Does this sound passive aggressive?

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 02:43 pm
And if so, would you mention it to your spouse? Btw, we are a blended family and still getting used to one another's quirks...

Stepdad decides he's tired and going to bed, so turns out all the lights in the parlor, leaving his 14 yr old stepdaughter talking on the phone in the dark. (She is allowed to use the phone until 10 PM, btw.)

8 year old son, who has been in trouble for throwing rocks, had the privelege removed, but reinstated, throws a rock and breaks a car window. He says, "It was an accident."

At school, 8 year old son will follow another boy into a bathroom stall; won't leave, when asked to.

6 year old son had oral surgery, and wants to eat canned peaches his mom bought for him to eat. His mom isn't home, and he asks stepdad. Stepdad tells him he can have that, OR ice cream for dessert later, after dinner, not with dinner. Mom finds out, asks spouse why, is told canned fruit is sugared, therefore not good-> will continue to cause the problem; that the boy could eat papaya (except that he doesn't like papaya very much) if he wants soft fruit, shouldn't have canned. The next morning, the son asks mom for his canned fruit and she gives it to him, rather than saving it for a dessert.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,254 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Chai

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 02:51 pm
It's the 8 year old that concerns me.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 02:59 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
It's the 8 year old that concerns me.

Me, too. But would you label those behaviors passive aggressive, or would they be called something else? And what about the other examples? PA, or something else?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 03:04 pm
hmmm, I can see how the lights might get turned off accidentally - old habits dying hard kind of thing. If she squawked about being in the dark and he didn't turn the lights back on then I might to ask whats up with that? Given that I have a 15 year old daughter who is nigh impossible to communicate with when she's on the phone, I leave open the possibility that he tried to ask her to turn off the lights when she was done but was ignored and decided to turn them off himself. You might want to hear his side of the event.

The 8 year old son and rock story has me confused. He got in trouble for throwing rocks, wasn't allowed to throw rocks for awhile, was given a reprieve, and accidently broke a window with a rock, right? Hopefully he has the means to pay for a new window. Walking into the bathroom stall and not leaving when asked sounds strange, but I don't know much from 8 year old boys. Other than liking to throw rocks and being strange in the bathroom, has he seemed otherwise adjusted to the new family makeup? This could all be 8 year old boy stuff - not too sure what to advise you on this one. Eight is a very outward age. They'll do things like walk in the road even though a car is coming - tempting fate kind of things.

I'm glad you gave the 6 yo his peaches :wink: I'd have done the same thing and probably wouldn't bring it up.

Perhaps the day for a general discussion on discipline is coming, but other than the bit with the phone I would probably let it slide for now. I'd also watch the 8 year old pretty closely and see if perhaps he's having some issues with the new culture. Have you talked to his teacher?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 03:23 pm
I found a link on personality traits. There are numerous aggressive personality traits including passive aggressive, borderline aggressive, and histrionic aggression.

Here's the list and there was a wealth of info at this site.

Quote:
NORMAL PERSONALITY:

A. Defining Personality
i. is it constant across situations?
ii. is it multifaceted?
iii. is it permanent, unchanging?
iv. where does it come from?
v. stable set of characteristics & tendencies that determine an individuals response to a varity of circumstances

B. Defining Abnormal Personality
i. inflexible, maladaptive traits that interfere with a person's ability to perform adequately in various soical roles:

CLUSTER A - Odd, eccentric, mistrust, constricted emotion
a. Paranoid - tense, guarded, suspicious b. Schizoid - socially isolated with restricted emotional expression
c. Schizotypal - peculiarities of thought, appearance, behavior, emotionally detached

CLUSTER B- Dramatic, emotional, erratic a. Antisocial - manipulative, exploitive, dishonest, disloyal, lacks guilt, breaks social rules, childhood history of troubled behavior b. Borderline - cannot tolerate being alone, intense, unstable moods and personal relationships, chronic anger, drug/alcohol abuse
c. Histrionic - Seductive, needs immediate gratification and constant reassurance, rapidly changing moods, shallow emotions d. Narcissistic - self-absorbed, expects special treatment and adulation, envious of attention to tothers
CLUSTER C - Anxious, fearful, avoidance tendencies
a. Avoidant - easily hurt and embarrassed, few close friends, sticks to routines to avoid new and possibly stressful experiences
b. Dependent - wants others to make decisions, needs constant advice and reassurance, fears being abandoned c. Obsessive-Compulsive - perfectionistic, overerconscientious, indecisive, preoccupied with details, stiff, unable to express affection.
d. Passive-Aggressive - resents demands and suggestions, procrastinates, sulks, "forgets" obligations or is deliberately inefficient
source
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 03:40 pm
PP--

I think all the jargon you need here is "Communication". Passive Aggressive is a term of value in a clinical situation, but you're not running a clinic, you're part of a home.

Does your new husband, your kids' stepfather, have any children of his own? Does he have any experience with kids?

Further questions:

How did your daughter react when her stepfather turned off the lights? Did he turn the lights off absent mindedly or with malice aforethought?
Were you dragged into the middle of this drama?

Like other posters, I'm concerned with the eight-year-old. Whose car window was broken? Did you disagree with your husband, his step father about disclipine at the time of the original incident? What about the recent broken window?

How do you think your husband is involved in your son's bathroom dogging behavior? Was this a once and done thing or has it happened frequently? Is he always dogging one particular boy or does he act this way with all the kids?

As for the six-year-old: Was the oral surgery connected to cavities and decay? What did the oral surgeon recommend for the post-op diet? Did you and your husband discuss care and feeding on the post-op diet?

Are you really asking whether or not your husband is abusive toward your children? Or whether his expectations are unrealistic? Or whether his presence is causing their misbehavior?

Your question as phrased is difficult to answer.

Blended families are frequently ungodly amalgamations. I know--I lived through one. Coming to solutions involves asking the right questions.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 01:12 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
PP--

I think all the jargon you need here is "Communication". Passive Aggressive is a term of value in a clinical situation, but you're not running a clinic, you're part of a home.

Does your new husband, your kids' stepfather, have any children of his own? Does he have any experience with kids?

Further questions:

How did your daughter react when her stepfather turned off the lights? Did he turn the lights off absent mindedly or with malice aforethought?
Were you dragged into the middle of this drama?

Like other posters, I'm concerned with the eight-year-old. Whose car window was broken? Did you disagree with your husband, his step father about disclipine at the time of the original incident? What about the recent broken window?

How do you think your husband is involved in your son's bathroom dogging behavior? Was this a once and done thing or has it happened frequently? Is he always dogging one particular boy or does he act this way with all the kids?

As for the six-year-old: Was the oral surgery connected to cavities and decay? What did the oral surgeon recommend for the post-op diet? Did you and your husband discuss care and feeding on the post-op diet?

Are you really asking whether or not your husband is abusive toward your children? Or whether his expectations are unrealistic? Or whether his presence is causing their misbehavior?

Your question as phrased is difficult to answer.

Blended families are frequently ungodly amalgamations. I know--I lived through one. Coming to solutions involves asking the right questions.

8 y.o is S(ignificant)O(ther)'s son. The car was SO's Isuzu, which is supposed to be for sale, and parked on the street. The kid threw the rock "on accident." He has a few behavioral problems, a few birth defects he's outgrowning or not, too...

I don't think SO is abusive, but he's a bit more controlling... in what seems passively aggressive to me... When asked about the lights, he claimed to be unaware she was in the room, although he walked right past her... He said we always forget to turn off the lights, so he has to always do it for us...

The peaches are going to wind up a fight, I can feel it coming on. My son wanted some more today for breakfast, and I told him he could, to ask his stepdad to open the can for him, and I heard SO snort and offer my son either orange slices or papaya instead. (His son was coming out, and he really doesn't want him eating canned food when there is fresh available. I can understand that, although don't believe that a wholesome diet is going to improve his son's problems, or eating canned fruit is going to impair his son any more than him eating frozen waffles (which my kids like) has. The solution this morning was to send my son off to shower while his son ate breakfast, then his son went to bathe and I opened my son a can of peaches. I rinse them, putting the juice in a glass, so they aren't that sugary and I only buy the ones that say lightly sweetened if they are significantly cheaper than those described as naturally sweetened. I don't see what the big deal is feeding kids what they like for breakfast, kwim? My kids have experienced the move as some sort of loss, even though they have very nice rooms here, our house is gone, our neighborhood is gone, they have to put up w/a step brother who has impulsive tendencies, is wild, is loud, is hard to live with... My 6 yr old hardly eats dinner, and can be very picky. SO insists we all eat together at dinner, and it's a challenge to cook, let me tell you... SO hardly ever bought~prepared red meat or pork or chicken, only fish and vegetables and grains for him and his child. We've suffered through all white meals, things like potatoes with tofu and cauliflower when we were assimilating. Perhaps he would add tomato soup, even though I repeatedly told him that we never buy it, can barely stand it even when it's served w/grilled cheese sandwiches. He would always act genuinely surprised we didn't like it, especially if we ate even a tiny bit to be polite. Otoh, he feels like he is suffering through a meal of kalua pig and cabbage w/rice, or beef and broccoli w/rice, which we think of as about the best... He usually does the shopping b/c I buy more than the budget allows, but then he buys what he always has, our preferences bought through his lens of what is right (like health food store vegan frozen waffles instead of Eggo, and blueberry, even though one of my kids won't touch a blueberry waffle if her life depended on it; so she only eats cereal.) Food is going to be the hill we die on, one of us, I can see it coming... And what is weird is that SO and I thought we were pretty much on the same page food-wise; we've been eating together for years now...

Oh, the dentist told me me my son should have soft foods for the rest of that day. The root canals were b/c an old filling fell out and decay had set in underneath... probably b/c the filling had been loose for some time or perhaps the old dentist's error in cleaning the cavity (new dentist b/c we are now covered under SO's insurance plans; same pediatrician, though...)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 03:39 pm
PP--

I think that the problem is more about power than about peaches--or any other part of the menu.

May I suggest that you and your SO get some objective counseling. You're both going to have to make some changes, not only for the sake of the kids involved but for your relationship.

Good luck.
0 Replies