Is homosexuality a bad thing?

Eretiq

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 04:18 pm
Well, in that case i guess that sums things up. They do it because they can. Oh well, gays everwhere, keep up the great work, and since i can too, i will always have a few laughs whenever i see gays acting that way cause even if i try i can't take that kind of behaviour seriously. But in case someone has a better answer, i'll be glad to hear it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 04:46 pm
"Because they can" is a powerful thing.

For someone who has lived a life trying to blend, trying not to stand out, trying to hide who he really is -- the freedom to be able to be himself in such a public mileu is powerful indeed.

Of course, that doesn't apply to every gay person. Some people don't have to try to blend, because they have no particular interest in more typically gay signifiers, or because they're in an atmosphere where blending is not as important, or whatever. But for that group within the group who have both wanted to be able to be themselves in all of their flamboyant glory and haven't been able to...

I've felt it in deaf events. We're so used to having to make do, deal with everyday life, not be who we really are because there is no outlet for it -- and then when a bunch of deaf people get together, it's just this energy! People exulting in being part of a group, the camaraderie of it and the joy of it.
0 Replies

Eretiq

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 04:47 pm
Oh, and so that you get an idea why i won't give it a rest already : I have a problem with people following stereotipical patterns just because they think that's the right way to act, without giving serious thought to wheater they feel that way or not. Behaving effeminatly or adopting a feminine style in clothing, or even trying to develop a sense for fashion (another stereotipical gay trait) just because they think that's how gays should act is just plain wrong. And i bet there are plenty of gays that do that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 04:51 pm
I sympathize with that -- the aversion to people hewing to stereotypes -- but gay and lesbian people surely don't have a monopoly there! Vast swaths of the population (majority straight) do so as well.

I mean, this certainly applies to straight women:

Quote:
Behaving effeminatly or adopting a feminine style in clothing, or even trying to develop a sense for fashion (another stereotipical gay trait) just because they think that's how gays should act is just plain wrong.

Just substitute "female" for "gay."

One complication is that while it's less of an issue now, when gay people were most oppressed they had to figure out a way to find each other without tipping off the general population. Hence a bunch of external codes. I think that's fading along with the oppression.
0 Replies

Eretiq

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 04:53 pm
That doesn't apply only to gays, off course. But since this is the topic i just wanted to know wheater others believe, like i do, that they exagerate sometimes just because they feel the need to fit in or they feel a need for attention
0 Replies

Eretiq

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 04:55 pm
And going to those extents without caring for your true nature or feelings again is just wrong.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 05:01 pm
A need to fit in and a need for attention are pretty much polar opposites, aren't they? The first deflects attention -- I'm one of the group, don't mind me.
0 Replies

Eretiq

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 05:05 pm
Those don't apply to the same person. Some may do it because they want to fit in, because they think that's how gays should act. Others may do it because they just feel a need for attention that can be satisfied through those kind of measures.Oh, and about the "because they can" thing. It would be comparable somewhat to this situation : you are not allowed to drink until you're 18 and the day you turn 18 you get wasted. Do you look at that as a responsible behaviour. I know it's not the same, but going from one extreme to the other just because you can and not necesseraly because you want to... Well something's not right about that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 05:09 pm
Eretiq wrote:
I know it's not the same

You're quite right. ;-)
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 05:30 pm
I don't see what is wrong with going to extremes. That is your moral judgement. Sure, it may be annoying or silly or whatever; but it's not inherently wrong IMO.

It's kinda like when a preacher's daughter gets her first break at freedom from being told what to do and how to be: she tends to go a little wild. Big deal. Who are we to judge so long as it doesn't hurt us?
0 Replies

Eretiq

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 05:47 pm
Well, you'll have to give me credit, i did say "something's not right about that", not that it's wrong. I get your point and my revised point of view would be that doing things just because you can and not because you want to is not responsible and it's definetly not something i admire. Let's take the preacher's daughter for example : if she would go get wasted the first night she goes out, even though she never actually wanted to, and even more, she never really liked alcohol, and because all her friends do it, or other silly reasons like that, now that would be iresponsible. The same goes for gays dressing up like women. I bet most of them only wanted to not be persecuted anymore for their sexual orientation, but once that was over they decided to go a little crazy since other gays did it and in their mind that's what being truely gay is about. You are absolutely correct, it's not inherently wrong, but it's something that i don't agree with and personaly don't like and find ridiculous.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 05:59 pm
Gotcha, Eretiq.
0 Replies

atypical10

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 05:19 pm
No. Society discriminates because they are homophobic and religious reasons. We need to learn to except who they are.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 02:38 am
"Is homosexuality wrong?" and "Is homosexuality a bad thing?" are two different questions. An answer to the second one - no, I don't think so. Homosexuality is helping slow the world's pop increase rate (see next paragraph). The first question is one that we have to make up our own minds about.

Do we know whether homosexuality is on an increase, or whether more people feel unashamed to admit it? Is it possible that somehow our brains are detecting the nearing dangerously high population in our communities, and are responding by this by becoming homosexual and therefore preventing reproduction to happen?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 03:43 am
Gay Men's Brains Found Different

I am nowhere knowledgeable enough to assess the accuracy of this claim but it is on pro-gay website, and the research is by the UCLA School of Medicine scientists.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 06:48 pm
It is funny, whenever referring to the BIBLE?? as a source of
reference for some topic as today-ish as homosexuality.
The only negative mention of men having sex with other men
was because these people were TRIBAL populations who often
warred with OTHER tribal populations.
It was COMMON PRACTICE TO HUMILIATE THE LOSERS OF
THESE BATTLES BY TREATING THEM AS THE ABSOLUTE
"LOWEST OF THE LOW CREATURES" AND AT THAT TIME,
THERE WAS NOTHING LOWER THAN A WOMAN.

Even a cow, or a goat had so much more VALUE than a human
female. So, there was NO WAY you could treat another man
in any worse manner than by treating him like a woman,
consequently, by raping them, which was viewed as treating
them as women.
It is funny, but then it isn't. So few persons go out of their
way to study thiings that they CLAIM to believe in, body
and soul, so help me God. How SHOCKED they would be if
they could see how totally primitive these people were,
comparitively. And how misinterpreted isolated passages
of this GOOD BOOK have been used to harm, to maim, to
kill by the hundreds of thousands. Good grief, it IS nice to
see that at least here at A2K, our friends, our people are at
least well educated and open minded.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 06:55 pm
atypical10 wrote:
No. Society discriminates because they are homophobic and religious reasons. We need to learn to except who they are.

I think society discrimates because it is frightened. One more situation of xenophobia, except that there are possible intimations of self in some of the fear (not across the board, of course).

I think most men who don women's clothes do it because it is fun and they want to. And some need to.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:15 pm
We had a little activity in class this last weekend about same sex parents. Many schools in the Boston area have class-room libraries which include books on same sex parents. We looked at some of these books in my class. Some were more graphic than others.

In my little group of 4, we looked at two books. One was very sweetly drawn, about a girl with two mommies. She was at odds with her young classmates and the issue was happily resolved by the end of the book. No one had a problem with this book.

The second book was about two daddies. The three others in my group took more issue with this one - mostly because it showed the two men getting out of their shared bed in the morning. One went so far as to say she wouldn't want to expose kids to a man and women in bed together either. I pointed out that The Cosby Show, Everyone Loves Raymond etc showed couples in bed. That even the Brady Bunch did. And that many books show kids climbing into bed with their parents for a variety of reasons.

I figured that the discomfort came more from the fact that the book was more about the gay men than about the son involved. The funny thing was that the father had been married to the son's mother - the mother was still involved with the son. I would have thought that'd have made it all a little less disturbing to people.

And those in my little group were some of the more liberal of the greater group.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:39 pm
littlek wrote:
We had a little activity in class this last weekend...

How old are you??
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:48 pm
0 Replies