Video Voyeurism Nets Man 56 Year Sentence

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 04:10 am
The Monroe New-Star in Monroe, Louisiana ran this today:

Quote:
56-year sentence first under voyeur law
By Elizabeth Fitch

A West Monroe man on Wednesday became the first person in the 4th Judicial District to be convicted and sentenced for video voyeurism.

As first reported at thenewsstar.com, Judge Stephens Winters sentenced James Boudreaux to 56 years in prison for secretly taping his teenage stepdaughter. District Attorney Jerry Jones called the sentence, which was based on law that originated in Ouachita Parish, a "benchmark."

"You didn't just videotape your (stepdaughter)," Winters told Boudreaux. "You did, in a sense, 'video rape' her."

In January, Boudreaux, 42, 640 E. Olive St., Lot F, West Monroe, pleaded guilty to 14 counts of video voyeurism for filming the victim from January to April 2005. He admitted to setting up a camera in her bedroom and capturing illicit images of her partially and fully nude. The tapes also contained footage of Boudreaux masturbating with a pair of the girl's underwear in his hand.

In an unplanned address to the court, the victim described how the violation changed her life. Boudreaux had raised her from the age of 8. She said she no longer leaves her bathroom unless fully clothed and is too ashamed to attend school.

"This was my stepfather," the victim said. "This was my daddy. Every day I have to think about this."

Defense attorney Bryan Racer called numerous character witnesses, including co-workers and Boudreaux's brother, Michael Boudreaux, who all described the defendant as a dependable man and a hard worker.

Boudreaux also took the stand Wednesday, and spoke directly to the victim. Boudreaux focused on his stepdaughter throughout the two-hour hearing, even turning to glance at her just before he received his sentence.

"I'm sorry I hurt you and embarrassed you," Boudreaux said through tears.

Video voyeurism became illegal in Louisiana after a 1998 case involving Ouachita Parish resident Susan Wilson. Steven Glover, then a family friend, set up cameras in Wilson's home without permission. Glover pleaded guilty to unauthorized entry of an inhabited dwelling and received a suspended sentence because video voyeurism was not then illegal. Both Wilson and Jones lobbied the Louisiana Legislature to outlaw video voyeurism. Wilson has since testified before numerous governing bodies in an attempt to get similar laws passed.

Wilson appeared as an expert on the victim's behalf Wednesday about the suffering that video voyeurism has caused her, saying she slept in a closet for two years because it was the only room where she was not videotaped.

"I feel as if a protective layer of my skin has been ripped off," Wilson said. "I don't have the life I used to have. He took away who I am."

Video voyeurism carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison. Winters sentenced Boudreaux to four years per count to be served consecutively, in part because he had two prior felony convictions.

"Judge Winters showed today that the court will not treat this a frivolous charge, because it's not," Jones said.

Boudreaux also must register as a sex offender.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060309/NEWS01/603090318/1002
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 9,503 • Replies: 0
No top replies