A Digression Thread: or old furniture in a new house.

mac11

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:24 am
The actual dimensions of my balcony are 11 feet by 3 1/2 feet. (I said it was the world's smallest - maybe it's just the world's skinniest!)

I have a sliding glass door that leads out to the balcony, and it has 3 foot glass panels on each side that don't move. So there's about 9 feet of glass and not much wall surface out there. No cover and temperatures in the 90s for the months of May to September. (That's 32-37 degrees C.) It's generally pretty breezy here. Sometimes very breezy - my neighbors' plants seem to get blown over a lot!

Does any of that change your thoughts on my balcony, dlowan?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:42 am
Hee hee! When I described mine at the local good plant shop, and asked what plants I should try, they suggested plastic!!! I am invincible!!!!

What plants are surviving on your neighbours' balconies? Obviously you need heavier pots than theirs!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 09:34 am
Hmm, I've seen thriving bromeliads and ivy and others I can't identify. There's a neighbor down the hall who has two balconies (imagine!) and one of them is full of plants. I should ask her for recommendations... Very Happy
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 10:20 am
Useda have a 3 foot by 8 foot balcony. Faced due east. If you leaned out over the street and looked south you could just see Mt. Rainier on a clear day. When it wasn't clear, you could watch the crazy guy across the street fiddle with his new truck or his outdoor fish tank, or threaten the crazy woman upstairs with a bat and call her a whore. I'd sit out there smoking with my back against the apartment wall and my legs propped up on the balcony rail. Nonetheless, used to barbecue out there in fair weather, letting my carinogenous charcoal smoke waft up to the floors above. A-yup, a fine little balcony that was.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 10:23 am
Well, you've got me beat for skinny balconies, patiodog!

Yes, I find neighbor-watching to be fairly entertaining. Hopefully, they don't feel the same way about watching me!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 10:29 am
Nah, I've got a big back yard and a big front porch now, and my neighbors are as boring as dry dirt. (And hopefully they find me the same way.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 01:41 pm
Yes, Macs, look to the owner of the two balconies, take note of the plants, and hie thee to a good plant shop!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 04:14 pm
Well, here we are in new digs AGAIN!

This time the sofas really DO look way too tatty - they have to go - what sort of sofas suit a digression thread? Perhaps those new ones that you can make a thousand different settings out of?

Come - sing our digressive song in a strange land....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 04:21 pm
dlowan, Get leather. Wink_ c.i.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 04:36 pm
Hmmmm - do not so much like leather - but it is durable - only rich, brown, saddle leather, though - hate that pastel stuff. And it does handle animals well, too - maybe it will be leather - deep sofas - lots of little writing tables - reference libraries - a nice bar - lots of dress up stuff in a lovely, Indian chest... bird perches ----

I was re-reading this digression before i posted, and it has been a humdinger!

Now - here i am - poor as the proverbial church mouse - and that mention of the Indian chest was no accident- I have fallen in love with a huge, old one. The place would give me a loooooooooong lay-by - they know me, sadly....

So far I am resisting.....but I need my resolve stiffening. Do any of you know how to stiffen resolve, screw my noage to the sticking point, sickly o'er the native hue of resolution?

heeeeeeeelp!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 12:49 pm
I think self-flagellation and self-denial is involved in stiffening resolve.

Never tried it myself, though! Confused
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 02:47 pm
Heehee - i must try that!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 09:26 am
patiodog wrote:
Over time, the fuzzy forms became dimly aware (for dim they truly were) that the extent to which they were distinct was dependent on their proximity to the humans. When they humans were nearby, the bits of fuzzy mathematical probability on what was most often their undersides would constrict into four furry excresences, two modest flat -- almost two-dimensional, it seemed -- protuberant folds would develop over what they sensed was their anterior region, and a bits of pink nanonothings would coalesce and congeal, dripping, at a point below and roughly equidistant from the two folds.

The humans, over time, became not unaware of the fuzzy could-bes, as well. Only they felt ever so slightly repulsed by them, and, as they would dimly (for they, too, were none-too-bright, even without other nondivine beings to compare them to) sense their presence and move away.

Nonetheless, the fuzzy bits of ether were able, time and again, to gain a degree of nearness to the humans before the pink-naked creatures would edge away into the underbrush. Then, one fine day, they were able to get particularly close to the pink-one-with-external-genitalia as it was straining at his stool, and, caught unaware, the human took fright, leapt up, and ran away, trailing feces. In this sudden brush with the humans, the fuzzy ones became as distinct as they had ever been, the space between the folds wrinkling and spiralling to reveal to glassy bits of nothing which almost resembled they eyes of the humans, their little claw-symbols scratching at the earth.

Now, it was not known to the humans at the time, but when an individual consumes a high fiber diet, their stool contains bits of them, because the indigestible cellulose abrades the walls of the digestive system as it passes through. The fuzzy ones found that they lost some of their distinctiveness as they drifted away from the stool. In a moment of intuition which would forever alter the course of human history, one of the fuzzy ones engulfed a turd. Immediately, the folds became ears, the spirals eyes, the excresences legs, and -- out of the pure joy of creation, of sumthinfrumnuthin (as they say in teh great frosty north of what is now Europe) -- a tail began wagging over the posterior end. She -- for it was a she-fuzz who had the first fateful inkling -- urged the other probability cloud to engulf what remained of the human's droppings, and soon both dog and bitch were in existence.

To this day, racial memory impels them to follow those unwillingly generative humans around, and to occasionally munch on the life-giving shite.

So endeth the lesson.

I was looking over this thread, for a reason too complex to bother with here, and I thought this post worth repeating....
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 10:15 am
'Tis a fine old thread.

Though what might have dredged up this particular offering (of which I have no memory at all), I cannot imagine -- especially given jjorge's early contributions.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 10:18 am
What was the "best used before" date of this thead?

Has not this thread, in fact, expired?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 10:50 am
Oh, but I like seeing that dawg post again..
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 05:24 pm
Yeah, quit yer moanin'.........

Patio, somebody asked for a Just So Story about how dogs came to be connected with people, and I began it...you finished it.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 06:38 pm
And apparently there was a forbidden fruit angle.

I miss SealPoet
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 07:15 pm
patiodog wrote:
And apparently there was a forbidden fruit angle.

I miss SealPoet

Yep.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 09:49 pm
The bunny just made my day by posting PDog's brilliant story. Bringing back good memories, good people and fine writing.

Seal Poet is sorely missed.
0 Replies