THE NEW CAT ROOM! (or the Cat Room #2)

msolga

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 02:32 am
@Reyn,
Farewell, Kory & Kira.

Much-loved, extra-special & very beautiful tuxedo cat pair.

Sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 02:42 am
@neko nomad,
She's all worn out after another tough day, neko. You're going to have to try to make life a bit easier for her! Wink

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/nekonomad/nekonomad0267A.jpg
Reyn

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 08:40 pm
@margo,
Thanks, I'm glad I posted all the photos for everyone here. It puts faces on the kitties, and makes sharing our grief and joy easier. It's been a comfort.

margo wrote:

now, here's a relaxed critter:

Wonderful shot of your cat! Also, Neko!

You can always tell when a cat is relaxed by the amount of time they spend on their back.

We're starting to see this with Sophie, so good sign, I think!

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 03:36 am
I met a friend's new kitten today. She's called Sunny (because of her disposition. The name suits! Smile ) Sunny was one of 5 kittens living with their mother at a suburban football ground, would you believe? (Called "Windy Hill", would you believe? Wink ) Anyway, my friend, D (who is just about kindest & most compassionate friend of critters I personally know) discovered this litter about two weeks ago & has been feeding them every night since, hoping to catch them & find homes for them. Sunny was easy for her to catch. She was a hungry little thing & hung around longer than the others, who ate & bolted. D noticed that Sunny was dragging one of her back legs. She picked her up (upon which Sunny promptly fell asleep!) & took her to her vet. Turns out Sunny had a "mummified" (not functional) leg, due to some (probably) horrible incident in her short life. Sadly the leg had to be removed. The operation & a general check-up cost D a little under $1.6oo. So now she is the proud carer of a really beautiful 10 week old, 3 legged female tabby with one of the most delightful natures imaginable. I'm quite besotted! Very Happy
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 11:40 am
I just about had a heart attack about 1/2 hour ago.

Our townhouse complex is currently having the roof shingles being replaced. Anyways, I just momentarily went outside to check on something, being just right by the door and looking up. The door was only opened a little, and while I was distracted, Sophie got out and went around the corner of our unit (we're an end unit) a short ways.

Fortunately, she stopped and I was able to calmly call her and pick her up, and take her back inside. I was so grateful that she didn't keep on running.

I've made a promise to myself to not be so careless in future. It could have potentially been a disaster. Vivienne is currently out, and I should tell her to warn against any other "sneak-outs".

She had shown some interest in the door before, but it was only because I was distracted for a couple of seconds that she got out.

With Kory and Kira, we had them as kittens, and although we were quite careful, they never showed too much interest.

Obviously with Sophie, extra vigilance will be required.

[whew!]

Breathe in, breathe out...... Shocked
Aldistar

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 12:01 pm
@roger,
All ages. Our oldest cat Patches was 13 and surprisingly she lived the longest. Sammy was 9, Puppy was 3, Stubbs was 5 and Tootles 7. I still miss them so much. I feel so bad that it could have all been prevented.

Puppy was the first to catch it. she liked to be outside and she went missing for a week. She suddenly reappeared and was very thin. We thought maybe she had gotten locked in a neighbors garage and just needed to recover and eat. We brought her inside and wouldn't let her out for awhile, but she couldn't gain any weight. She stopped eating and was obviously in pain so we took her to the vet and that's when we found out what it really was.

The vet asked if we had any other cats and told us it was likely they all had it. I was just in Junior High at the time and was terrified and heart broken. We couldn't afford to have them all tested so we had to just wait and watch. It soon became obvious that they were all infected. Puppy never came home alive from that visit and within the year they were all gone. They remained healthy and normal for a while, months even, but they would start to lose weight, eat less and get frail looking. That's when we knew it was time to let them go.

Aldistar

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 12:06 pm
@Reyn,
Oh, Reyn! She is quite the looker! Congrats again!
Reyn

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 12:11 pm
@Aldistar,
Aldistar wrote:

Oh, Reyn! She is quite the looker! Congrats again!

Thanks!! Now all I've got to be careful on is not to let her accidently get out. Embarrassed Shocked

Being a former outside cat (she's 1 - 1 1/2 years old), she'll know what that's about!

Our cats have always been 100% inside.

And besides, the complex rules are that they must not be allowed to roam.
mm25075

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 05:35 pm
@Reyn,
Do you have a collar and name tag you can put on her just in case she gets out?

How about a micro-chip?

Better safe than sorry, especially if she is like one of my kitties who is a great escape artist.
Reyn

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 05:52 pm
@mm25075,
Sophie, and all the other shelter kitties have a tatoo in her ear, but that won't do any good if something horrible happens.

Vivienne and I had a good long talk about this and have stategized on solutions on various scenarios.

There's no way it's happening again.
roger

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 05:59 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn, I've been fighting this battle with Nerm, and only trying to keep him at night. I warn you, they never forget and they never quit trying.
roger

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 06:01 pm
@Aldistar,
Thanks, and yes I worry about the testing. They won't do the vacination without testing, as the vacination itself could make them test positive. I have to wonder what they would do if an older cat tested positive, without showing symptoms.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 09:24 am
@msolga,
Believe me, Msolga, Miss Molly earns her rest fair and square while outside on security watch.
And now....

The oldtimers' corner.

Nekochan ejoys her midmorning brunch of kibble and rainwater,
with a view, right next to Oldtimer in its new digs - a large ceramic planter- and inside for the duration.
This spot is exclusively hers and is respected by the other two.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/nekonomad/nekonomad0269A.jpg
msolga

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 07:29 pm
@neko nomad,
Quote:
The oldtimers' corner.

Nekochan ejoys her midmorning brunch of kibble and rainwater,
with a view, right next to Oldtimer in its new digs - a large ceramic planter- and inside for the duration.
This spot is exclusively hers and is respected by the other two.

Which is exactly how things should be, neko! You put in the good miles, you deserve respect & your own special place when you're an oldie! I approve! Very Happy

(For those of you who don't know, "Oldtimer" (neko's plant in it's new pot) has endured & flourished, despite a number of very close shaves!)
BorisKitten

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 07:52 pm
Hello,

My name is Happy Rug... for obvious reasons.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2421/3957591194_0512e9845e.jpg
msolga

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 07:53 pm
@BorisKitten,
Very Happy Laughing

Hi there, Happy Rug!
BorisKitten

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 08:02 pm
@msolga,
Hubby gave him this name: I usually call him "Waddle Fluff" or "Pouffy Toes."

He has the biggest, pouffiest feet of any cat I've ever met (and I've met lots!).

Happy is, let's see, 14 months old, adopted from a local shelter so we don't know his heritage.

He's not fat, just, um, Big-Boned, and Fluffy! Er, right?

OK, 11 lbs about 2 months ago. A Large Pouf!

Nothing disturbs The Hapster, except maybe the vacuum cleaner. Very calm, loves his 3 dogs, and loves to be carried about on mom's shoulder. Ideal cat, in my mind.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 08:03 pm
Time for a photo from a friend..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/5731_1187597042860_1016316869_57730.jpg

That's Tabitha considering the newbie, Mickey..

I adore this photo - it reminds me of Imogen Cunningham's photo, the Unmade Bed.

I probably like it better than he photographer Imogen.Cunningham's photo and that's saying a lot.
If anyone wants to reproduce it, I'll give you his name so he gets credit - this was not born from my osso photobucket account.
msolga

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 08:05 pm
@BorisKitten,
Quote:
He's not fat, just, um, Big-Boned, and Fluffy! Er, right?

Right, BK!!! Smile

He can't believe his luck! (What a brilliant adoption! What a stroke of luck! )

I can tell by his expression. Smile
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 08:12 pm
@msolga,
I was once very small! When mom heard the vet say "He needs to gain weight," well, mom fed him!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2468/3957634786_7bbcfe1c07.jpg
That's a water-bottle cap I'm touching, there. This would be, let's see, 13 months ago.

I 'sploded!