Catching your breath when your kid has asthma.

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 03:46 pm
Baked in lasagna works.
Sprinkled on salad works.
Brewed in tea works.
Baked in banana bread works.

Lotsa non-inhalation options.

~~~~~~~~

So back to the jittery-making asthma drugs.

They are jittery-making. No doot about it - but they are life-saving. People of my generation died of asthma when we were kids.
The antibiotics available now are also much safer than the ones of 40+ years ago. Just watch out for the group of antibiotics that makes your teeth and tongue change colour Confused

boomer - make absolutely absolutely sure there is none of the inhaler in Mo's mouth after use - rinse rinse rinse. It can cause thrush which leads to other problems.
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 03:52 pm
I am not proselytizing. My comments are based on material available on the subject on-line. One must always take personal counsel in these matters.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 03:52 pm
Rinse and if possible, gargle.

Mr. Noddy had episode after episode of thrush on his vocal cords.
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 03:55 pm
Thrush is gross.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 04:15 pm
uuhhhhggg....

I'm learning so much about asthma here...poor kid.

If you don't mind educating me a little...when you get jittery, doesn't it also effect you mentally, like you feel nervous and anxious?

When I would get anxious, I would tighten up and have a hard time breathing, soooo…does the side effect of the drug get in the way of treating the asthma?

Also, non-jittery drugs have been mentioned….are they not used as much, and if not, why?

Bella mentioned about the increased heart rate, I'm guessing it also raises the blood pressure too. Doesn't your blood pressure have to be closely monitored too?

ehBeth, when someone would die of asthma, would be be during an acute attack? Or is it more that the disease was effecting the whole body?

I read that asthma is increasing so much…I'm sure because of pollution, but what other reasons could their be for the big increase?

God, I hope this is something he outgrows.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 04:17 pm
I'm a believer in medical marajuana too.

It is good to know this stuff about washing your mouth out. There is nothing in the patient literature about that at all.

I will make sure that he rinses well after using.

Thank you all for that.

What kind of antibiotics make your teeth change color? And, to what color?

Mo was constantly sick when he was little -- hospitalizations, the whole bit, he has little orange bands on a couple of his teeth. Could that have been caused by antibiotics?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 04:38 pm
Chai Tea wrote:

If you don't mind educating me a little...when you get jittery, doesn't it also effect you mentally, like you feel nervous and anxious?

When I would get anxious, I would tighten up and have a hard time breathing, soooo…does the side effect of the drug get in the way of treating the asthma?

It just makes me physically jumpy and I can feel my heart. So to a kid, who has no clue what's going on, it really might cause panic and lead to stress on the airways.

Chai Tea wrote:

Bella mentioned about the increased heart rate, I'm guessing it also raises the blood pressure too. Doesn't your blood pressure have to be closely monitored too?

I was never told to watch the BP but my BP has always been very good so perhaps it does raise it some. Anyone with asthma and high bp out there?

Chai Tea wrote:

Doubtful. It's a chronic condition that if treated properly, can allow the person a normal healthy life but like my doctor said, even if the symptoms aren't there it doesn't mean that the asthma is gone.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 04:47 pm
Bella - that is exactly what I think I'm having such a hard time with -- treating it even when there aren't any symptoms!

This is something that is just a huge learning curve for me.

I'm learning a lot here too, Chai! Thank you everyone.

Mo gets "twitchy" when he uses the Albuteral but it goes away pretty quickly. I notice it when, say, he reaches for something and his hand will twitch.

The other medicine, the Prednisolone just makes him hyper. and overly emotional.

My dog takes the same medicine and it makes her normalish. Without it she hardly moves at all. With it she acts like a typical 14 year old dog.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 05:06 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
uuhhhhggg....

I'm learning so much about asthma here...poor kid.

Also, non-jittery drugs have been mentioned….are they not used as much, and if not, why?

ehBeth, when someone would die of asthma, would be be during an acute attack? Or is it more that the disease was effecting the whole body?

I read that asthma is increasing so much…I'm sure because of pollution, but what other reasons could their be for the big increase?

I have only recently had to take puffers again, and it is mainly, for me, a REALLY uncomfortable physical jitteriness, tachycardia etc...however, as an adult, I can sort of separate one from the other.

I bet kids can't.

My set point is pretty jittery anyway, though, so I do not know if that makes it worse for me.

My blood pressure went crazy, which I assume was taking far too much ventolin, as opposed to the steroid puffer, before I went back and got checked.

The steroid one sends me nuts, too, though.

Oh...I "outgrew" it...to the point, at least, of mebbe getting a bit wheezy when I exercised only, and had no meds for thirty yerars.

Then had a recent really dangerous bout....now nothing again.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 08:41 pm
huh, you don't impress me as a jittery person. really.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:29 pm
I've had asthma all my life. One of my earliest memories is waking up in an oxygen tent in the hospital when I was 3. The allergies weren't diagnosed until I was 6. The early meds I remember were pills called Tedral at home and adrenalin shots in the ER. I can't remember what age I first used an inhaler. I remember having it on my desk in 5th grade, just in case - that would have been the late 60s.

Anyway, albuterol (one brand name is Ventolin, I don't remember the others) definitely makes me jittery/shaky. I've never had a bp problem. I now use Singulair and Advair (a steroid inhaler) every day and rarely need the albuterol inhaler, only about once a month or so. My asthma is under control - I haven't needed the ER in about 10 years, and I used to go several times a year. It was definitely hard to accept the fact that I'm an asthmatic all the time, not just when I'm wheezing.

I hope Mo gets past this spell quickly, boomer. Please keep us posted.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:33 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
huh, you don't impress me as a jittery person. really.

I try to hide my levels of ambient anxiety...even from myself.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 07:48 am
mac11 wrote:

Anyway, albuterol (one brand name is Ventolin, I don't remember the others) definitely makes me jittery/shaky. I've never had a bp problem. I now use Singulair and Advair (a steroid inhaler) every day and rarely need the albuterol inhaler, only about once a month or so. My asthma is under control - I haven't needed the ER in about 10 years, and I used to go several times a year. It was definitely hard to accept the fact that I'm an asthmatic all the time, not just when I'm wheezing.

I am taking singular alone and I don't feel like my asthma is under control...and am fighting with my doctor about it right now. He tells me it's acid reflux, the up at night coughing. I doubt it but sure, let's just leave that option on the table.

My last pulmonary test was at 85%, and the doctor said while he was not impressed, he was also not worried...they didn't worry until it dropped below 80%. I had an infection at the time as well so I assume he assumed that my "normal" percentage was better.

I have an appointment on Monday with him and may have to discuss Advair with him. I don't want to do the whole steroid thing but it seems like my Singular is no longer working. Confused Is that possible?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:28 am
I was browsing in the APA parenting section

or actually, children and families ...

and this caught my eye

or actually the link from the APA page to this ...

Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Preschoolers with persistent asthma symptoms may be more likely to get into fights with their peers or otherwise have more behavior problems than children with less severe asthma, a study finds.

"These findings suggest a clear need for an early biopsychosocial approach to care for vulnerable children with asthma," according to study author Dr. Jill S. Halterman, of the University of Rochester School of Medicine in Rochester, New York, and colleagues.

"The combined burden of asthma and behavior difficulties could have a significant impact on children and their families," Halterman told Reuters Health.

<snip>

Quote:
The reason for the association between persistent asthma symptoms and worse behavior is unclear.

"The stress related to having asthma might contribute to behavioral problems because the family's focus on the medical issue may make managing behavior more difficult," according to Halterman. "On the other hand," she speculated, "behavior problems may make managing asthma symptoms more difficult."

It's also unclear whether the persistent asthma symptoms preceded or followed the children's worsened behavior.

Regardless of which comes first, Halterman advises parents and teachers of children with asthma to "watch for problems in their child's behavior."
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:30 am
I do think that's possible, Bella. Your asthma can change for the better or the worse due to lots of factors: seasonal allergies, work conditions, stress, other health issues.

I used another steroid inhaler before Advair came along - can't recall the name. Anyway, that's what really turned me around in the early 90s. And the steroid inhalers don't have the side effects that ingested steroids cause. Good luck with your appointment on Monday.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:33 am
I was just poking around to figure out which antibiotic did the dental staining. I know it's the one after the Biaxin, which made me totally psycho. Thought people were speaking to me in Punjabi.

<should call my dentist, he'll know right away>
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:38 am
Wow, and I thought hives and headaches were bad side effects of antibiotics! Shocked

Interesting article, bethie. (Let's hope Mo is the exception to that.)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:40 am
That is very interesting eBeth!

<waving hand madly in the air>
<call on me! I know! Mememememe>
<still waving hand>

I have a theory of what might connect the behaviors!

Maybe the freaking medicine makes kids go bananas.

Thanks, mac. The coughing/wheezing is clearing up quite nicely but we had some serious sleep disturbances last night.

Up
Down
Up
Down
Up
Down
Up at 3:30 and still up.

Seeing as how he is on the medicine again today I don't think a nap will happen....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:42 am
ooh - maybe it was the Biaxin

Quote:
Allergic reactions ranging from urticaria and mild skin eruptions to rare cases of anaphylaxis and Stevens-Johnson syndrome have occurred.

Other spontaneously reported adverse events include glossitis, stomatitis, oral moniliasis, vomiting, tongue discoloration, thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, neutropenia, and dizziness.

There have been reports of tooth discoloration in patients treated with clarithromycin. Tooth discoloration is usually reversible with professional dental cleaning.

There have been isolated reports of hearing loss, which is usually reversible, occurring chiefly in elderly women. Reports of alterations of the sense of smell, usually in conjunction with taste perversion have also been reported. <snip>

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/clarith_ad.htm

I tend to be on the highly-reactive-to-medication-side Confused
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:44 am
Yup, that's kinda what I was thinking Boomer.

Can't breathe, agitated.

Medicated, agitated.

Agitated, weirdish behaviours.

There would seem to be some kinda relationship in there.
0 Replies