to look at their views for possible redefinition or introspection if this is the way you would treat them?

Think about it, if Pentacle Queen were a child and something like this was said to that child, would they take it and try to learn from it? Or would they bristle at it and think, "I think they doth protest too much?"

My understanding of homosexuality has changed, yes, but my basic understanding of treating people with respect and not demeaning them verbally because they may disagree has not.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 11:18 am
Quote:
just like a married woman could act upon her insticts to sleep with the milkman or not.

Pentacle Queen- I don't think that your comparison is valid. If a married woman slept with a milkman, then she would have broken her vow to be faithful to her husband. That would be equally true if a gay person in a committed relationship, cheated on his/her partner.

If a single gay or straight person slept with someone, he/she has not broken any committments.

You are comparing apples with oranges. You are also presupposing that there is something intrinsically wrong with a human being who happens to be gay, and wants to have a sex life with another person.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 11:23 am
Preaching a total lack of understanding and prejudice is not merely "disagreeing."
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 11:30 am
Lightwizard,

Pentacle Queen made a statement. It seems from that particular statement you have decided quite a few things. You haven't even given her a chance yet to respond to what she said.

Perhaps after she reads what Phoenix posted she might be able to explain her position a bit more clearly? If someone has a "lack of understanding", Lightwizard, do you want to leave them with that lack of understanding or would you rather they gained understanding?

It's fine to disagree with people and how they view things. But, I don't think you can expect them to gain any kind of other understanding if you are deciding things like "control freak, total lack of understanding....." This is not meant to attack in any way Lightwizard. It took a long time for me to even think about looking at my views on this issue.

I can tell you this though. The ones that were patient with me and were willing to show me where I was in error without verbally attacking me, were the ones I listened to. They made it easier for me beacause I felt less defensive.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 11:32 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Preaching a total lack of understanding and prejudice is not merely "disagreeing."

LW- You are right on target. I am getting disgusted with people who exhibit blatant prejudice, and lack of empathy, and then chalk it up to "disagreeing".

MA- I do believe that the problem that you are having is that intellectually, you have begun to understand that homosexuals are human beings, who deserve the same rights and freedoms as anybody else. Emotionally though, you are still tied to your biblical teachings.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 11:36 am
Phoenix,

You may be right. I won't say that you aren't because I am still dealing with some things on this issue. I can only tell you that because of a few who chose to understand my views as being different and yet took the time to teach me, I now know differently.

Just thought maybe if others understood how that patience and understanding helped one person it might help others.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 11:42 am
MA- It is not easy to pull away from a predigested set of views and answers, and decide to think for oneself. It is probably one of the most difficult things that a person can do. I would expect that a person undergoing this level of personal growth will come across many areas of conflict, that he/she needs to resolve.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 11:46 am
Agreed, Phoenix. I have to be willing to stay teachable.
0 Replies