Food Poisoning (I almost just died)

RexRed

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:20 pm
I am still not out of the woods yet but I am finally starting to feel a bit better.

All from orange juice...

The product was completely sealed and long before the use by date and looked just fine...

I noticed that there was orange juice spilled on the outside of the plastic carton. I have noticed lately that the foods arriving at my local 7/11 are coming with the boxes squished and at some time even partially opened yet still on the shelf.

The other day I took some salami out of a store cooler and some bum had opened it and taken a slice out of the package and probably eaten it right in the store... Yet the partial pack was still on the shelf.

In today's mechanized world food can no longer be just simply trusted

I noticed the orange juice has a metallic taste but it still seemed ok.

I noticed that the orange juice had a strange flavor besides the metallic taste.

Then I notice the label on the cover that said that the product had a new "improved flavor"..

I figured the flavor change was due to this. So, I drank almost a whole large glass. Then when I reached near the bottom I dumped out the rest and replaced it with water. This probably saved my life..

What is my point?

Food quality, industry and shipping methods are leaving more to be desired today.

Parents sending their kids to the convenience store should be wary. These convenience store people must be being told to put the stuff on the shelf no matter what is wrong with it.

At least three times in the last six months I have pulled bad food off the shelves at my local convenience stores and brought it to their attention. Yet they still keep putting bad sub standard food up on the shelves.

They put the bad food first in line hoping someone will take it away with them... Lunch meat and beef jerky that is clearly not sealed properly...

I feel like suing somebody but that is not my style...

I don't know if I have ever been this sick... beware...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,383 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:22 pm
Rex,

I am so sorry to hear! I have heard food poisioning is just awful. I will say a prayer for you! Please take care.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:29 pm
Oh yea there were the Rolaids at Rite Aid...

I bought a large bottle of Rolaids. When I got them home I noticed the seal on the top had been carefully lifted off without ripping it and replaced back on. The lid secured it back down so I could barely tell it had been opened before.

The cotton inside was moved over to one side like someone had stuck their finger in and took out a Rolaid...

The Rolaids themselves were slightly discolored and stale...

What is this world coming to?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:30 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Rex,

I am so sorry to hear! I have heard food poisioning is just awful. I will say a prayer for you! Please take care.

Thank you very much, I need your prayers right now... Smile
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:41 pm
You got em!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:43 pm
I'll add mine for good measure :-)
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:58 pm
Thanks, your prayers are a comfort to me... I am feeling better and better by the hour...

My throat is horse and sore from gagging all day. I can't even hold water down, I haven't eaten a thing today. The hot and cold flashes and the shakes come and go and are overwhelming...

Yet I am feeling better and your love and prayers ARE healing to the body and soul...

I feel like the worst part is over. I have had food poisoning several times in my life yet this has lasted a whole day versus several hours ... I called the hospital today but was too sick earlier to even walk there. Yet now I don't feel that my condition is that urgent yet I am still unable to eat and drink fluids.

Take more care in what you eat... If it doesn't taste right stop!

The metallic flavor is an indicator... Even if it is in a sealed bottle and before the date... beware

God bless you and thanks for your prayers and concern...

You are the best! Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:50 pm
I noticed your post Intrepid before I posted the last reply...

Again thanks, both of you...
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:54 pm
Rex,

Do not get dehydrated. If you cannot keep liquids down you will have to go to the doctor. If you dehydrate you could be in serious trouble. If you still cannot keep liquids down tomorrow, please, please see a doctor.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 12:03 am
Rex, do you still have the carton? .....and do you have a public health inspector in your area?

In the UK, it would be the done thing to contact the P.H.I, tell them about your incident and supply the offending article, if at all possible.

They then look at the case and usually make a "swoop" on the premises in question, and carry out a full and rigorous inspection (goods on the shelves, general hygiene of back preparation areas, staff hygiene procedures/training etc)

They have the power to close a shop/restaurant if necessary, but will usually give them a week to get their place in order, and then carry out a follow up inspection.

The shop owners are almost terrified of these inspectors, which is a good thing as it keeps them on their toes and (hopefully) keeps their stock fresh and edible.

Hope you get well soon.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 12:07 am
Un huh. That food poisoning can be fast and severe, but it sounds like you're recovering. Still, if you suspect tampering, rather than spoilage, a call to immediate care might not be out of line.

That "new and improved flavor" caught my attention. I really don't like the idea that orange juice needs flavoring.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 12:16 am
You must report this to the proper authorities. Merchandisers push spoiled and rotten goods because we, the consumer, accept and allow it.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 12:20 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Rex, do you still have the carton? .....and do you have a public health inspector in your area?

In the UK, it would be the done thing to contact the P.H.I, tell them about your incident and supply the offending article, if at all possible.

They then look at the case and usually make a "swoop" on the premises in question, and carry out a full and rigorous inspection (goods on the shelves, general hygiene of back preparation areas, staff hygiene procedures/training etc)

They have the power to close a shop/restaurant if necessary, but will usually give them a week to get their place in order, and then carry out a follow up inspection.

The shop owners are almost terrified of these inspectors, which is a good thing as it keeps them on their toes and (hopefully) keeps their stock fresh and edible.

Hope you get well soon.

Good question, I still have the carton in my fridge...

I need to get it tested...

I am sure that is what it was...

It didn't taste right and the seal was still intact...

The bottle sported a label saying improved flavor... I already mentioned that though...

I won't mention the brand but the bottle was sticky with orange juice so I washed it off before I used it...

So much for watching my health... Smile

I need to get this looked into...

When I called the hospital they said there could be four hours before I was seen...

They told me they could not give advice over the phone... I would have thought they would have asked me questions about the juice and where I bought it. (to prevent a public health outbreak) But nothing was said and I was not referred to another number i.e. (poison control)...

That was after calling two hospitals...
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 12:42 am
Rex, usually, if fruit juice has been exposed to the air, it will simply ferment, becoming fizzy and giving it a weird taste. The fermentation may make it react with the inner lining of the carton, thereby enhancing the "improved flavour".

This could give you a bit of a stomach ache, eventually ending up as a vomiting session, or a day or two of the galloping majors, when you can't be too far from a toilet.

Unless it has been tampered with, I don't think that it is life threatening.

If it was a meat based product, then I would be a bit more worried.

Drink loads of water, and flush the stuff through as quickly as possible, IMO.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 12:43 am
roger wrote:
Un huh. That food poisoning can be fast and severe, but it sounds like you're recovering. Still, if you suspect tampering, rather than spoilage, a call to immediate care might not be out of line.

That "new and improved flavor" caught my attention. I really don't like the idea that orange juice needs flavoring.

That "improved flavor" caught my attention too. Frankly that was why I kept drinking it. Thinking it was my taste and not the product.
In hind sight it seems that maybe there is a fault in the preparation progress?

I don't think the product was tampered with but it did not have a paper/plastic foil seal that they are putting on most juices and milk today.

It had a typical milk cap that you pull off a long plastic strip around that leaves a top intact...

I think if it was e-coli I would be dead but maybe I could have fought it off. My immune system is fine so I am not sure what it was. I am so ignorant about these pathogens.

But I know food poisoning because I have had it at least three or four time in my life... My friends have had it too... It comes with sever nausea, vomiting and the shakes and hot and cold flashes and usually the worst part lasts about 4 hours... This I drank about one glass the night before slept and woke up dead sick.. (headache too)

My whole family used to come down with it years ago... Mostly from bad chicken... but my mom used to empty the fridge into her soups. hehe

Do you all remember the 24 hour "bug" that used to go around and be more frequent years ago? (I think that was food poisoning.) We (my family) would get so sick. Maybe this is why they treat our food with antibiotics?

Maybe a problem with the pasteurization? I don't know.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 12:47 am
That's my feeling about the "24 hour bug" as well.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 05:56 am
I agree with his Lordship. You would be doing your neighbors a good turn, if you reported the incident to the health department. hope that you saved the carton, so that the contents could be tested. Would you want someone else to go through what you have?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 10:58 am
Rex,

How was your night? Did you get any rest? Are you keeping anything, especially liquids, down yet? If not, please see a doctor.

Please update us.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 11:06 am
RexRed, I'm so glad you're feeling better. I think the food quality would be much better in a regular grocery store than in a 7/11. Perhaps you should shop at a Star Market instead of the local 7/11.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 11:55 am
Good point littlek. The turn-over in a regular supermarket
is far greater as in a small 7/11 convenience store.

I also agree with Ellpus' suggestion that the OJ was probably
fermented.
0 Replies