Scumbag artist Thomas Kinkade exposed

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 11:02 am
Lash wrote:
Thomas Kinkade pees on stuff. That is hilarious.

LW will be ecstatic.

I thought that was how he lightens his paintings.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 11:03 am
cjhsa wrote:
Lash wrote:
Thomas Kinkade pees on stuff. That is hilarious.

LW will be ecstatic.

I thought that was how he lightens his paintings.

Maybe he is making an editorial comment to his patrons!
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 11:06 am
cjhsa wrote:
No dogs, only sheep.

ok, but is there a street wide enough for a winter sleigh ride?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 11:12 am
We just pull down our pants and slide on the ice.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:07 pm
Oh, you A2Kers can't leave Kinkade alone. Sorry he is taking up so much of your time.

His "canvas transfers" used to be done right over the gallery I was using to obtain art for clients and eventually worked for about a year. The process is cheap. They take a very low quality of canvas, treat an ordinary photo-offset print (a poster, basically) with chemicals, peel off the ink and mount it onto the canvas. Something like applying gold leaf. The inks are mostly vegetable dyes and extremely unstable. They will fade and change color even if they aren't exposed to much UV. Then Kinkade's elves (an industry euphemism for assistants), not Kinkade himself, daub paint on the canvas. The finished product is about $75.00 at the most. Then a cheap plastic (that's right, plastic) frame is installed, about $25.00 to $50.00 cost. The retail markup is a total rip-off, right around a $1000. for up to $3000. for supposedly sold out units. These "paintings" will not hold up for more than ten years before they begin to change color and fade. His signature isn't worth more than $15.00.

The elves also paint most of his paintings -- he starts them and they follow behind finishing the work. It's manufactured art.

He's lost several suits in the past not brought by gallery owners but consumers who were duped into paying for what was falsely sold to them as "real art." Some dopey people bought multiple pieces for "investment." Laughing Laughing Laughing

He is, of course, laughing all the way to the bank just like Tony Soprano.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:10 pm
BTW, he is now using the giclee process which is a computer scanned print which is then programmed to guide a row of ink sprayers, producing a print onto a canvas. The same elves get busy and daub the prints up with paint. The giclee process is suspect as far as longevity. Many prints, especially on canvas, that I have come across can experience seperation between the ink layer and the substrate. This means that eventually pieces of "painting" will fall off onto the floor. It could be like a jigsaw puzzle. The duped consumer can take crazy glue and reafix the pieces.

He's is known as the Pet Rock of the art industry.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:20 pm
Incidentally, those Kinkade suckers who are tired of his quaint little lighted cottages has now introduced his "plein air series." He has trained his elves to produce paintings that are supposedly executed on site (the meaning of plein air, also previously known as Barbizon). They never leave the studio -- they are using photographs and copying them.

Not only that, they are butt ugly:

http://kinkadekorner.com/images/giftbloomsbury.jpg

Surprise, surprise, surprise. They are his slowest sellers.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:43 pm
a Kinkade collector states
Quote:
"He is a modern-day Leonardo da Vinci or Monet. There is no one in our generation who can paint like that."
Her last sentence is sort of true. I am amazed at how people cannot tell bad art. I think that "the hustle" by his gallery partners is a practiced sales pitch that , like high pressure rel estate brokers, want you to believe his stuff is really important as art.

Like Keith Haring, hes kind of a joke whose time will end.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:55 am
Lash wrote:
They do have a mass-produced look--which I know sounds silly, because they ARE mass produced--but they look computer generated, or something. Hard to explain.

you can get your pictures to look like his if you have Photosuite.

It is the option called oil painting .. or something like that..
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 08:08 am
My mother-in-law did a Kinkade needlepoint pillow. I think he translates well into the craft market and should stay there.

http://altura.speedera.net/ccimg.catalogcity.com/200000/209200/209253/Products/8803517.jpg
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:38 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
There is something particularly odious about someone who bangs the Bible with one hand, while he stabs people in the back with the other.

Yeah, and I think that his work stinks too, big time. I think that cheap kitsch is the hallmark of his works. The only think that I can think of that's worse, are pictures of Elvis painted on black velvet! Laughing

exactly so

I wouldn't even buy Christmas cards with such tacky schmaltzy images
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:42 am
He does also has Christmas cards.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:44 am
The only product I haven't seen are Thomas Kinkade toilet seat covers.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:44 am
The fact that Kincade compares himself to Christ tells me he has a huge ego. He's just another cheesy artist using Christianity to gather the flock to buy his paintings. Nothing about guys like him surprise me anymore.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:47 am
That's not merely ego -- that's psychosis. Remind you of any world leader?
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 11:29 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
That's not merely ego -- that's psychosis. Remind you of any world leader?

A couple of 'em...Bush, Cheney and Castro. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 11:43 pm
God must have told Thomas Kinkade, a painter with limited talent, to become an expert marketer. He covered the number of paintings that had to be manufactured in order to really make money by hiring people to paint them. Just because he has elves doesn't make him Santa Claus. God must have told Bush how to market a war.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 11:16 am
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 01:11 pm
Id love to see his ass in some prison where hed get all the attention his ego needs,.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 04:50 pm
Knowing the extra-legal, but no illegal (although it should be) practices by the junk art purveyors, the only thing that will ultimately stop them is that those affluent enough to buy these over-priced manufactured "artworks" will get at least a limited art education to know that caveat emptor means what it says. There have been wingnuts on this forum trying to rationalize what this P. T. Barnum marketer has done in selling basically valueless "artworks" and duping an uneducate public in the name of free enterprise. That means that Tony Soprano is not a crook.
0 Replies