Music Stars Angry Over Katrina

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 07:25 pm
March 10th, 2006 1:37 am
Faith Hill, Tim McGraw Blast 'Humiliating' Katrina Cleanup

Country Stars Lash Out in Anger Over Conditions in Storm-Ravaged States

ABC News

Faith Hill and Tim McGraw -- two stars who usually stay out of politics -- blasted the Hurricane Katrina cleanup effort, with Hill calling the slow progress in Louisiana and Mississippi "embarrassing" and "humiliating."

The country music artists -- who are natives of the storm-ravaged states -- were at times close to tears, and clearly angry when the subject of Katrina came up during a news conference today. They had met with reporters in Nashville to promote their upcoming Soul2Soul II Tour, but when asked about the hurricane cleanup, the stars pulled no punches.

"To me, there's a lot of politics being played and a lot of people trying to put people in bad positions in order to further their agendas," McGraw, a 38-year-old native of Delhi, La., said after ABC News Radio's Dan Gordon asked about Katrina.

"When you have people dying because they're poor and black or poor and white, or because of whatever they are -- if that's a number on a political scale -- then that is the most wrong thing. That erases everything that's great about our country."

McGraw specifically criticized President Bush. "There's no reason why someone can't go down there who's supposed to be the leader of the free world … and say, 'I'm giving you a job to do and I'm not leaving here until it's done. And you're held accountable, and you're held accountable, and you're held accountable.

"'This is what I've given you to do, and if it's not done by the time I get back on my plane, then you're fired and someone else will be in your place. '"

Hill: 'I Fear for Our Country'

The president had actually spent the day in New Orleans, getting a close-up look at boarded-up buildings and mountains of debris, noting that the city still suffers "pain and agony."

Along the president's route, some frustrated residents held up signs in protest, one asking "Where's my government?" and another telling the president to "cut the red tape and help us."

Hill, who grew up in Jackson, Miss., echoed those sentiments. So overwhelmed, she uncharacteristically unleashed an epithet, calling the situation, "Bull- - - -"

"It is a huge, huge problem and it's embarrassing," she said.

"I fear for our country if we can't handle our people [during] a natural disaster. And I can't stand to see it. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out point A to point B. . . . And they can't even skip from point A to point B.

"It's just screwed up."

Earlier in the day, McGraw and Hill had reason to celebrate. Their duet, "Like We Never Loved At All," was nominated by the Country Music Association as the Vocal Event of the Year.

The couple rarely voice political opinions, though they've been active in raising money for Katrina victims.

McGraw is a member of the American Red Cross National Celebrity Cabinet, and in the days after the hurricane, he and Hill joined a mission to take supplies to Gulfport, Miss. At the Sept. 2 "Concert for Hurricane Relief," he appealed to fans to reach out with donations.

But under most circumstances, McGraw relies on easy charm when dealing with the media. In 2004, he actually told Time magazine, however lightheartedly, that he was thinking of going into politics. "I want to run for the Senate from Tennessee … Not now, but when I'm 50, when the music dies down."

"Wouldn't Faith make a great senator's wife?" he joked.

Then again, maybe he wasn't joking.

Reported by ABC News Radio's Dan Gordon in Nashville, and written by ABCNEWS.com's Buck Wolf in New York.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,154 • Replies: 43
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 07:27 pm
I gained new respect for these two after reading the above article.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 07:30 pm
I'm really not much into country music - did see Tim McGraw in concert though - however I do like them. They seem to be a good loving couple (more so than most you see in the limelight).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 07:32 pm
I don't care for their music, but what they said today is priceless.
0 Replies

mele42846

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:51 am
Black people better hurry back to NO or the entire state will revert to Republican hands.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:17 am
I applaud Tim and Faith for what they are saying and for their efforts. It's kind of hard being from Louisiana right now and listening to the rest of the country/world talk about us.

If everyone is so concerned about getting this mess cleaned up why did it seem so easy for some to seemingly just put this aside for a Mardi Gras celebration? Three blocks from where they held Mardi Gras they are gutting and demolishing the homes of those that lost them.

Some say it's good to see New Orleans trying to go on with their lives. I say the people that lost their homes and their very way of life deserved better. All the money that went into Mardi Gras should have gone to those people. That's just my opinion.

It's going to take a long time for Louisiana and Mississippi to recover. I think the first step is getting the priorities straight. Tim and Faith seem to be trying to do that.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 09:15 am
I hear what you're saying, Momma, but I disagree. I think the people that have returned to NO needed to give themselves a party. Would we cancel Christmas if a disaster struck? No, we'd change it a bit, scale it down (not necessarily a bad thing) and be a bit more reverent about it.

From what I understand, Mardi Gras is self funded. Although NO wasn't totally dedicated to the tourism industry, it was pretty reliant on it. Using a scaled back Mardi Gras as a party for those who have returned and as a notice to the rest of the country that the city is rebuilding and the tourists should come back was a good move IMO.

Mr B and I will be travelling to NO in April for Jazz Fest. Last year we went as one of four couples. This year we are the only ones going. The others don't want to see a scaled back fest and don't want to spend their travel dollars to visit NO when it isn't in its full glory. We feel that visiting NO during its rebuilding is a sign of faith in the people of NO and a testament to them that we love their city as much as they do. If we can help by funneling money into the city by being a tourist then we will. While we're down there we'll look for other ways we can help, as did some of the guests during Mardi gras. Bringing the tourists back is a positive step in the rebuilding of New Orleans.

OTOH, the national response to the rebuilding of the Gulf Coast has been a disaster and I fully agree with the sentiments in the article above in that regard.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 10:46 am
J_B,

I can see that side of it also. There are still many evacuees here and they are growing frustrated and want to go home. I guess they might have felt a bit sad that they couldn't be part of Mardi Gras in New Orleans this year. I feel for them. All they want to do is go home.

I just hope and pray that this will be settled for them soon. I know they are homesick and it's getting more difficult for them in that respect.

Maybe things like Tim and Faith speaking out like this will help, especially with them being from Louisiana and Mississippi. I hope so.
0 Replies

mele42846

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:47 pm
Many of the evacuees have lived in the lap of luxury since Katrina-courtesy US taxpayers--Idiot Country Singers who probably know nothing about how the government works have no expertise or reason to blah-blah!!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:54 pm
I'm not so sure that many are sitting in the lap of luxury, mele42846. Do you have a source for that?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:56 pm
Lap of luxury? I see. I suppose the hundreds of evacuees that had to stay in the State Farm Building on cots, with no privacy were living in the lap of luxury? I suppose the evacuees that stayed in the emergency shelters with hundreds of others were in the lap of luxury?http://www.smileys.ws/smls/yahoo/00000012.gif

Oh, I guess you mean because the government finally had to put them up in motels/hotels? Is that what you mean? It's not like they were staying in four star hotels or something. They had nothing. NOTHING! No clothes, no personal effects, nothing. Their lives have been destroyed! But, be of good cheer, they stopped paying for them to have a place to stay in the middle of February. Now, many are on the streets because they have nowhere to go!http://www.smileys.ws/smls/yahoo/00000012.gif

If the citizens of Louisiana are not upset about the evacuees "living in the lap of luxury" off of our state and federal tax dollars, I don't think you ought to be spouting off about it quite frankly.

What did YOU do to help? Have you gone to New Orleans to help clean up? Have you sent a care package to anyone? A letter? Anything? What have you done? Oh, besides spend your tax dollars JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE? http://www.smileys.ws/smls/yahoo/00000012.gif

Ticked? You bet I am. It's true some (very few) took advantage of the governments handouts, but the majority of these people want their lives back, and I for one, will do what I can to see that they get it!http://www.smileys.ws/smls/yahoo/00000012.gif
0 Replies

mele42846

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 11:17 pm
J_B

Re: Luxury Vacations

Try

kutv.com/topstories/topstories_story_247162326.html
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 11:18 pm
Your link doesn't work.
0 Replies

mele42846

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 11:25 pm
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 11:29 pm
MY GAWD! How dare anyone want to have some privacy and take a bath and be free! The absolute nerve. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

mele42846

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 11:31 pm
When my uncle lost his house to a tornado in Kansas in 1979, he came to live with us. It's called family! An old outworn custom.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 11:32 pm
The story is dated Sept 4th and it says they have to pay the hotel bill with reimbursement to be decided on a case by case basis. There isn't any indication the people in the hotel were indigent. The man interviewed was an attorney who could afford the bill. There also isn't any indication that this is an on-going situation.

From your original post:
Quote:
Many of the evacuees have lived in the lap of luxury since Katrina-courtesy US taxpayers--Idiot Country Singers who probably know nothing about how the government works have no expertise or reason to blah-blah!!

I don't see how your link many any claim to what you said about evacuees living in the lap of luxury since Katrina, or that taxpayers are footing the bill. Country singers might not have any knowledge about how the government works, but it doesn't seem to be working to well.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 11:34 pm
mele42846,

Well, then thank the good Lord that you had family you could go to. A lot of these people were with their families in the shelters. A lot of the people that lost their homes had family members that also lost their homes. Those that had family went to family if they weren't in the effected areas.

Why are you being so hard on these people? I'm sorry but I am not getting the feeling that you really realize what they have gone through. There are a couple of hundred evacuees here in my town. They want to go home. They want their lives back. Who can blame them?
0 Replies

mele42846

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 12:13 am
Well. I think the best way to start is to have a MILLION REFUGEES MARCH, funded by well meaning Americans, on DC. That is where the trouble began and ended, is it not?
Clinton would never have let the people suffer.He had a heart as big as Monica's mouth!!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 12:15 am
Disgusting comments.
0 Replies