A Digression Thread: or old furniture in a new house.

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 06:58 pm
I'll bring the Red Cap:

http://www.brickbeer.com/images/main/side_brick04b.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 06:59 pm
Tai Chi wrote:
Damned funny.

I once saw Peter O'Toole in a play about a British journalist (and drunk) called "Jeffrey Bernard is Unwell". I most remember his comment about drunks whose favorite tipple is white wine having "breath that smells like drains" which is, of course, so true that it's hardly worth mentioning <grins>.

I soak Thompson raisins in Bombay Sapphire gin and eat 8 before bed every night. This is apparently a homeopathic remedy for arthritis. I am not an alcoholic. (Am I?)

I like white wine.

Does drinking it normally make your breath like old drains, or is that just drunks who use it?

I love G & T, but I am prone to treat it like a soft drink, and drink too much of it, since it tastes so un alcoholic. It is an immensely civilised drink...makes me feel all Rajish (which wasn't, of course, immensely civilised, but thought it was)

It makes some go on crying jags, though.

I also adore vodka straight from the freezer......love the way it makes your shot glass all frosty. I feel all Russian. I love the Zubrovka, with the grasss stem init, also.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 07:06 pm
dlowan wrote:
Tai Chi wrote:
Damned funny.

I once saw Peter O'Toole in a play about a British journalist (and drunk) called "Jeffrey Bernard is Unwell". I most remember his comment about drunks whose favorite tipple is white wine having "breath that smells like drains" which is, of course, so true that it's hardly worth mentioning <grins>.

I like white wine.

Does drinking it normally make your breath like old drains, or is that just drunks who use it?

I have never felt civilized the morning after a white wine binge -- but maybe that's just me Embarrassed
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 07:07 pm
In college in California, I had four or five (deeply freakish) friends from Alaska. At least two of them told me about an Alaskan joke to play on outsiders, which is to keep grain alcohol in the deep freeze (which is to say, outdoors in the winter) and serve them to visitors as an Alaskan martini. The deep cold, they say, makes the alcohol impossible to taste, and the unsuspecting chap can be got to drink three or four of the flavorless concoctions within a few minutes with the right sort of manly encouragement/baiting. This, of course, renders the butt of the joke insensible if not unconscious.

Good times in Alaska.

I miss my Alaskan friends, but they all dropped out of college and went back to Alaska. Maybe there's something about life up there that I'm just not hep to....
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 07:13 pm
I don't think, in all of my drunks, that there's ever been a drunk I could blame on white whine alone.

But if champagne is any indication -- I've had some wild nights and dismal mornings attributable to champagne, other libations, and merry company -- white wine may be a destroyer of all reasonable thought. For even the whiskey drinker is left with the whiskey burn to remind him, "I've been drinking, and so should exercise some degree of caution in the course of my casual decision-making)," whilst the white-wine drinker may sally forth into inebriated activity thinking they have merely had a mild afternoon tipple and are therefore capable of acting according to unguarded instinct when as a matter of fact all faculty for rational thought has been stolen away by the commercial followers of Dionysus (which is to say, the Ernest & Julio Gallo, who also manufacture one of the most disengenuously sweet burgundy jug wines in production) and they are caught out as drooling morons quite unawares.

This is a digression thread, isn't it?
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 07:16 pm
Indeed.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 07:54 pm
Daddy has a Harbor Seal
That Seal is so uncouth!
When it mixes Dad's martini
It adds too much vermouth.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 07:57 pm
Wow! Sealpoet in person! ("We've never met, Hi, I'm T'ai Chi," she blurted, nervous at meeting a celebrity...)
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 08:05 pm
G'day, Seal...

We've missed you!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 08:09 pm
Ummm....Stoli, Gin, and Vodka. I'll bring the snacks.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 08:13 pm
SealPoet wrote:
Daddy has a Harbor Seal
That Seal is so uncouth!
When it mixes Dad's martini
It adds too much vermouth.

it's about danged time!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 08:16 pm
Sealpoet! Well I'll be fucked right and raw.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 11:06 pm
Yay!! Seal Poet--where ya been? Good to see you, please stay around for a change.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 11:19 pm
daddy had a harbour seal
it hid itself away
but pushing the right buttons
has helped it to display.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 11:24 pm
Daddy and his harbour seal
Came back to visit us....
Don't let hin get away again!
Let's bind him with a truss!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 01:16 am
dlowan wrote:
Daddy and his harbour seal
Came back to visit us....
Don't let him get away again!
Let's bind him with a truss!

I'll second that! Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 05:59 am
and I agree. A very happy Florida dolphin welcomes back a seal.

http://www.webweaver.nu/clipart/img/nature/ocean/dolphin.gif
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 06:16 am
He just teased us!

Get that delphinium dolphin after him!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 06:02 pm
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 06:41 pm