Catching your breath when your kid has asthma.

boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:58 am
There really has to be. Mo's behavior has changed since he has been on these steroids.

Quote:
These children also scored worse than those with intermittent asthma symptoms -- or those with no asthma symptoms at all -- in a measurement of their task orientation, such as their level of concentration, and in a measurement of their shy/anxious behavior, the report indicates.

I wish the article had been a little clearer on that.

We had a very promiscuous epidsode in the coffee shop yesterday. We haven't had one of those in a long time.

As usual, the object of his affection was quite charmed.

He introduced himself, then introduced me by name instead of the typical "mom".

We spent the rest of the day at home.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 12:47 pm
Well check this the hell out:

Quote:
Psychological Factors Implicated In Development Of Asthma
As asthma rates have surged in recent decades, scientists have searched hard for causes of the disease. Genetics, exposure to allergens, and infectious diseases are all suspects. Researchers at National Jewish Medical and Research Center have now added another risk factor for the development of asthma--the early psychological environment of the child.

An eight-year prospective study of 150 children, published in the October 2001 issue of Pediatrics, indicates that parenting difficulties in the first year of a baby's life increase the chances that the child will develop asthma. Children in the study whose parents coped poorly with the demands of parenting were more than twice as likely to develop asthma by the time they were 6 to 8 years old than were children whose parents did "okay." The report is the first to document psychological factors in the development of asthma.

"Asthma is a complex disease with many contributing factors," said Mary Klinnert, Ph.D., National Jewish pediatric psychologist and lead author of the study. "Many of the children in our study with well-adjusted, caring, effective parents still developed asthma. But our results do indicate that the psychological environment of the child may play a role in the development of asthma."

The researchers followed 150 children from before birth until they were 6 to 8 years old. The children were considered genetically at risk for asthma because all their mothers and some of their fathers had asthma. Ninety-three percent of the mothers were Caucasian, and most families were middle and upper middle class.

The researchers assessed parenting difficulties in a 60- to 90-minute semistructured interview with the mothers three weeks after the baby's birth, well before the appearance of any asthma symptoms. The interview evaluated a variety of factors including a mother's emotional state, the support she receives from family and friends, the parents' care-giving knowledge and sensitivity to the child's needs. Following the interview, parents were rated on a three-point Parenting Risk Scale, generally summarized as: 1) things are going okay; 2) there are potential problems that should be reassessed later; and 3) there are clear problems in the care and emotional environment of the child.

The researchers also documented respiratory infections, ear infections, and eczema during the first year, and serum IgE levels at six months. IgE, is an antibody associated with allergic reactions.

Forty of the children, 28% of the group, developed asthma by ages 6 to 8. Statistical analysis highlighted two main risk factors that were associated with asthma at age 6 to 8: serum IgE levels and parenting difficulties. An elevated IgE level at six months increased odds of developing asthma by 2.15 times. Parenting difficulties documented at three weeks increased odds of developing asthma by 2.07 times. "It is becoming increasingly clear that a child's physical environment during the first months of life can promote the development of asthma. Our findings indicate that we should consider the emotional environment as well," said Klinnert. "Our results, however, should not be used to unfairly blame parents. Rather, they should reinforce the importance of providing support and education to new parents and their children."

Klinnert and her colleagues speculate that parenting difficulties may influence the development of asthma through a couple of mechanisms. A poorly coping parent may expose the infant to greater emotional stress, which may alter both immune and inflammatory responses. Both are implicated in asthma. Also, an adult coping well with parenthood may recognize medical problems and intervene earlier than a parent having difficulty, thereby reducing the severity or duration of the infant's airway inflammation.

Mo is batting a 1,000 for asthma indicators.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:01 pm
Wow!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:12 pm
In case anyone is interested, I thought this site was excellent.

Asthma
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 03:25 pm
Hey Boomer
Sorry I'm late. I've been busy seetting up my new computer.
I have read about half of the responses and it seems like all the bases have been covered. I was born with asthma and I've been on albuteral and steroids (prednisone) and I've never had a problem with twitching at all. At least not that I've noticed.
The only side effect I got was from the prednisone and all that did was give me tons of energy, moe style ;-)
Anyway, I wouldn't worry now that Moe has been diagnosed and given the meds he needs to maintain the asthma.
He might be a bit grumpy for a few days after he's off the prednisone, but other than that, it sounds like he'll be fine.
He'll probably need an inhaler for the rest of his life, but that's no big deal.
Just make sure the inhaler goes where ever Moe goes.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 03:28 pm
I just read a bit of that report stating asthma can be triggered by psychological reasons and I think that's hogwash. If anything, I think it's cause by pollution.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 09:43 am
That's a good link, Bella, thank you. I'm still working my way through it.

Thanks for stopping by, Montana.

You mean to tell me that after five days of manic Mo I now have a few days of grumpy ahead of me?

<sob>

It seems that a lot of the information I've read here and elsewhere makes a real distinction between preschoolers and school aged kids and the way they handle the meds. Maybe it will get easier for him as he gets older.

I wonder if I can get a refill and extra tube-thingy to keep in my purse so that I don't always have to worry about it being left behind whenever he goes visiting......

I've always heard that stress can trigger an attack. You don't believe that to be true?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:11 pm
Stress is definitely a factor, boomer. But then, natural adrenalin can sometimes help. So stress actually works for and against an asthma attack.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 06:46 am
Boomer
Yeah, unfortunately coming of of steroids can be irritating :-(
You probebly won't be able to get an extra refill for the inhaler, but I'm sure the doc would have no problem giving you an extra prescription.
If not and the puffer is not used twice a day, when you go for another refill, you'll still have plenty left over in the other one and you can throw that one in your purse.
If Moe isn't using the puffer on a daily basis (twice a day), you'll have several extras in no time.
Oh, stress can surely trigger an attack, but I don't think it has anything to do with the cause.
I was born with asthma and no one knows why, but I thing more children are getting asthma these days because of the increased levels of pollution in the air and all the chemicals they are putting in our food these days.
This is just my personal opinion of course, but I do notice a huge difference in my asthma when the quality of the air is not very good.
For example, I live on the coast and there are times when because of the moisture, we get high levels of mildew in the air and I do suffer during these times.
Mildew and mold are also very bad for asthma and it is proven to be one of the causes.
There are cases where people have died from mold that was right in their homes.
If there was a leak in your home somewhere (usually near the bathroom), it can cause mold build up and this mold is poision to the resperatory system.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 07:55 am
boomerang wrote:

I wonder if I can get a refill and extra tube-thingy to keep in my purse so that I don't always have to worry about it being left behind whenever he goes visiting......

I have two inhalers.

Ask the doctor if they have any samples in the office for you to keep as a carry along. They generally don't have as many puffs but in an emergency, they'd be a life saver.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 03:38 pm
I remember when I was first diagnosed with Asthma when I was around 4 having been rushed into the ER late at night, scary stuff, I didn't know what was going on. The main reason I remember that was because I'll never forget the young lad in the bed next to me who was in because he'd swallowed a pound coin Laughing

Another time I remember talking to my Mum about something, my asthma had been getting progressively worse over the previous few days and I literally didn't have the energy to take in anything she was saying. The next thing I remember was asking, politely as you like, if I could sit down at which point I promptly dropped to the floor. I've discovered over the years that my problems stem, almost exclusively, from exercise.

I'm not sure which information to take seriously anymore though, one study says this, another that. I feel like the breathing exercises and even just the awareness of how I'm breathing and how often etc that I've naturally acquired have really helped me. As the years have gone by it has actually become far less of a problem personally although I suspect I'll never fully get rid of it.

There were times in the past that it really got to me I have to admit, I was so annoyed that it stopped me from doing things specifically to do with exercise like athletics and such, it felt so debilitating at times which made me so angry. You adapt, you grow, you move past it, in some way or other. I hope Moe keeps well, I really do. It does get better as you get older for most people, you just become so much stronger. Being on guard and understanding my limits etc became second nature to me as well.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 01:25 am
I remember my childhood experiences with asthma. My mom holding me while I tried to breathe, me gasping for breath like a grounded trouch. Oh, it wasn't fun.

For some reason once I got into my teenage years it went away completely, I am how frequent this is though.
0 Replies

john5859

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 10:52 am
Impact of Asthma on Psychological Development in Children
I have asthma and have had it since I was 4 years old. (1967) I'm trying to figure out what impact asthma has on a childs emotional development. I'm also trying to figure out what impact the medication that I took back on the late 1960's and 1970's had on this development. I know I could not do what other kids did like play sports and I'm convinced the asthma played a very big part in the fear and anxiety that I suffer from today.
I would be interested in other people thoughts on the this.
Thanks J
0 Replies

john5859

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 11:09 am
Justt Reading About Mo
I was just reading the posting about Mo. I wonder what impact the asthma and medication will have on his psychological development. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on the effect asthma has on a developing child. If your child can't do what other children do, if the medication he is taking affects his moods, slows him down, speeds him up, what impact will all of this have on his development. I suspect it can't be positive. I would appreciate feedback from those who of you who have been asthmatics since early childhood and what impact it made on you. My personal belief is you can grow up feeling alot of anxiety and not really know its source.
Thanks J
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 12:14 pm
Hi John and welcome to A2K.

That's an interesting question, I'd like to hear of people experience regarding that aspect of asthma.

We've been lucky that it has not become a real problem for Mo. Right now it only seems to affect him when he is sick with something else. He has a hard time shaking things off.

I can really see how it might inhibit someone and create a lot of anxiety.

Stress triggers are my biggest concern as Mo is wired a bit differently than most kids when it comes to stress.

And yeah, the medication does affect his mood and behavior. When he had to take those steroids I was just exhausted by him. I can't imagine having to deal with him and a roomfull of other kindergarteners. I'm worried about how a teacher would respond. I definately see where there might be issues in development.

The medicine they have now is seemingly very effective and has limited side effects. In the 60s and 70s it was a different show entirely. I grew up in those decades and remember the "asthma kids" who always had to sit on the sidelines.
0 Replies

john5859

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 12:54 pm
Thanks for your reply
Glad to hear Mo is doing fine. I think we take it for granted that medicine is good for us, unfortunatley, the side effects can be just as bad as the primary illness. (but still I am thankful we have them!!) As a kid with very bad asthma, I use to think that I was slower than the rest of the kids in class but as an adult, I realize now it was the side effect of the medication. (Lack of attention, focus, spacey.. Drugs will do this to a developing mind)
Also, I believe asthma slows your development when you have to sit on the side lines. You know how kids are. They can be brutal to other kids when the other kids don't fit in. I use to think we learned most of what we know from our parents. I'm convinced we learn more interacting with our peer groups. It really prepares us for the real world...I wish teachers and parents back in the 60's realized this. As a parent of an asthmatic child, it is so important to make sure the child fits in.
Thanks for responding!
J
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 05:24 pm
I have no doubts that kids can be brutal.

At the time I was growing up "sick" kids weren't really seen much. When they were they were always viewed as fragile and they came with warnings. I always felt sorry for them and I was a little afraid of them.

I think now that so many diseases are managable that a lot of that pity and fear have disappeared. I hope so, anyway. But I'm a grown up now with a kid who is "sick" and maybe I just have a different perspective.

I worry a lot about that fitting in thing for Mo, I doubt you even want to get me started on that!
0 Replies

john5859

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 02:18 pm
Mo
Thanks for your reply. It really does help to see someone elses perspective on things... It sounds like Mo can be a handful. I don't mean to pry but is there something else other than the asthma? It sounds like you are dealing with other issues. In any event, I wish you all the best and I thank you for sharing your thoughts with me...
J
0 Replies