I Swear You'd Think This Was Fiction

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:04 am
Shocked

Quote:
Sharon Bishop complained on Feb. 24 about a swollen thumb. She had jammed it at work and worried that she had dislocated it. David Bishop took her to Betsy Johnson Regional Hospital, where doctors gave her pain medication and sent her home.

The swelling got worse. By the morning of Feb. 27, her arm was twice as large as normal and looked like it would burst, David Bishop said. Fluid leaked from her elbow and wrist. She complained of terrific pain.

Dunn physician Abraham Oudeh diagnosed necrotizing fasciitis, an infection that destroys tissue.

Doctors at UNC Hospitals that evening tried to stop the spreading infection by amputating her arm at the clavicle and removing all the muscle and tissue around her left breast, torso and thigh in a futile effort to save her life.

Full story here.
Flesh Eating Bacteria
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 854 • Replies: 15
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:05 am
Brown Recluse?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:06 am
Nope. Flesh eating bacteria.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:07 am
I just read the article but I'm still going to blame the spider.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:07 am
Ok

Sounds ok to me since we don't have them here.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:46 am
Do anybody know about some less powerful strain of flesh eating bacteria have been mutated artificially in labs to reduce cancerous Tumors in controlled conditions,

I remember this been read\seen somewhere (Magzene or television)... do anyone have ideas?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:06 am
They said she could have picked up this bacteria anywhere?!!!!????

Is this stuff spreading?!
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:17 am
Chai Tea wrote:
Is this stuff spreading?!

No it isn't communicable ... I mean not from person to person... but yes there are increasing number of events like these

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/info/necro_e.html
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:18 am
Quote:
Harnett County Health Director John Rouse Jr. said Bishop's was one of two confirmed cases of the bacteria that his office investigated in recent days after being notified by state health authorities. He said he believed the other woman, whom he also did not identify, knew Bishop.

Rouse said it would be impossible to determine whether they passed the bacteria to each other. Rouse said the other woman is recovering.

So it's not hopeless, even if you get it.

But yikes.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:36 am
Haven't read the article, but my recollection is that it's a strain of Strep A - same stuff that causes strep throat, slightly mutated. Or, was it a staph?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:42 am
The whole necrotizing fasciitis thing was big news in Canada about a dozen years ago, when Lucien Bouchard lost a leg to it.

cbc archives

Quote:
rapidly spreading infection of the underlying skin and fat layers caused by a variety of pathogenic bacteria, principally Streptococcus pyogenes, also known as the group A streptococcus. Popularly known as the flesh-eating disease, necrotizing fasciitis is an uncommon condition, but it can lead to life-threatening illness and death

bit of brittanica

what is necrotizing fasciitis from the NNFF
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:43 am
Note to self: If your arm ever swells up ot the point where it is leaking fluid from the elbow, run, do not walk, to the nearest ER.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:13 pm
I Swear You'd Think This Was Fiction
Unfortunately, it's very possible. Once this gets started it's almost impossible to stop.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 11:25 am
Re: I Swear You'd Think This Was Fiction
Tomkitten wrote:
Unfortunately, it's very possible. Once this gets started it's almost impossible to stop.

Looks guys it doesn't spread one fine day.. These bacteria need a cut or incision on skin to invade the flesh. So when you get cuts make sure you apply antiseptic. This is Best precaution to the problem.

also if you have diabetes, AIDS or Hepatitis (where the immune system is down) you fail in stopping these bacteria. Take antibiotic under concern of your doctor.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 11:28 am
I find that after a weeks course of strong penicillin and a daily rub with an antiseptic ointment, it looks as good as new.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:21 pm
Can you define "it" more detailed, Spanky?
0 Replies