THE NEW CAT ROOM! (or the Cat Room #2)

Eva

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 12:54 pm
Several days ago I noticed our twitchy, antisocial tomcat, Buster, was missing. He's a house cat, but we don't see him that much. Maybe once or twice a day. Truthfully, it took a day or two to notice he was gone. We combed the house from top to bottom, but no Buster. Where could he be?

We're thinking maybe he slipped out the door when we left it open for a few minutes for the dog. (He has done this on rare occasions over the past 10 years, but never got more than 6 feet past the doorway.) He's the strong, silent type...he doesn't have a voice. But if he had gotten trapped in the house the other animals surely would have alerted us. (That's happened a couple of times...inside a closet or a bathroom cabinet...of course we checked all those immediately.)

Anyway, it's puzzling. He's never gone missing like this before. I knew something was up when he didn't appear when I shook his bag of treats before bedtime a few nights ago. If he got out, he's probably gone for good. His front paws are declawed, he isn't microchipped, and he doesn't wear a collar since he's an indoor-only cat. He doesn't know his way around at all, and would have gotten spooked big-time by the lightning-thunder-hailstorm we had about the time he disappeared.

It's a mystery.
djjd62

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 12:57 pm
@Eva,
bummer, hope buster found a refuge somewhere
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 01:17 pm
@Eva,
How old is Sir Buster anyway?

Hope he gets some sense into his feline noggin and finds his way home soon.
Eva

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 01:55 pm
@djjd62,
I know. I worry about that because with no front claws (he kept shredding the drapes & furniture) he has limited defenses, and he's so antisocial I don't think he would approach anyone no matter how desperate he became.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 01:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

How old is Sir Buster anyway?

Hope he gets some sense into his feline noggin and finds his way home soon.

He's 10 years old. We've had him since he was 8 weeks old. Believe me, "sense" is not his strong suit. He's a congenitally nervous type. He freaks at his own shadow.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 02:10 pm
@Eva,
Aww, hope he comes home.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 02:11 pm
@Eva,
Damn. I hope he turns up.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 03:08 pm
@Eva,
I can relate to that. While I was away from home, someone let Spooky out. Noone knows many days he spent hiding in the brush, but it definately seemed like he was afraid to come back. I've had cats all my life, and don't even pretend to understand their psychology.
Eva

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 03:19 pm
@roger,
I've always had cats, too, and I generally do understand them. But this one has always been weird. We always said we should have named him "Twitch."

The strangest part is that his "sister"...(they're not littermates, but we got them both together as kittens, and they never spent a day apart)...seems absolutely oblivious to the fact that he's gone. I would've thought she'd be distraught, but she's acting just like she always has.

It's been about four days now since Buster disappeared into thin air.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 03:27 pm
@Eva,
Quote:
The strangest part is that his "sister"...(they're not littermates, but we got them both together as kittens, and they never spent a day apart)...seems absolutely oblivious to the fact that he's gone. I would've thought she'd be distraught, but she's acting just like she always has.

It's been about four days now since Buster disappeared into thin air.

(((Gasp))) Suspicious indeed! You need to have the sister cat polygraph tested ASAP! Shocked
Eva

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 03:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
Now THERE's a job nobody would want...polygraphing cats! <lol>
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 05:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
You know, sometimes I read posts from the bottom up. When I hit this one, I immediately knew it was by tsarstephan.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 10:29 pm
British cat wins Guinness record for loudest purr
http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/0505/British-cat-wins-Guinness-record-for-loudest-purr
roger

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 11:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
What next, records for the longest continuous apple peeling?
dlowan

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 01:10 am
@roger,
Oy Rat!! Purring promotes healing in cats, and possibly other species...besides being just delightful! The loudest purr is some thing to have.

I heard a gorilla giggling the other night...was watching something set in a sanctuary in Africa, and a young gorilla was being tickled...it's kind of whispery, but they and chimps laugh,
roger

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 01:50 am
@dlowan,
So do dogs, but let me tell you their sense of humor is kind of on the heavy side.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 10:43 am
@roger,
Dog's really love British comedies. Such a dry wit:
http://www.that-is-good-crap.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Humunga-Stache.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 11:31 am
I've been reviewing my food blog list, getting rid of a lot and adding a few more, and ran into one (food bloggers recommend others) I'm enjoying so far called "sidewalk shoes". I found this fine cat photo there -

http://scrappycat.smugmug.com/Other/Cats-2011/i-kW2xqLJ/0/M/20110508-IMG2410-M.jpg
msolga

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:02 pm
@ossobuco,
That is indeed a fine, healthy & intelligent looking cat, osso.
Love its colour scheme, too! Smile
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Great looking cat, Osso.....